The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
QES Labs PAD-2 vs Burl B2 Bomber Stereo ADC shootout vid Digital Converters
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdagod View Post
Nice post...I was looking into getting the B2 or Pure 2 next, but I think this may add another competitor to the list. I use a lot of UAD plugins to add a lot color so not really sure if adding the B2 would benefit more or should I go more transparent? I do mostly hip hop if that even matters.
Im hip hop as well
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nice post...I was looking into getting the B2 or Pure 2 next, but I think this may add another competitor to the list. I use a lot of UAD plugins to add a lot color so not really sure if adding the B2 would benefit more or should I go more transparent? I do mostly hip hop if that even matters.
from experience I can tell you they're way different.I had a pure2 here for a few weeks next to my B2.
like most Antelope gear I've owned kinda shiny and wide sounding but too polite,kicks and snares kinda got wimpier. the Burl although less shiny sounded more solid/centered..had analogness/balls to it.
Ultimately sent back.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Im hip hop as well
Nice! You have any examples I can hear?
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice! You have any examples I can hear?
PAD-2 new stereo ADC with passive front-end by QES Labs

Not the best but cuz i rushed and put something down but no panning and EQ was only applied to the master bus and it was the MPC EQ so its really crappy. Its near the last post.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks for sharing. I will check it out.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeard View Post
Hello everyone.
I'm the guy who recorded and mixed the song and who talked in the video.

First i'd like to thanks everyone for your interest. Is great to read your opinions.

Talking about my personal opinions, as soon as I turned my mix on the PAD with low group settings I was impressed about the transients. They were fast, seems not covered at all and everything became detailed. The voice seems to get a step forward, the instruments were natural and really detailed and the 3D and wide image seems to be beneficed. The total dynamic was kept.

Basically, to me turning in the B2 with -18 setting was like turning a DAW, that is almost completely linear, into a tape recorder. Infact this is what Burl says, and I heard the exact thing even if PAD did not gave any digital feeling. The transient were less detaliled, but smoother. The sound were more colored, giving a really good taste at the mix. The low end were more punchy and the wide image were less than the PAD, but unchanged as the reality.

PAD with classic setting were a mid way between them. Less linear than low group but a bit more punchy. Less colored than B2.

At the end, i think that PAD is for tracks or engineers that wants to keep everything unchanged. Burl always said that his products aren't linear, but tape kind. And i really love it too. It just depends what you need in your mix, so i can't say wich I think is better. I really enjoyed both.

Thanks for your time!

Giuseppe Polito
Starlight Studios, Naples.
Was the QES convertor in the video a stock unit or did it have certain upgrades done to it?
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
Was the QES convertor in the video a stock unit or did it have certain upgrades done to it?
I was curious too so I asked Val. It's a unit featuring the MIL-std. pcb and internal wiring in pure silver/double-helix pattern.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
It was just a standard product. No upgrades.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
I was curious too so I asked Val. It's a unit featuring the MIL-std. pcb and internal wiring in pure silver/double-helix pattern.
Exactly, i think this is the standard unit
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly, i think this is the standard unit
Damn if that is standard i wanna hear Roundbadges unit.
Old 29th December 2016
Quote:
I've been using the Qes Labs PAD-2 for a couple of weeks now, and I'm extremely happy with it's sound.
I planned to post some files, but it was moving day so didn't have the chance. I talked to Val at Qes, and he has just produced a shootout video comparing the PAD-2 to the Burl B2.
He kindly sent me the link (24/96 HD files can be downloaded from the link in description):

The PAD-2 'Low Group Delay' filter setting is my favorite clip:
very transparent, the voice impressed me, it's clean and detailed, with a holographic representation associated to it.
If I close my eyes, the sensation of the singer being in front of me is clear and palpable, the bass and is so natural, top end so airy, and I hear a remarkably wide 3d soundstage, an open stereo image.
The B2 is a tad more colored, wonderful and fat bass, with a reel tape feeling, very musical.
The PAD-2 with the 'Classic' filter setting engaged is more similar to the B2, being more puchy, with that 'analog' feel.

Really enjoyed this shootout!

Cool video/demo,
thanks for sharing!! The QES box sounds fantastic, nice job
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Addict

Low group delay mode sounds really nice! I'm certainly curious to hear a capture from the fully upgraded unit.

