The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
QES Labs PAD-2 vs Burl B2 Bomber Stereo ADC shootout vid Digital Converters
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
This sounds like a contradiction to me. Is there a qualitative difference between the two models, when they are the same design?
Something got lost in translation i can see. When Doc said big difference he was referring to the cumulative effect of the clock on multiple tracks, not the difference in clocks, Im assuming.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Something got lost in translation i can see. When Doc said big difference he was referring to the cumulative effect of the clock on multiple tracks, not the difference in clocks, Im assuming.
If anyone was referring to Doc's reply to me. I was asking the difference between the CC2 and the internal clock on the IZ ADA II. That's where the "big difference" came into play. He was not talking about the 2 models of Grimm clocks, just to clarify.
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah but Rumi i think thought he was talking about the clocks being different, or maybe its me i dunno i barely had my coffee lol.
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you all for the clarification! It is starting to make sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Hi Rumi,
Since you are dealer, I ask that you contact the manufacturer yourself.
Maybe if the two of us were sync'ed through a Grimm, there would be less misunderstanding...

I was indeed referring to the logic of your statement. I doubt that a manufacturer can help me with that. But our fellow gearslutzers could and did!
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah but Rumi i think thought he was talking about the clocks being different, or maybe its me i dunno i barely had my coffee lol.
Are you trying to confuse matters again, eh? Please take your coffee first.
(I am joking! )

But maybe there is indeed some wisdom still to be discovered in Doc's statement?
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Do any of you guys use the stock version of the PAD-2? I'm considering getting one to track with.

Currently, I have a Lavry Blue. I'm wondering if there would be much of an upgrade from the Blue if I got the stock version.
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

I have the stock version and its pretty damn clear. What i put in is what i get out. That may not be what you are after though, ive noticed a lot of people say they want super transparent but end up not really wanting it and lean towards the colored end of things. So know you want it before you actually decide on what to get. If its really what you want, i dont think you will find anything better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the stock version and its pretty damn clear. What i put in is what i get out. That may not be what you are after though, ive noticed a lot of people say they want super transparent but end up not really wanting it and lean towards the colored end of things. So know you want it before you actually decide on what to get. If its really what you want, i dont think you will find anything better. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks so much for your advice, deuc647.
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Anytime
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Through all the samples I've heard, this unit is bordering on the ideal conversion, which IMHO must be clear,
as you described, what you put in is what you get on file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
Do any of you guys use the stock version of the PAD-2? I'm considering getting one to track with.

Currently, I have a Lavry Blue. I'm wondering if there would be much of an upgrade from the Blue if I got the stock version.
Did you watch this?
QES Labs PAD-2 -vs- Lavry Blue ADC Shootout Video
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb A View Post
Yes. I watched it and downloaded the files. I've been listening to them for the past week or so.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Guru

The exact unit from that video is for sale.
most transparent straight wire AD available.all the extras.Cardas silver XLR.Telfon pcb,large toroidal psu's.
insane price.
Qes labs pad2 ad converter
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
most transparent straight wire AD available.all the extras.Cardas silver XLR.Telfon pcb,large toroidal psu's.
insane price.
May we ask why you sell it?
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
May we ask why you sell it?
It came to down to not wanting a completely transparent mix capture.
Still using the burl which is less open and wide but adds some vibe I like.
Like my tape machines.
Old 4th November 2017
Lives for gear
Just wondering i know you had the mytek brooklyn ad. How does the transparent Qes compare to the mytek?
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
Just wondering i know you had the mytek brooklyn ad. How does the transparent Qes compare to the mytek?
The QES sounds more natural transparent or "real" to my ears.
Old 4th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
insane price.
I can't believe no one has bought this yet. All the bells and whistles added and at this price?

If it was in the UK I'd have snapped this up.
Old 4th November 2017
Lives for gear
I would have bought it no cash
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone get their hands on the newer Pad-2 Mk 2 yet? Any news on the Mytek Manhattan?
Old 4th March 2018
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Addict
Has in the meantime anybody compared the QED Pad ii converter clocked with a vs. clocked with i.e. a Mutec Isync directly to the D-sync input of the QES?

I know, difficult as the Pad I either comes with a WC input or then the D-Sync input. Looking for a nice AD at the moment that question is somehow critical to me. I do have a Grimm CC1, but if the Pad ii would make it as main AD in my studio I would be absolutely open to go a step further and use the D-Sync Input and buy an additional gear for that. But difficult if you can not try out that...

Daniel
Idee und Klang | Tonstudio und Audio Design - Basel
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idee und klang View Post
Has in the meantime anybody compared the QED Pad ii converter clocked with a vs. clocked with i.e. a Mutec Isync directly to the D-sync input of the QES?

I know, difficult as the Pad I either comes with a WC input or then the D-Sync input. Looking for a nice AD at the moment that question is somehow critical to me. I do have a Grimm CC1, but if the Pad ii would make it as main AD in my studio I would be absolutely open to go a step further and use the D-Sync Input and buy an additional gear for that. But difficult if you can not try out that...

