The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler REDD microphone
Old 22nd November 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for this overwhelming reply. Greatly appreciated!
The upgrade from a SM7B to the REDD Mic might seem silly at first, but I do really want the ONE mic that suits my voice the best and takes it to the next level.

So I've thought of mics like AA CM800T and Manley Ref C (with a Tele tube) as contenders. The CM800T is killer for its price and the Manley Ref C also got the modern/open sounding character that I'm after. Although I do seem to prefer spending a little more on the REDD Mic, instead of going for a Manley Ref C + a well suited BAE 1073 preamp combo for instance. And I don't know how well the AA CM800T will do over time.

Living in Norway, it's not that easy to get hold on a good rental deal, so I might have to just pull the trigger and go for a good used deal and then eventually sell it if I'm not happy with the purchase. Though I can't see that I won't be happy with the REDD Mic.

But yeah I do like myself some intimate/"right in your ear"/ASMR vocals now and then, so I would like to be fairly close to the mic and get some decent proximity effect. For a home setup I would say my room is fairly good treated, not ideal like the best A class studio booths, but I do have some gobos and the Aston Halo that will hopefully do a good job.

Speaking of compressor I do find the Crane Song Falcon to be tempting, because of it's features and it's dry/wet knob for parallel comp. I do already have a splitter, so it might be a good tip, just in case of over-compressing.
And I do only track and record my own vocals atm, so the two inputs from the Apollo is more than enough
FWIW I have both the Ref C & Redd and although I love the Redd I think for a less ideal room I'd recommend the Ref C (obv subject to personal taste).

It really is an idiot proof mic for pop vocals whereas the Redd is a little more fussy (again IMO).

(I put a Mullard in mine FYI & it sounds great, straight into an apollo)
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
FWIW I have both the Ref C & Redd and although I love the Redd I think for a less ideal room I'd recommend the Ref C (obv subject to personal taste).

It really is an idiot proof mic for pop vocals whereas the Redd is a little more fussy (again IMO).

(I put a Mullard in mine FYI & it sounds great, straight into an apollo)
Initially I was going for the Ref C two weeks ago, but after the seller began to ignore my messages, I began doing this deep dive research of the "perfect" mic for my voice. And then the REDD has become the number one choice.

I haven't taken my room into consideration as much as I probably should do, because I don't have an issue with it, though it's not completely dead as a vocal booth. But singing right into the Aston Halo (new) feels kind of dead to be fair, and I'll try it with a U67 custom mod in a handheld Neumann KMS 105 body in the next few days, to see if my room would be an issue or not. Though I do know they are totally different mics

Over here in Norway it's not that easy getting a hold on the REDD mic, since there is only one new on the market for sale ($6948, #too expensive) and no used listed, and I can't join the US used market because the transformer won't suit my region...

So the Ref C is more accessible, cheaper and I do see myself getting a good end result with it by switching out the stock tube. And being a huge James Blake fan, it's not a con that he seems to have been using the Ref C on his recent EP "Before".

So the Ref C + an upgraded vocal chain (over my UAD: 1073 > CL1b mk2) could be a shout. Though I do see the Ref C as a really good knife and the REDD as a machete.
Old 23rd November 2020
Lives for gear

Have you considered the Manley Gold? Or the Silver if you prefer smmmooooth. Or the new Tonelux JC37 for a lot less money.

And not to forget when figuring the cost that REDD has a built in premium tube mic pre.
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy View Post
Anyone who has any recommendations of a compressor (preferably a 500 series) to pair with the Chandler Redd Mic for vocal tracking?
RS124 works great with REDD Mic.
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Have you considered the Manley Gold? Or the Silver if you prefer smmmooooth. Or the new Tonelux JC37 for a lot less money.

And not to forget when figuring the cost that REDD has a built in premium tube mic pre.
To me the Manley Gold, is for sure a great mic, but I can’t see it being a viable option, because of it’s price point, which rivials the REDD mic and the Ref C is imo more bucks for money, since I’m only recording vocals.

