The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DDA DMR12 good deal?
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

DDA DMR12 good deal?

Hi,

I am interested in this DDA DMR12 found HERE what does everyone think? I have read some good things about DDA on this forum. Any comments on how this would compare in quality to a Soundcraft Ghost (the current console in the studio) and also what sort of 'Character' this board gives. Also what do people think of this price (it seems very cheap to me?)
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

A friend has a DDA Profile (looks somewhat similar in size, layout, feature set as this console). It's a very nice sounding desk, I'd have to say fairly transparent in color (sorry, I can't compare with Soundcraft), with tons of routing, and very low noise. If there are no major issues I'd say that looks to be a very good price, even though I do not know how the market currently values these babies.

And with patchbays, looms, and automation ... I'd definitely consider it.
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

sounds good, does anyone know how it compares to the profile then? The desk is supposed to be in excellent condition and has just been fully serviced. I don't think I am going to be able to try it before I buy! as it is just to far away from me (a 12 hour round trip is a long way in England!) but at the price of just a couple of decent channel strips?! I am thinking that it would be good to go down the desk route rather than loads of outboard flavours to get that coherence in sound, tracking mainly full bands in a large Live room it would have to be pretty verstaile so a clean board sounds good to me.

But at around £4000 incl VAT is it too good to be true? what can I expect in quality terms?

+ what is the optifile automation like, any experience? we will be going in and out of a DAW so it isn't that big a deal but if it works that is a bonus
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

That DMR at Larkings is a step up from the ghost, but I would make the trip if it were me to check it out! The pres are transparent in charictor, but your still going to prefer out board!
as for inf Google dda consoles and you find the PDF about the console and optifile for the automation, Optifile not a bad sounding VCA system but make sure everything is included !!!!!!!!!! and functioning!
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'm interested in getting a DDA console, seems to be one of the best for the money and they can be had for a steal over here in the UK.

I've been trying to find out a timeline on DDA consoles, also which consoles were the higher end and which were the lower end of their range, price when new etc

Anyone got any good info? Point me to the right places? There seems to be very little info on the net.
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Head

Im the proud owner of a DDA QMR, slightly smaller than the one pictured but sitll really nice. Ive just had a full service and couldnt be more happy with it.

For that price Id say go for it.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

I own a Profile and work on a DMR fairly often too.
I like DDA desks.

The Profile is a higher spec console than the DMR- more busses more auxes (I think) more comprehensive EQ... more chanels(?)
The DMR and Profile I feel have a similar sonic footprint with the DMR just being a stripped back version in terms of features (I don't think this is actually how things came about, just how I think of it!)
They are what I would call 'Musical' consoles. I moved to my Profile when I stopped using an AMS Neve VR- I have not once wished I was on the VR when mixing on the DDA.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah... the price is about right. they are unfasionable at the moment and so going cheap. This won't last forever... buy it!
A Profile should be about £6-8k and a DMR £3-6k at the moment- when people start remembering about these consoles I'm sure they'll tripple in price- and still feel like a bargain!
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

PhilE, Thanks for the info sounds good. It is not often you can buy equipment and maybe not lose money when you come to sell. You say the same 'musical stamp' what would you describe that as and/or compare it too (as in more well know brands. )

We've just got a soundscape system (with nuendo front end) and are wanting to mix OTB with all the I/O available, the studio will be mainly be doing rock/punk work (the local scene) but I would like to try and get more acoustic/folk and indie acts in, how does the board work with these sorts of genres. Any one have examples of work tracked/mixed on a DDA?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Its really hard to compare- it doesn't sound like any other desk I know... but I really only know vintage and modern Neve, a couple of SSL, Audient, Raindirk, Trident and various DDAs. Neve or DDA are my cosole of choice...

DDA are up there with anyone I mentioned above in terms of being a pro desk (they kick Mackie and modern Soundcraft's [email protected]).

I guess the Audient is the closest thing to the DMR or Profile sonically but really I don't rate it half as much as the Profile for function and to be honest the DMR has a bit over it too- certainly in build quality. The ASP EQ is not as nice to use as the DDA imho.

**Be aware that what I say about price is only based on my opinion and observation... I am not a dealer and do not have access to these trends!**
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Where is the studio based?

The DDA can turn its hand to anything although I did do some cheap sample based hip hop an it a few weeks back and it maybe didn't suit it- but that could easily be because its not my thing to work on either!
I love it for Acoustic stuff and rock it eats up no problem.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Hey don't worry about the price prediction I won't hold you to it! I was thinking along the same lines anyway because in good condition it is amazing value for money and surely couldn't come down in price?!

The studio is down in Falmouth Cornwall, so miles away from anywhere! (I don't think it would get much hip-hop) It isn't my studio but it would be my desk, I don't have the space to make the most of my equipment so I am putting it in this studio and I will get to record my stuff there.

PhileE, if you could PM with some examples of work done on your DDA that would be great.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'll drop you a PM later on.

Just a little word of warning about putting your gear somwhere that isnt yours in return for time- I did something similar once and somehow the place was always busy with another priject- after 6 months I pulled all my gear out again having hardly worked on it since I moved in... cost me a lot of money.
Anyway... if you know and trust the other people only you can make that decision.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

hey warmer,

I talked with a friend who owns a DDA Profile. His words were: 'DDA got it right, clean - you provide the paint'.