Daniel
Idee und Klang | Tonstudio und Audio Design - Basel
I clocked it to the Grimm .
Not much difference.
We had to build an external box to take sync.it also cost me an additional 350 bucks.it took an additional 2 months.
Pain in the ass.
That AD box including the external sync box and shipping put me out well over 4K.
In hindsight it was a huge design flaw NOT to have regular wordclock inputs.
You also had the reset the unit every time you powered it back on.no memory when powered off.
Looking back 2 years later,although it did sound very clean and transparent it’s the biggest gear purchase regret I’ve had in years.
I sold it for less than half what I purchased it for.the mk2 version basically rendered resale to nada.
As a mk1 owner seeing the mk2 come to market made me feel like a prototype guinea pig tester.
Back to Cranesong and Burl.
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not much difference.
We had to build an external box to take sync.it also cost me an additional 350 bucks.it took an additional 2 months.
Pain in the ass.
That AD box including the external sync box and shipping put me out well over 4K.
You also had the reset the unit every time you powered it back on.no memory when powered off.
Looking back 2 years later,although it did sound very clean and transparent it’s the biggest gear purchase regret I’ve had in years.
I sold it for less than half what I purchased it for.the mk2 version basically rendered resale to nada.
As a mk1 owner seeing the mk2 come to market made me feel like a prototype guinea pig tester.
I actually got that sync box!!!!!! Havent put it to use yet though.
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I actually got that sync box!!!!!! Havent put it to use yet though.
yes glad you have that little doohickey!
Interesting I never found a big difference with or without it.
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes glad you have that little doohickey!
Interesting I never found a big difference with or without it.
Im gonna pair it with the BLA XB clock and see if there is a significant difference.
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Addict
Interessting. I talked with Eelco from Grimm, in his view it is problematic to directly clock an AD without PLL (Problems at the connections or various cables etc.). I guess the best thing would be for the Pad ii to equip the unit with both, a D-Sync and a WC input with a PLL stage.

As QES is a small company that directly deals with the clients and make built to order units only the chance is anyway little that I will go with QES, as it most likely won't be possible to make a intensive test with it.

I always have been critical to AD's and often I seem to have preferred other AD's than what usually other engineers are liking. I never have heard a AD - DA Loop that really is close to without the loop. I doubt that QES will be totally transparent on the way in. Maybe the width and depth are translated good, but is the punch and size of a snare and bass drum also transferred? Only a direct test would be able to tell.

To hear tests done by others is nice for a first impression, and it is not a surprise that it outperforms a lavry blue in many aspects, in a tests I have done when Lavry Blue, Prism Dream ADA and EMM AD8 were all quite new, for my ears, I never ever would have gone with the Lavry, as it was punchy but did not capture neither width or depth, so as an acoustic music engineer that AD was not suitable anyway.

I might at the end also end up with developing my own AD Converter, that does what I need. I have a guy with the tecnical knowledge at my side, it would be a difficult, but rather interessting project I guess:-)

Daniel

Quote:
Not much difference.
Pain in the ass.
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Guru

I'm glad to see the refined PAD2 mk 2 eventually came out.
IME the Pad2 mk1 was an under developed/work in progress product.
small company.good smart super nice guy running it.
the concept and ideas are great.clean sound,nice internal components, but lack of settings memory,standard work clock I/O and an insanely bright led meter felt like I got a somewhat primitive 'work in progress" unit.the unit itself was packed in a pretty beat up box.prolly recycled from another shipment[nitpicky but felt kind of DIY to me].
also kinda funny having an extra little wall wart powered external homemade clock box doohickey attached to it [for standard external word clock connection to the rest of the rig.Grimm,Burl,Avid]
I wish I'd waited for Mk 2 but hey I just didn't know.
anyways ..I've got a Cranesong Head Quantum coming shortly.
heard it last year.Brilliant.full AD/DA with multiple word clock I/O.
the new internal clock is insane.of course all the cool tape and tube saturation as well.all for less than I paid for the PAD.
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've got a Cranesong Head Quantum coming shortly.
the new internal clock is insane.of course all the cool tape and tube saturation as well.all for less than I paid for the PAD.
Quote:
I've got a Cranesong Head Quantum coming shortly.
Glad you’ve found your ad/da . Think I should thank you for helping me finding PAD 2 and I was lucky enough to get one of the first MK2, if not the first.

Have not tried CS HQ (or Grimm), but I find the clock in my std version of PAD 2 MK2 (halvprice of CS HQ ad/da) good enough to clock my system with Burl MS and SSL -> improvements and superstable. Conversion is really like ”what you hear is what you get”.

Ordered mine with double AES (+ 2 wc) who gives me the option to select between digital and analog listening through Genelec 8260 and also possibility to listen to what comes from Console and what goes into the DAW... with a click i GLM. The input leds is also the best I’ve seen so far... really useful.

Think what I want to say is that the PAD 2 mk2 std version does not cost >$4000 and in my opinion it is a great piece of Conversion also without additional $2000 for silvercables, super PSU etc.

Custom choice of extra outputs (and the already mentioned) doesn’t hurt either.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear
I still Like the Pad Mk1 one. It is very clear and deep in sound. It does bother me every time i have to switch sample rates. . The Led are very bright that is why they are below in the rack. I should be getting the crane song solaris. I am wondering how that will be. But it is a bit of a wait.
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
I still Like the Pad Mk1 one. It is very clear and deep in sound. It does bother me every time i have to switch sample rates. . The Led are very bright that is why they are below in the rack. I should be getting the crane song solaris. I am wondering how that will be. But it is a bit of a wait.
Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond their control Cranesong are behind in production of some products.
Anything with the newer clocks/crystals.
I ordered the Hedd Quantum over a year ago and still waiting.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 30th November 2018 at 06:03 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search