The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API connection
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

API connection

Hi Slutz,

Does anyone want to enlighten us on the API/Van Halen connection? As in which albums, what board, etc. I heard the early albums were cut on an API desk. Would that be the 312 mic pre's?
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Nut

The first albums was recorded at Sunset Sound, and they had an API, as well as a Universal Audio console. Eddies guitars was tracked with the UA tube console.
The 212 and 512 made now is just as good as the old ones, the Brent Averill 312 is supposed to be very good too.

Eddie has an API console in his 5150 studio. Records his guitars with an 8-track 2"!!!!!!!!

Amund
Old 17th October 2002
member no 666

While 5150 does indeed own a set of 2" 8-track heads [I'm not sure what they're using them for... could be for doing back catalog in surround for all I know], I do know they punted the API a few years ago and replaced it with an SSL 9000j
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

Umm..there's some pictures of Van Halen (at the API) at Sunset Sound at:

http://www.sunsetsound.com/tour3.html

now how much of an anorak am I ? Oh, it gets worse...

Adam:

Van Halen recorded in Studios 1 & 2, both of which had custom-built consoles with API architecture at that time. The Doors albums were cut on a small customized UREI console in Studio 1, to the best of my knowledge. That UREI was later replaced by the aforementioned API desk.

Thanks for the compliments regarding the website! Hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Craig Hubler
General Manager
Old 23rd March 2005
Here for the gear

Original API board used by Van Halen

FYI: The original API board Van Halen recorded with was last seen at Skip Saylor Sound in LA in the early 90s. It was in Studio B. The band Bangalore Choir was recording there.
Old 24th March 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_w
Umm..there's some pictures of Van Halen (at the API) at Sunset Sound at:

http://www.sunsetsound.com/tour3.html
Dead link.
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
Dead link.
check the date of the post...
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do know they punted the API a few years ago and replaced it with an SSL 9000j
I seem to recall reading not long ago an interview with Eddie where he basically said he regrets buying the SSL.

-Duardo
Old 24th March 2005
Gear Addict

VHIII was a bloody awful sounding record. What was that done on?

Having said that, I liked the sound of Slash's Snakepit "Ain't life grand". Not so much the songs but it certainly rocks.
Old 24th March 2005
member no 666

Sunset's APIs were heavily modified by "DiMedio" (sp?) and were considered some of the best sounding desks to ever grace the planet... in other words, I don't think you can really judge them again stock API's... or maybe you can.
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

in my mis-spent youth...i managed a band..PigNewton and the Wizards from Kansas...we wert to Mercury Sound Studios West to record with George Horn on such a Demideo/API console...reputed to having the best sound on the west coast. Mike Harris
Old 25th March 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS
in my mis-spent youth...i managed a band..PigNewton and the Wizards from Kansas...we wert to Mercury Sound Studios West to record with George Horn on such a Demideo/API console...reputed to having the best sound on the west coast. Mike Harris
AND...
Old 25th March 2005
Gear Nut

Are the DeMedio's the sort of cream/white colored ones?
Old 25th March 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexi
Eddies guitars was tracked with the UA tube console.
do you know this for a fact first hand or are you repeating something you heard somewhere? I wasnt there, I have always heard that the van halen stuff was cut on a solid state UA console (the blue one). If thats not ture I would certainly like to know. The sound of the first few van halen records absolutely sounds like UA 1108 amplifiers to me, I would be pretty suprised if a tube console was used at all.

dave
Old 25th March 2005
Lives for gear

From the UA site:

"The UA 610 was particularly well noted for its preamplifier, and has left its mark on countless classic recordings from Sinatra to Pet Sounds to Van Halen to LA Woman."
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear