The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
QES Labs PAD-2 vs Burl B2 Bomber Stereo ADC shootout vid Digital Converters
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Roundbadge must be responsible for so much GS cash getting spent. I know I've based many a decision on his recommendations.
Tell me about it man...

He's a stone cold pimp I'm tellin' ya. It's like he sneezed, and the next thing I knew, I ordered the BBAD HG-2...
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah I've got pultec lust because of him

Must resist lol
Old 18th March 2017
Ha Ha, every time I think I have enough and I can get back to making music....
Old 18th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Roundbadge must be responsible for so much GS cash getting spent. I know I've based many a decision on his recommendations.

Scary thought.lol
Old 18th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Scary thought.lol
You should be on commission. Sleep well ;-)
Old 18th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
You should be on commission. Sleep well ;-)
Yup.
Interesting you say that,I've actually been offered sales weasel jobs as a result of my yapping here..no thanks.
Old 18th March 2017
Quote:
Yup.
Interesting you say that,I've actually been offered sales weasel jobs as a result of my yapping here..no thanks.
Where would you find the time?
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup.
That's reassuring...as you'd have a tectonic effect on the 'shilling' around these parts (and I don't mean the pecuniary connotation).

You'd be like the Pablo Escobar of shills, a scary thought indeed...
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Front running markets
Old 18th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
That's reassuring...as you'd have a tectonic effect on the 'shilling' around these parts (and I don't mean the pecuniary connotation).

You'd be like the Pablo Escobar of shills, a scary thought indeed...
Haha!
Old 19th March 2017
A happy user of the HEDD here. Transparent and natural sounding - to record through & on the two buss.

If I record or use my aurora for anything I'd immidiatly notice it's fluffy, bit grainy and not as clear.
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Guru

lots of testing.the Pad2 is fantastic.looking forward to hearing it properly clocked to my system.
Also I don't think I'm going to sell my B2.
still great for lots of things.options are good.
it may not be the most open or transparent AD but it does something that no other AD does...adds focus,punch and weight to the mix.for certain types of material its just the best way to go.
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
lots of testing.the Pad2 is fantastic.looking forward to hearing it properly clocked to my system.
Hey RoundBadge,

Is the metering on the Pad2 RMS and peak?
Old 9th April 2017
AB3
Lives for gear

Is the rawest version of the QES as transparent as getting more of the bells and whistles?
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
I looked into the product and read up on the website and I had zero idea this was the case. I'm sure it's there but I don't think you can fault someone for seeing two coax posts on the back of the unit one that says "WCK out" and the other that says "Ext. Sync IN" and not realizing that they need a secondary device to clock the unit externally.
I heard you can choose the option on the newer units.
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Nut

I don't think any external box is needed.
Just checked with Val. The unit is configurable. Choose the WC sync input option and you're set.
Old 13th June 2017
Here for the gear

Question for rb how are you monitoring the new adc are you monitoring off the board? Or are you monitoring post conversion through an alt ?
I currently have 48 in and out on a symphony io 1 running off my ssl g+se and looking for something higher quality that's super 3D and just running some ideas through my head. Even considering maybe printing to a separate rig at higher rate.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Is the rawest version of the QES as transparent as getting more of the bells and whistles?
I have the standard version with the silver cable. I haven't been able to compare it to the "bells and whistles" version, but I can tell you that I really like the recording quality I'm getting. It's replacing my UA2192 as my AD converter. The clock is really nice too. Switching between the UA and the QES, the difference is apparent. My only gripe is the meter can't be dimmed. So my suggestion is to move the unit away from eye level as much as needed to make things comfortable. All in all I'm really digging it. My 2¢'s.
Old 12th July 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
I used the Acousence arfi-adc2 with a very similar approach like the PAD and tried the clock out alternatively to my Grimm CC1 for clocking the Lynx Aurora and/or the Metric Halo ULN-8 (Acousence as master).

Result: I sold my Grimm. I prefered the clocking via Acousence.
But this is only a side side benefit. The inner dynamic, detail and musicality is the reason I like the converter most.
have you heard any remarkable improvement in the sound of the ULN8?
I am thinking on changing the "poor(?)" Power supply of the ULN8 or Clocking it externally or buying a new converter (although I think the ULN8 is still a great choice!)

