The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OK time to fess up.... HOW MUCH!!
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

OK time to fess up.... HOW MUCH!!

Ok...

So we're all genetically affected with the Gearslutz virus that jules spreads via this addictive website... its my fave!!!! and now its time to fess up how much ppl spend annually..

So pls answer relative to:

Full time, part time, casual or hobby vocation

and spending cycles... like 1/4ly 1/2 yr annual, when u get paid if u ever do! whenever you get a hardon for something that we all blabber on about here..

Is your spending made worse by the digital revolution where technology forces you tp upgrade to remain competitve?

Are we in for some surpirses?

Me... it was pretty fulltime for a few yrs.. now its merely a hobby... as GASP!!!!!! i have gone back to university... this gearslut has abondoned his stripes!... but dont worry i am now pimping and doing stuff with gear... so its still flowing thru the veins!

I have spent an inordinate amount of money in the last few yrs and managed to collect a pile of delectable gear from all the favourite names past and present.. but its all gone now!!! i had a big garage sale recently and im just finnishing it off as i write this.

so lets hear it.....

name currencies too...

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

first the questions :

*** Is your spending made worse by the digital revolution where technology forces you tp upgrade to remain competitve? ***

Although I try to keep up with the latest stuff as much as possible. I do not feel it has to be done all the time to stay competitive. I know plenty of people who "skip" upgrades and stay perfectly competitive. People often think that they will go out of business if they don't buy the latest of the latest technology .... not true ... definately not true.

I do it .... but that's because I'm a gearslut .... to be honest ... if money was all I would do it for ... I would make more skipping an upgrade from time to time.

In general my spendings on gear over the last year have gone down (except for ProTools) because we bought a hangar next to the current studio that is going to house the new and bigger complex. That is what most of the money now is going into right now.
Old 15th October 2002
All 'spare" and not so 'spare' cash!

Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

As you well know Wiggy.
I spend everything I have on gear, I run my visa's to the max for new toys. I have the luxary of working 3 days a week in IT and it pays better then studio rates. There is always something I want, although I have enough to do most things I want.

Trying to be good, did not look at the STC8, actually sold somethings and I did not replace them...
I am actually heading to NZ late this month for a holiday for a couple of weeks, keep thinking it is worth a distressor....funny how you think like that
yuktyy
Old 15th October 2002
Gear Addict

The studio is a full-time job for me (since "89 on my own) and I spend according to:

1) what I just gotta have
2) when digi says I gotta upgrade or get left unsupported (about every 3 years)
3) when the accountant says "Spend"! (usually at our review at the end of the third fiscal quarter.)

The amounts vary year to year, but hey, it's all a write-off. It's easy to spend $10K/year and more during digi upgrade years.

Careful with those visa cards boys... ya still gotta pay it back!
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
As you well know Wiggy.
I spend everything I have on gear, I run my visa's to the max for new toys.
Word. Most serious gear slutz are a little retarded when it comes to budgeting for gear. I squeak through my purchases, except for times like now when I have a water main burst...Time to scale down for a bit. My house looks like hell and my car needs a tune-up, but the gear rocks!
Old 15th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Man, I don't want to even think about how much it is.

Every year, I seem to care less about gear, more about the result...and the spending increases exponentially nonetheless.

As long as what you spend keeps coming back in the form of more work, more business, better clients/projects...then I guess you're fine. Like Tom Cruise in "Risky Business", sometimes you just gotta say what the f*** and go for it.
Old 15th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon

As long as what you spend keeps coming back in the form of more work, more business, better clients/projects...then I guess you're fine. Like Tom Cruise in "Risky Business", sometimes you just gotta say what the f*** and go for it.
Did he really say that?? LMAO

Have you been in France too long? hehehe

Top Gun was "good" too! hahahaha
Old 15th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Top Gun was "good" too! hahahaha
Naw, Risky Business is WAY more relevant to this business. I don't care how long ago it was made, maybe in the same epoque as Spinal Tap.

All the Hollywood films come out here as well. Sometimes you need to get out of the country and travel a bit, opens up your eyes to things.

San Rafael...I worked there as a teenager for Synapse and Broderbund, making computer games. I loved that area.
Old 15th October 2002
"Every year, I seem to care less about gear" - Jon

grggt grggt grggt

You must be fart king joking!

heh heh heh

Less crack with your morning croissants I suggest!
Old 16th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Actually, I am pretty much satisfied at the moment, gear-wise. After so much investment, it should be time to settle, pay off leases and digest for a while! (Famous last words before the next plunge).

Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

Broderbund

Wow.. jon.... u must have made some of my favourite games.. were u inlvolved with 'Captain goodnite and the doomsday machine'??? What about 'Carmen Sandiago'??

Fucking OLD SCHOOL apple 2e games... its almost as cool as those SNES games emulators....

now back to the audio program......

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 16th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Yep, Atari 400/800 stuff too. Those old-school 8-bit daze when you had to get sound, graphics and animation into 16 and 48 kilobytes!

The three games I did all by me little self weren't great classics tho...Quasimodo released by Synapse in San Rafael in the US and the UK (cracked and heavily pirated before it even came out btw), and Meteor Storm and Trivia Quest, both released in the US by Royal Software of Eugene, Oregon.

Long ago days!
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Guru

I spend a fairly large amount of money on gear each year. I recently bought out my old boss so I actually have a loan payment. I also had a major gear mishap this year, which cost me a lot of money. I usually save money for a specific thing and buy it when I can buy it outright. Besides the current loan (which in the grand scheme of things ain't too high) the only other loan for gear I've ever had was when I bought my 2" machine. I paid that off in just over two years. The current loan will take a bit more than that (unless the legal system is kind yuktyy).

My purchases are not from client demand. I'm in a small market that has players who don't know a lot about studio gear. But I'm always trying to achieve better results. As my skills improve I look for higher quality gear.
Old 16th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

I'll use this thread to publicly announce that after 5 years, I pay of my console his month!

Unfortunately, I still have two different loan payments to make for building the studio the console is in...
Old 16th October 2002
I've raised my prices to the point where I'm in a weird middle limbo...so I'm not as busy as I was a year or two ago, but the people I work with are more professional and more appreciative of quality instead of just trying to churn it out. I won't be raising my rate until I get the 2000 sq ft room though which should be a while...
Old 16th October 2002
There is only one

huh? what?

i dunno man. i spend a good bit but if i dont i get nailed with more taxes... better to write it off than pay taxes. i spend as much as i can to bring down my taxes i guess.

ft/pt? dunno. my studio is always in use in one form or another.... strictly bands, PT.... but i do sound design, custom music, and so forth for other non-music industry based jobs.
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear
I've been full time the last 4years or so after about 15 years of part time. My studio is in my house which is very handy but really impacts your sleep/personal life
I try to keep spending to 10k or so but 10k doesn't buy much of the good stuff
I've only been digital for 6 years or so and I like it, very convenient, just got to try a little harder. My upgrades are mostly based on just getting more colors, is a 57 any worse than a sony 800? Just a different color.
Daniel
Old 17th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I'd use a 57 more often than a C800G if both were lying around.

As long as its an older 57, not a new one.
Old 18th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon

Naw, Risky Business is WAY more relevant to this business. I don't care how long ago it was made, maybe in the same epoque as Spinal Tap.
Sheesh! You're not so hot at recognizing sacrcasm and mockery, now are ya?

fuuck
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear