The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transformerless C414 B-ULS that's not a TlII
Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear
Transformerless C414 B-ULS that's not a TlII

Anyone know about this? I can't find anything about this version anywhere.
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

does it have a jim williams sticker on it?
Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear
Nope, looks just like a normal ULS. I had wondered if it was a mod though.

Would the sticker be on the inside?
Old 15th December 2016
Do you have the AKG 414 TL model? That's the B-ULS version with the transformer removed like in the TL2. The TL has the flat capsule and is a great sounding mic.
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

I thought the only B-ULS without transformers were the gelded ones (Jim Williams mod)
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Yes I used to own two of them. They came out before the tlII, maybe about 3 or 4 years. The TLII added the " supposed" original capsule but we all that was not true.

I did a lot of string quartet and choir recording with them. Liked them much better than the stock 414B ULS at the time.

I'd buy them again in a heart beat. Always hated the gaudy gold plating on the II's.

Enjoy!
Old 16th December 2016
Here for the gear
Aha yes, it's the TL version. Thanks for your help!

Any one got any 'official' information on it? It's not on the AKG website or anything is all
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

@ JimW illiams

Are you offering your mod of the TLII anymore?
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

I still have the original sales brochure in my file cabinet for them. When I get a chance I'll scan them and post them to this thread.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

They are almost nowhere to be found on ebay.

I suppose you could just remove the transformer from a B ULS, but something tells me it may not be that simple.
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I still have the original sales brochure in my file cabinet for them. When I get a chance I'll scan them and post them to this thread.
If you can that'd be great, thanks!
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

I looked it up yesterday. It's basically an ad for the (then) new B ULS mic. It just has a short paragraph about the TL version "for the most pristine audio recording". I'll scan it later today and see if the back as an of the tech specs for the transformerless version. Didn't see any at a quick glance but worth a second look.

Enjoy the mic.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, that was definitely right around when everyone was arguing "transformers=BAD!".

(Notwithstanding whether the TL is sweet or not.)
Old 24th November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I looked it up yesterday. It's basically an ad for the (then) new B ULS mic. It just has a short paragraph about the TL version "for the most pristine audio recording". I'll scan it later today and see if the back as an of the tech specs for the transformerless version. Didn't see any at a quick glance but worth a second look.

Enjoy the mic.
Resurrecting this thread again! Did you ever manage to get a scan??
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search