I bet the Silver and the Tonelux JC37 are smooth as hell, but since I’m going for that modern, in-your-face, big sounding vocal (without it being too sibilant and harsh), they are not on my shortlist I’m afraid.

Yes, I’m totally in the understanding of the REDD mic having a premium tube mic pre, and that’s probably the reason why I see it as the race leader atm.
Old 24th November 2020
The REDD is a formidable choice for both vocals and instruments.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
I invested in one and it's a keeper. I always get a kick out of clients reactions when they hear their voice for the first time in the cans through it.
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Anyone using the REDD mic on acoustic guitar? How do you like it compared to other options you’ve used?
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Anyone using the REDD mic on acoustic guitar? How do you like it compared to other options you’ve used?
Listen to Green Day’s acoustic duet of ‘Ordinary World’ with Miranda Lambert, that’s one REDD Mic on acoutsitc guitar and also tracked both vocals. Also listen Sean Levitt’s ‘Someday Soon’ acoustic guitar, vocals piano and bass all tracked with a REDD Mic.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

It makes my old J-200 sound more gooder...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

its been a few years since i demo'd this beautiful mic - but I can still hear its fantastic signature sound perfectly in my head.

for anyone lusting after a U47/M49 vibe, this isn't for you! its not a 'vintage maker' or a tool to soothe vocalists with a harsh edge to a voice. Its signature sound is a unique combo of detail and texture. the detail is incredible, it can pick up more from a few feet away than some mics can from a few inches away. But its not sterile, its still got texture and character too - not super retro sounding, but something.

If you have a **** room this mic will notice!

Easily one of the best looking mics I've ever seen too.

Its begging for some vintage Mullards. Anyone tried any?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
its been a few years since i demo'd this beautiful mic - but I can still hear its fantastic signature sound perfectly in my head.

for anyone lusting after a U47/M49 vibe, this isn't for you! its not a 'vintage maker' or a tool to soothe vocalists with a harsh edge to a voice. Its signature sound is a unique combo of detail and texture. the detail is incredible, it can pick up more from a few feet away than some mics can from a few inches away. But its not sterile, its still got texture and character too - not super retro sounding, but something.

If you have a **** room this mic will notice!

Easily one of the best looking mics I've ever seen too.

Its begging for some vintage Mullards. Anyone tried any?
This is the best summation/description of this mic. Those chasing a vintage sound or needing something to tame sibilance will be disappointed. Those chasing a modern sound will smile big!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I HAVE sibilance issues, and was astounded to hear my voice, through headphones at their NAMM Booth... Sound sibilant free-with that degree of clarity.
Chris
Lives for gear

def not a sibilant mic.
Here for the gear
I've had the mic for about two weeks now and I truly love it. I can't point out any negatives other than what @ MRSEED referred to; it picks up my not ideal room. So I do need to use some gobos + Aston Halo with it, to make the signal as clean as possible. But to my ears I couldn't have dreamt of a better sounding mic. It's pure quality and I'm really happy with it so far
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've had the mic for about two weeks now and I truly love it. I can't point out any negatives other than what @ MRSEED referred to; it picks up my not ideal room. So I do need to use some gobos + Aston Halo with it, to make the signal as clean as possible. But to my ears I couldn't have dreamt of a better sounding mic. It's pure quality and I'm really happy with it so far
tbh they are not even negatives, they are just signs its extremely high quality and a pro tool for pro environments.

I only had a the demo unit for a week, but I spent every evening doing as many tests with it as I could. Loved it. I rem shooting it out against a few other mics and you could hear the saliva in your mouth with the Redd before you opened it, the other mic I couldn't hear that. AND the Redd was positioned further away than the other mic!

Whole thing screams high quality - I had a peep inside the mic and the power supply, top quality inside and out.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
tbh they are not even negatives, they are just signs its extremely high quality and a pro tool for pro environments.

I only had a the demo unit for a week, but I spent every evening doing as many tests with it as I could. Loved it. I rem shooting it out against a few other mics and you could hear the saliva in your mouth with the Redd before you opened it, the other mic I couldn't hear that. AND the Redd was positioned further away than the other mic!