I used once the Forssell MADA2a as master clock for ULN8. there was no improvement in sound at all, just degradation of ULN8's sound in a weird (typical externally clocked?) way!
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

I compared the Acousence and the MH side by side and the difference is definitely audible.

It´s best you just hear yourself.
I think Rumi can help in Switzerland.
Old 12th July 2017
SEA
Lives for gear

I'm curious how the new Crane Song Interstellar will AB with the PAD-2.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babmusician View Post
have you heard any remarkable improvement in the sound of the ULN8?
I am thinking on changing the "poor(?)" Power supply of the ULN8 or Clocking it externally or buying a new converter (although I think the ULN8 is still a great choice!)

I used once the Forssell MADA2a as master clock for ULN8. there was no improvement in sound at all, just degradation of ULN8's sound in a weird (typical externally clocked?) way!
Hi Babak,

I own the ULN-8 myself, so if you're moved to call me, we could have a talk about Acousence vs. ULN-8 (in short: I don't like the ULN-8 AD, but do like the DA). I have also compared the Acousence AD to some other converters, including UA and Burl, and prefer the Acousence. The Burl is nice, though.

A friend compared the Acousence to the Forssell and some other converters, and called the Forssell "a little glassy sounding". He said that the Acousence was the reference in all his tests in regards to purity and clarity.

Apart from the Acousence's transparency, what is most impressive is its musicality. Some say that's an artifact, which I doubt. But even if it was, who could mind improved musicality? It seems like micro-details of the musical performance are preserved in a way that I haven't experienced before. The soundstage is relaxed, very detailed and clear, and beautiful.

Last edited by Rumi; 12th July 2017 at 09:48 PM..
Old 12th July 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
Hi Babak,

I own the ULN-8 myself, so if you're moved to call me, we could have a talk about Acousence vs. ULN-8 (in short: I don't like the ULN-8 AD, but do like the DA). I have also compared the Acousence AD to some other converters, including UA and Burl, and prefer the Acousence. The Burl is nice, though.

A friend compared the Acousence to the Forssell and some other converters, and called the Forssell "a little glassy sounding". He said that the Acousence was the reference in all his tests in regards to purity and clarity.

Apart from the Acousence's transparency, what is most impressive is its musicality. Some say that's an artifact, which I doubt. But even if it was, who could mind improved musicality? It seems like micro-details of the musical performance are preserved in a way that I haven't experienced before. The soundstage is relaxed, extremely detailed, and strikingly beautiful.
. Hi!
sure I already sent you an email :- )

. Yes. I like the dac of uln8 very much. but the adc does not satisfy me 100%. maybe 89% ;- ) i've done many classical records by it though. fine. but,... how should i say, i think sometimes the music deserves more!

. I compared the uln8 and forssell side by side. both are good. they both have their own weaknesses... everybody knows forssell here on gearslutz. so i don't waste any words ...

. musical: this is a very puzzling term, to me at least! I think it comes from pop/rock world!?
to me musical does not mean anything positive, if its resource is coloration: it can sound beautiful (musical?) in a specific music and can sound absolutely unattractive (not musical?) in another one. i just do not like to be dictated by the converter. that's why i am looking for a (close to) neutral one. then I can decide myself if I need coloration or not, depending on the music!

. anyway.... I'd still love to listen to acousence and other converter like pad2 or interstellar... let's see!
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
. Hi!
sure I already sent you an email :- )

. Yes. I like the dac of uln8 very much. but the adc does not satisfy me 100%. maybe 89% ;- ) i've done many classical records by it though. fine. but,... how should i say, i think sometimes the music deserves more!

. I compared the uln8 and forssell side by side. both are good. they both have their own weaknesses... everybody knows forssell here on gearslutz. so i don't waste any words ...

. musical: this is a very puzzling term, to me at least! I think it comes from pop/rock world!?
to me musical does not mean anything positive, if its resource is coloration: it can sound beautiful (musical?) in a specific music and can sound absolutely unattractive (not musical?) in another one. i just do not like to be dictated by the converter. that's why i am looking for a (close to) neutral one. then I can decide myself if I need coloration or not, depending on the music!

. anyway.... I'd still love to listen to acousence and other converter like pad2 or interstellar... let's see!
Well, the usual dance about architecture. "Musical" is a term to try to describe that the intrinsic details in the music seem to be preserved and conveyed better than with other converters. To me, it's about the positive aspects of transparent, like in NPNG or Pueblo Audio microphone preamplifiers. It's not a color in the usual sense. I guess you have to hear it yourself. And let us know what you hear!