Great feature to have two available renderings of the sound with the filters. It seems slightly unfortunate that you need to hold the reset button on the rear of the unit to toggle them though.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Great feature to have two available renderings of the sound with the filters. It seems slightly unfortunate that you need to hold the reset button on the rear of the unit to toggle them though.
Not for the newer units. The reset is automatic.
I think the manual download link has been updated on their site.
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not for the newer units. The reset is automatic.
I think the manual download link has been updated on their site.
That's good news then , thanks.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Cool video/demo,
thanks for sharing!! The QES box sounds fantastic, nice job
Did u compare the AD to Joshs'?
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Compton's n' da houze!!! it's like King Crimson meets Dr. Dre

I think both of these mixes sound awesome
Old 2nd January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
Did u compare the AD to Joshs'?
I was just commenting about the video demo, Had not heard a unit yet side by side with the JCF Converters. I have an AD-8 right now at the studio, sounds super amazing for tracking. its really nice on the mix too with PEP mode.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you for this shootout. I prefer the Burl, especially the kick drum and the bass seems to have more impact and more debth.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Just focusing on the Reverb tails, the QES is way clearer. The Burl seems to put "hair" on the signal. QES is the clear winner for this track, which already has plenty of grit from the instrumentation and vocal overdrive.
Great track, and props on a fine mix. If they would pronounce "sugar" as "shuh-guh" instead of "shoo-gair", it'd pass for philly funk.
What do the QES run, ballpark? Yes I know that I just need to send an email and there are different configs. But I still think a public airing of the price keeps the supplier honest in charging everyone the same.
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
Just focusing on the Reverb tails, the QES is way clearer. The Burl seems to put "hair" on the signal. QES is the clear winner for this track, which already has plenty of grit from the instrumentation and vocal overdrive.
Great track, and props on a fine mix. If they would pronounce "sugar" as "shuh-guh" instead of "shoo-gair", it'd pass for philly funk.
What do the QES run, ballpark? Yes I know that I just need to send an email and there are different configs. But I still think a public airing of the price keeps the supplier honest in charging everyone the same.
I agree.
The burl sounds thicker but less detailed.closed in.
I fight that on every mix.even at low inputs.
Base price currently on special till Jan 31 $1890.0.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I agree.
The burl sounds thicker but less detailed.closed in.
I fight that on every mix.even at low inputs.
Base price currently on special till Jan 31 $1890.0.
Cool thanks man. Not at all a bad price for that level of quality.
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for your words, happy you like the tracks. The guys are Italians, so please be good abou the accent :D
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for your words, happy you like the tracks. The guys are Italians, so please be good abou the accent :D
Not intended as a criticism! I'm a foreign language speaker myself. My point was that you probably want the track to come off as authentic soul/funk, and there's an authentic way to pronounce "sugar" on a soul record.
Listen to how the backup singers on the Stones' Brown Sugar say it.
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Not intended as a criticism! I'm a foreign language speaker myself. My point was that you probably want the track to come off as authentic soul/funk, and there's an authentic way to pronounce "sugar" on a soul record.
Listen to how the backup singers on the Stones' Brown Sugar say it.
Absolutely, i completely get what you mean!
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut

A bit late to the party, however, if I can share my opinion, the Qes in low group mode is ultra-clean and with high resolution sonics, in a ballpark of Weiss or Lavry Gold converters.
As said, the Burl was tight but less air and detail.
I think we talk the best of best, actually total bargain given quality.

Quote:
Current base price is $1890.0 us.
there are upgrades you can add on like cardas silver XLR's, all silver internal wiring,teflon 4 layer pcbs,Oversized toroidal core transformers,beefier faceplate,chassis etc.
full bells and whistles version around $3600.00.
Teflon pcb: a great choice for high speed digital electronics. Rarely seen within this price range, I think another unit equipped with a teflon pcb is the EMM Labs ADC8 (~ $9k !).
I'd definitely love to hear your custom unit.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut

Would be great if we could get original clean file to compre side by side.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiKi View Post
Would be great if we could get original clean file to compre side by side.
How would he give a clean file of a console mix without printing the final through an AD?
I don't believe he was mixing in the box.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely, i completely get what you mean!
BigB, would were you using for D/A?
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

It's in the vid description:

"Stereo Mastering A-D Converter Shootout comparing the new QES Labs PAD-2 and the Burl B2 Bomber ADC.
The reference for both units is -18dBFS at 0VU/+4dBu.
Multi-track Apogee Symphony I/O connected via AES-EBU to each ADC, using their respective WCLK outputs to sync the Symphony,
Neve Custom Series 75 analog console, stereo output feeding each unit."

Quote:
How would he give a clean file of a console mix without printing the final through an AD?
I don't believe he was mixing in the box.

Quote:
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
In this particular occasion i used the 8ch card of the symphony. But i clocked the symphony with the PAD when i used it and with Burl when i used it.

I've tried to check burl with pad clock and the opposite too. I should say i heard more differences between the two converters when they were clocked with burl. When they was, burl seems to be way more darker than pad. When both were clocked with pad the difference between them were less, but still a very good clock.
In the video, when you listen to pad it is itself clock, and when you listen burl it's burl clock.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search