Whole thing screams high quality - I had a peep inside the mic and the power supply, top quality inside and out.
Yes, I totally agree with you. It capturing everything is why it’s top quality. So yeah, I didn’t mean it as a negative to the mic. Just wanted to share your opinion. So I just have to get my room sorted before recording. And from there on, it’s heaven.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I totally agree with you. It capturing everything is why it’s top quality. So yeah, I didn’t mean it as a negative to the mic. Just wanted to share your opinion. So I just have to get my room sorted before recording. And from there on, it’s heaven.
hope you get good use out of it - def a future classic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Indie Artists on REDD Microphones

Here are a few independent artists on REDD Microphones.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Everything I've heard so far from this mic is bright. Very bright. That's fine if you want that, but I'm usually not looking for that. Makes me wonder how assertively these mixes were EQed. I want to hear something raw from which to judge what the mic does rather than the mix engineer.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Singer Songwriter style song about being alone in COVID quarantine - vocals recorded with the Chandler REDD:

An earlier example.
Chris
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
An earlier example.
Chris
Same sound, same issue. Is that 10k steely edge on the vocal the mic or the mixing? Does everyone who uses this mic push that in the EQ?
Quote:
Everything I've heard so far from this mic is bright. Very bright. That's fine if you want that, but I'm usually not looking for that. Makes me wonder how assertively these mixes were EQed. I want to hear something raw from which to judge what the mic does rather than the mix engineer.
I think you are being kind in calling some of the posted clips "very bright".

The words that come to mind at times are edgy, piercing and i hate to say it bordering on fatiguing. And its not just these clips, but others that have been posted throughout since the mic has been introduced. Maybe its the challenge of taming the room sound that the mic tends to pick up or maybe its the proximity effect when people get up real close on it. I think also that people haven't figured out the proper chain and keep using transformer based mic pres to smooth out the pointy nature of this mic.

But i guess everybody has their preferences.

Also why not rap, Urban, or R&B clips? I would think this mic would work in this genre as price wise and sound fits right in the middle of the Sony C800G and the Manley Reference Cardiod.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

ok. gloves off... bleeds like a rusty razor. Sorry, I know a lot o people go for that but it's a hot button for me.
Quote:
ok. gloves off... bleeds like a rusty razor.
Maybe its just the sonic style that is popular right now. The kind of style that cuts through airpods and cell phone speakers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

REDD n Rock

Here’s some good ole fashion rock and roll with our REDD47 on all the vocals. Pretty sure it was a Coil Audio pre that day.

https://youtu.be/KybfAtuR3-I

Last edited by officialXYZ; 3 weeks ago at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Wrong url
Old 3 weeks ago
I like bright mics and mellow mics. I think there's a time and place for all of them....
Lives for gear

Quote:
After hearing comparison files from a respected member of this forum its similar to a C800g, but with more 'texture'. Its def a bright mic as far as I'm concerned. But sometimes you NEED a bright detailed mic (C800g is industry standard), and that what its intended for - its NOT a U47, people need to understand that. Chandler prob wanted a mic that could be used for contemporary music, its a mic that suits music made in 2020 and onwards. At the time i wanted something more retro sounding too, so I bought something else. First world problems!

Also, when I was testing it I wouldn't sing anywhere as near to the mic as those artists are. I was singing at medium volume, not shouting! for loud I'd have it several feet away. but that doesn't look good on camera (not intimate looking enough), i suspect thats why they are so close to it. When I see people in pics that close to it I'm

Fantastic mic and preamp combo, world class! but I think it has to be handled carefully (my opinion), when overdriven through incorrect use it doesn't break up in a nice way. That was my experience, others might disagree. doesn't stop me dreaming about its great signature sound every night though!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I like bright mics and mellow mics. I think there's a time and place for all of them....
your pair on your drum kit was def the right time and right place!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Maybe its just the sonic style that is popular right now. The kind of style that cuts through airpods and cell phone speakers.
Yeah it's great, I put energy and skill into perfectly placing mix elements in the stereo field, only to watch my family and friends listening to music on a mono Alexa or mono Sonos box.

It's a form of madness, making music in 2020
📝 Reply