The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinion on Telefunken USA U47
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks Doug, my TM47 is fitted with a Telefunken EF14 tube which has a little extra hair on it than the stock tube, and is possibly why our listening tests showed this over the TFunk 47.

A lot of the other clones(Wunder/ Heiserman/ older Fleas/) use NOS tubes as standard, that's why I got Dave to fit one in mine. Have you ever tried experimented with swapping out the stock tubes in the TM47 or are you happy with the way it is?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Good question! Both are great. Both have that familiar 47 sound in spades - but they do have a slightly different tone.

I think I would agree the Pearlman has a little more bottom end but I would say the Tele USA has more bite. A little more texture but the Pearlman is smoother. Both are relatively dark mics but I think the Pearlman is a twee bit darker.

Both are great - just different. Difference is subtle and I used them with different chains so maybe the difference is in the chains. Mainly used the Pearlman with REDD47 pre and RS124. The Tele was Neve into CL1b.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162 View Post
Thanks Doug, my TM47 is fitted with a Telefunken EF14 tube which has a little extra hair on it than the stock tube, and is possibly why our listening tests showed this over the TFunk 47.

A lot of the other clones(Wunder/ Heiserman/ older Fleas/) use NOS tubes as standard, that's why I got Dave to fit one in mine. Have you ever tried experimented with swapping out the stock tubes in the TM47 or are you happy with the way it is?

Cheers
Never tried a different tube. Might be fun but I'm not a tube expert - would the Telefunken EF14 be a snap-in replacement or would it require soldering in a new socket?
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

I think an EF12 would be more of a snap in replacement. 2 small adjustments are required for an EF14 to be used. Dave himself did this for me and would probably be the best person to ask on the modifications. However, I still choose to go with the EF14 over the EF12 when going the NOS route, just for my tastes.

Quote:
Never tried a different tube. Might be fun but I'm not a tube expert - would the Telefunken EF14 be a snap-in replacement or would it require soldering in a new socket?
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Good question! Both are great. Both have that familiar 47 sound in spades - but they do have a slightly different tone.

I think I would agree the Pearlman has a little more bottom end but I would say the Tele USA has more bite. A little more texture but the Pearlman is smoother. Both are relatively dark mics but I think the Pearlman is a twee bit darker.

Both are great - just different. Difference is subtle and I used them with different chains so maybe the difference is in the chains. Mainly used the Pearlman with REDD47 pre and RS124. The Tele was Neve into CL1b.
Curious, which one would you pick everytime if you had the chance? I'm interested especially since the tm47 is way less expensive. I already have a Redd and cl1b and a Neve style pre.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Curious, which one would you pick everytime if you had the chance? I'm interested especially since the tm47 is way less expensive. I already have a Redd and cl1b and a Neve style pre.
Irrespective of cost I would pick the Pearlman. *BUT* - that's because the female vocalist I record most often sounds best in a darker mic and I think the Pearlman is a bit darker then the Tele US 47.

The Tele US may even be closer to a real Neumann- I don't know. Once in a side-by-side shoot out (for her voice), Pearlman vs Vintage U48 we picked the Pearlman. The mic just fits her voice well.

But your voice of course its going to be different.

We actually don't use the Pearlman that much anymore. Our main go to mics are the Manley Silver and the Chandler REDD.
📝 Reply