The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using DBox with BF Apollo? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th November 2016
Anyone using DBox with BF Apollo?

I just picked up a DBox to try the D>A and Summing, to see if it would be an upgrade over my BF Apollo D>A.

I've searched high and low for threads on DBox with BF Apollo, but I can't find many. Those I do find, mostly say that the DBox was a huge step up from the SF Apollo. But since the BF Apollo has upgraded conversion, I'm wondering how close the D>A is to the DBox?

I'll find out in a week or two, but I'm curious to know if there are people out there who still find a huge sonic improvement using the DBox conversion and/or summing along with a BF Apollo 8p.

Last edited by drcaron; 27th November 2016 at 11:34 PM..
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

I had a Dangerous source (same converters as dbox) to go with my BF Apollo 8 quad then sold it, the Apollo converters sounded better and more true to the source to me.
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcaron View Post
I just picked up a DBox to try the D>A and Summing, to see if it would be an upgrade over my BF Apollo D>A.

I've searched high and low for threads on DBox with BF Apollo, but I can't find many. Those I do find, mostly say that the DBox was a huge step up from the SF Apollo. But since the BF Apollo has upgraded conversion, I'm wondering how close the D>A is to the DBox?

I'll find out in a week or two, but I'm curious to know if there are people out there who still find a huge sonic improvement using the DBox conversion and/or summing along with a BF Apollo 8p.
I use a BF Apollo with a D Box. I think I prefer the D Box DA but when you hook up the Apollo monitor outs to the D Box's "Analog" in (enabling you to switch back and forth between the DA's with the flick of a switch) the D Box DA is a little louder so it's hard to do an accurate comparison. So I use the D Box's DA but I'm not totally positive that it's any better than the BF Apollo.

I do like the D Box's summing for sure though.
Old 28th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I use a BF Apollo with a D Box. I think I prefer the D Box DA but when you hook up the Apollo monitor outs to the D Box's "Analog" in (enabling you to switch back and forth between the DA's with the flick of a switch) the D Box DA is a little louder so it's hard to do an accurate comparison. So I use the D Box's DA but I'm not totally positive that it's any better than the BF Apollo.

I do like the D Box's summing for sure though.
Hey Ragan, been reading many of your comments over on RG. Do you find the dbox summing makes the stereo image wider and deeper? I'm trying to get that wide deep thing going as far as I can take it with a few outboard pieces.

I found the Silver Bullet and api 2500 hardware add to that analog sound on my 2bus, but I'm trying to see what else is out there before I spend 4k on a neve master buss processor. ha.
Old 28th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I had a Dangerous source (same converters as dbox) to go with my BF Apollo 8 quad then sold it, the Apollo converters sounded better and more true to the source to me.
Hi Luxx, thanks for chiming in. Appreciate it.
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcaron View Post
Hey Ragan, been reading many of your comments over on RG. Do you find the dbox summing makes the stereo image wider and deeper?
I do. It is subtle, but it is there. I've blind tested myself many times.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search