As for sonic examples, there's a Boston area artist named Digney Fignus. His last release ("Trouble On the Levee", 2006) was tracked & mixed almost entrely thru my bud's Profile. Tracks 10-12 are the exception - they went through a CAD MaxCon II.

If you're interested you can check out the disc via his website:
http://www.digney.com

There are song samples but they're streaming audio, so not much good for what you're looking for. If you're in a hurry and want a quick taste, make sure you check Tk#3 out - Griftin' River Blues. This disc is a great 'cajun' flavored song cycle. Very good songwriting, muscianship and production ... in addition to a good example of the DDA's audio quality.

I might be able to get more technical info at a later date if you're still lookin'.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'd narrowed my choices down to a DDA 40 frame D Series or a D&R Orion. They would be about the maximum size I can fit in comfortably here. Interestingly enough I phoned Funky Junk and said that I was on the look out for a D Series or an Orion and they said they wouldn't have an Orion in for sure because they wont touch them with a barge pole. They said that the Orion is too difficult to work on if things go wrong. Looks like a D Series for me when I can find one at the right price.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

KingDaddyO, thanks for the info it is looking like the right choice, I will prob decide for sure next week, going to talk it over with the studio owner.

TornadoTed, I see at the min you have a whole load of mackie controls are you going to completely ditch these and mix through the console or try and intergrate the setup some how? I ask because this is what we are thinking about, we want to be able to have some control on Nuendo but with a large mixer and control surface things get a bit messy and complicated. + that is a nice Live room you've got, looks a nice place.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Cheers Warmer, It's been tweaked a fair bit since I built it and sounds really nice now. I'll probably ditch the extenders and just keep the main MCU and mix through the console.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Is that an actual shot of the console for sale...if so...looks very clean

Make sure it is complete...a missing PSU can cost half that to replace in some instances
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

PSU is a weak link on all DDA consoles, so you might just investigate how much new PSU would cost and put that in equation straightaway.
Apart from that i love them DDA's
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

I've had my PSU looked at already and the fans uprated but am also looking into the idea of having a switchmode made... I'll pass on the results of those enquiries to anyone interested in a few weeks!!
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

I've worked on a DDA DMR12 quite a lot. It was the first "large" console I ever got to work on, and I ocassionally go back to that studio.

A large console with only 12 busses can feel limiting, but there are plenty of work-arounds.

It sounds good. If you own a commercial studio, it won't help attract new freelancers and clients, but it's definitely cost effective.

Other affordable consoles from Trident, Neotek and MCI have much more 'wow' factor to prospective gear-interested clients.

The DDA can hold it's own in terms of sound though. Not ideal, but the EQ is pretty flexible and musical, and the pres sound good too.

I always see them for $3k-5k, on ebay. A steal.

Last edited by FossilTooth; 7th March 2007 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: clarity, style
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Cheers for the help, I'm going to check out the PSU and how much for a replacement. One final question (I will make up my mind next week) in the next month (or two) I could stretch my budget a bit to say the MCI found HERE (the DDA on that page looks amazing but is more channels than I would ever see myself needing) do you think that it would be worth the extra outlay? what are the MCI's like for reliability I couldn't find much info on this model on google.
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know if the MCI is a better bet but make sure it's still available.
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

I have a 56 Channel 32 Buss DDA DMR12 that is for sale. Great shape. Good deal. If you are interested, PM me.
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Hi, Sorry to drag this out! but... I have decided no MCI (to much work needed on that one) but doing a search I found out that THE soundtracs guy and his warehouse/shop are now in Cornwall about 1hours drive from us. So I would really like to buy from here because I could wait for the right one to come up check it out and prob get it installed. Any opinions on the Soundtracs and which ones were good, the control room can take any of large consoles, so which one should I look out for?
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Oh God, no!!!!
Soundtracs is terrible.
They sound like crap, no matter which model.
I've worked on Quartz, Jade and the small one, i cant remember the name.
Sound is small, boring, no low, no middle, no high, thin, boxy, noisy, just pure misery.
Please do all of us a favour and get that nice DDA desk so we can relax and forget about you even mentioning Soundtracks console.
I'm just saying
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Head
Dda dmr12

Hi I know this is an old thread but could use some guidance. I recently just purchased a DDA DMR12 console in great condition for super cheap, don't believe seller new what he had. Anyway I'm picking it up in a few days and grabbed all tt patch cables and all EDAC cables he said that's all the cables, however looking at the manual it shows. 16 slots for EDAC I only received 6?? This console has 24 mic ins 12bus with 4 other channels to the left of bus. Are those extra slots for 56 in console and not to worry or do I need to purchace more EDAC cables. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Head
Dda dmr12

Hi I know this is an old thread but could use some guidance. I recently just purchased a DDA DMR12 console in great condition for super cheap, don't believe seller new what he had. Anyway I'm picking it up in a few days and grabbed all tt patch cables and all EDAC cables he said that's all the cables, however looking at the manual it shows. 16 slots for EDAC I only received 6?? This console has 24 mic ins 12bus with 4 other channels to the left of bus. Are those extra slots for 56 in console and not to worry or do I need to purchace more EDAC cables. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search