The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U67 U47 M49 MICROPHONE & NEW HIGH QUALITY PSU: PSU improving the mic sound
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Addict

Neumann U67 U47 M49 MICROPHONE & NEW HIGH QUALITY PSU: PSU improving the mic sound

Hi People

How much difference can a well made high quality mic power supply make to the Sonics or sound quality improvement of a mic?

(Will a NEW high quality made PSU for a tube mic improve the mic sound?)

Cheers
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
Hi People

How much difference can a well made high quality mic power supply make to the Sonics or sound quality improvement of a mic?

(Will a NEW high quality made PSU for a tube mic improve the mic sound?)

Cheers
Hi

When I read posts like this it beggers two questions...

1. Would one not take for granted that the designers of the microphone designed a high quality power supply for the device?

2. The word "improve" should really be altered to "change" as "improve" is very much a matter of tastes.

Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

I've heard from many different techs that U47's have weird PSU's in the sense that it let's variations in mains voltage all the way through to the mic !

I think a U47 wants to see 105V and with the fluctuant PSU it can get voltages that are quite far from 105V.

This is all just from memory so I'll be happy to stand corrected if this is wrong.

Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I've heard from many different techs that U47's have weird PSU's in the sense that it let's variations in mains voltage all the way through to the mic !

I think a U47 wants to see 105V and with the fluctuant PSU it can get voltages that are quite far from 105V.

This is all just from memory so I'll be happy to stand corrected if this is wrong.

Hi

From memory, it's a chain of RC filters.... what would one expect to find in any piece of vintage tube equipment from mics to loudspeaker/guitar amps?

In all of them, the dc will be proportional to the ac input... this is hardly news.

I suppose one could cobble together a circuit with a 783 high voltage regulator (or 317 suitably configured... it's just the 783 is quieter) and see what difference it makes.

I'd be loathe to do it, personally, for fear that it would change the sound!

Old 5th March 2007
Gear Addict

How much difference can a well made high quality mic power supply make to improving the mic sound?
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
How much difference can a well made high quality mic power supply make to improving the mic sound?
Hi

Define "improve" versus "alter or change"

Why is the current supply not "high quality"?

It follows that the power supply is an ingredient of the circuitry of the tube amplifier inside the microphone. Changing it will most likely change the sound but, until somebody does it and makes subjective comparisons, how can one answer your question re "improvement"?

Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Here's a discussion on Klaus Heyne's board that discusses this point:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/10975/0/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search