I compared the Acousence to the Euphonix AD, and the Euphonix was blurry and harsh in comparison. A mandolin was at the same time much more precise and more relaxed through the Acousence AD. It was a mandolin playing, not something that resembles a mandolin, but like seen through an ugly filter. The mandolin through the Euphonix was less precise yet more piercing. The transients were sharper through the Acousence, but not piercing, and the whole soundstage was calmer and clearer.

I don't find this a music genre thing, though for dirty Rock the Acousence might not be the right thing. Although, someone once wrote about my recordings "even the distorted sounds are clear", so I would say that even "dirty Rock" doesn't need to be presented through a "dirty and blurry window". I like clear pictures of distorted things, musically.

When I mixed a rehearsal space recording, flaws in the recording space were better audible through the Acousence than through the Euphonix. And the Acousence clearly showed what I did with the reverbs on the BV, while the Euphonix blurred that almost completely.

And the Euphonix is far from being a bad converter!

The ULN-8 AD to me sounds a bit plasticky and hyped in the lows and highs. I find it rather unnatural sounding. I like the Forssell better.

Last edited by Rumi; 12th July 2017 at 11:08 PM..
Old 12th July 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
A mandolin was at the same time much more precise and more relaxed. It was a mandolin playing, not something that resembles a mandolin, but like seen through an ugly filter.
okay. now everything sounds more musical to me ;- )

i heard many times the term "musical" for example about schoeps,
which are really colored: they change things in a "more beautiful than life" way.
yes, they can be useful sometimes. but not when you need something really transparent. they dictate their sound.

but i've never heard someone says that the gefell m221 is musical! (isn't it really musical? i love this mic.)
maybe that's why i became a little sensible against this term. because of such uses of it.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
okay. now everything sounds more musical to me ;- )

i heard many times the term "musical" for example about schoeps,
which are really colored: they change things in a "more beautiful than life" way.
yes, they can be useful sometimes. but not when you need something really transparent. they dictate their sound.

but i've never heard someone says that the gefell m221 is musical! (isn't it really musical? i love this mic.)
maybe that's why i became a little sensible against this term. because of such uses of this term: musical.
Well, that at least sounds promising!

I find Schoeps mics rather ugly sounding, and yes, pretty colored. And I like the Gefell MK221 and MK201! And dare I say, yes, I find them musical.

Let's get the demo Acousence to you, and we will find out how you hear it!

BTW, I doubt that there is "absolute transparency". There are "transparent" mics and mic pres that I find ugly, and others that I find wonderful (Josephson, Sanken, NPNG, Pueblo Audio, Pendulum Audio, Gordon, ADT, LaChappell belong to the latter). And each one of them has its unique "color of transparency". But ins't it fun to talk about sound? I have learned a lot about my hearing by listening to other people's description of how they hear things. I wouldn't want to miss that.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Another interesting point in my comparisons is that with the Acousence AD, I as the listener can relax, and let the music talk to me directly. Whereas with others, I am unconsciously busy, filtering artifacts out of the picture, and correcting things that are not completely right, which leads to a kind of restlessness and ungroundedness.

When I first got the Acousence AD for a test, I let it sit somewhere for some days. I had the conviction that converters are not really important, and that all sound more or less the same. I did have a DAD for some years, which I found nice, and I had compared the Forssell to the ULN-8, and of course, I found the ULN-8 quite a bit better than the MIO 2882. And yet, I didn't find the differences of big importance. But when I heard the Acousence for the first time, I was really struck. I hadn't expected that. I kind of made peace with PCM Audio at that moment. For some weeks afterwards, I had trouble listening to the Euphonix (which I overall like better than the ULN-8, go figure). It sounded blurry and harsh, and just not really right.

Last edited by Rumi; 13th July 2017 at 08:09 AM..
Old 14th July 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Hi Babak,
have you seen my e-mail reply I sent you yesterday?
yes. I replied.
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm sure you can use PM's for this, instead of hijacking the thread. Thank you.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
I'm sure you can use PM's for this, instead of hijacking the thread. Thank you.
Sorry for bothering you, won't happen again!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search