The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler REDD microphone
Old 24th August 2020
Lives for gear

Easy to use the REDD with outboard gear and get a drastically different sound but you need to pay close attention to your gain staging.

Its a great mic and very flexible.

Last edited by DougS; 24th August 2020 at 04:46 PM..
Old 24th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
In all honesty I’ve experimented with that quite a bit. The differences are there but very very subtle in my view. Experiment for sure but I wouldn’t say that this is the key to the Redd. Maybe 2% difference in an already great sound. It’s like a beautiful woman wearing a blue hat or a red one.
(Cue "You Can Leave Your Hat On")

BTW I think the world regarding Klaus' knowledge and work.
Having said that guys, honestly I preferred the REDD, on Dayo's specific vocal clip.
Chris
Old 6th October 2020
Lives for gear

REDD Mics in FILM and Television

Hey all, just adding to the big ole REDD thread. We interviewed Scoring Mixer/Engineer, Greg Hayes; it's pretty in depth on REDD Microphone usage across sources in film and TV, including Ant-Man and The Wasp, Black*klansman, Crazy Rich Asians and F1 Sports’ "Formula One," Despicable Me 3 and others...It's all about REDD Microphones in FILM and Television.

fwiw...Greg cut his teeth making records with Tim McGraw, Trace Adkins, Tom Petty, The Eagles, Dr. Dre, Mary J. Blige, Warren Zevon and Shelby Lynne; this guy has chops and then some.

Last edited by adam_f; 6th October 2020 at 03:30 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Singer Songwriter style song about being alone in COVID quarantine - vocals recorded with the Chandler REDD:

Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Singer Songwriter style song about being alone in COVID quarantine - vocals recorded with the Chandler REDD:

What processing is on that vocal?
Gear Addict
Quote:

Hello
What was your vocal chain?
What audio interface or AD converter did you use?
Was this mixed in the box if so was it mixed in Cubase or ProTools
What was all the tracks mixed on was it on an analog mixer, or was it in the box?

Thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
What processing is on that vocal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post
Hello
What was your vocal chain?
What audio interface or AD converter did you use?
Was this mixed in the box if so was it mixed in Cubase or ProTools
What was all the tracks mixed on was it on an analog mixer, or was it in the box?

Thanks
HW Chain
Chandler REDD Mic-->Coil CA70-->SPL DeEsser-->Kush Tweaker-->RS124-->RedNet Conversion

I tracked the vocals and mixed all the tracks (in-the-box) in StudioOne. Instrumentation was performed and tracked by a remote producer (Nathan Scott). I got the stems back, tracked vocals here at home and mixed it here.

Plugins on Vocals
iZotope Nectar 2
Valhalla Plate
Valhalla Vintage Verb
StudioOne standard Compressor
Tokyo Dawn Nova (dynamic eq)

Mastered by Mark Robinson (fellow gearslut)
Gear Addict
Quote:
HW Chain
Chandler REDD Mic-->Coil CA70-->SPL DeEsser-->Kush Tweaker-->RS124-->RedNet Conversion

I tracked the vocals and mixed all the tracks (in-the-box) in StudioOne. Instrumentation was performed and tracked by a remote producer (Nathan Scott). I got the stems back, tracked vocals here at home and mixed it here.

Plugins on Vocals
iZotope Nectar 2
Valhalla Plate
Valhalla Vintage Verb

What RedNet conversion did you use? the Model number ? what audio interface ?

Thank you ver much for your reply
Lives for gear

Quote:
What RedNet conversion did you use? the Model number ? what audio interface ?

Thank you ver much for your reply
X2P.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Reason I ask is it sounds sizzly up top and the upper mids are sucked out making it come across as not very clear. Pretty sure that's not the mic. Not meaning to be critical but this doesn't show off what I've heard that mic do.
Gear Addict
Quote:
HW Chain

Plugins on Vocals
iZotope Nectar 2
Valhalla Plate
Valhalla Vintage Verb

Sorry I meant what is your audio interface? what did you use to capture the vocal audio sound going into the computer ?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Reason I ask is it sounds sizzly up top and the upper mids are sucked out making it come across as not very clear. Pretty sure that's not the mic. Not meaning to be critical but this doesn't show off what I've heard that mic do.
Not a problem. We all have our specific tastes and preferences.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry I meant what is your audio interface? what did you use to capture the vocal audio sound going into the computer ?
RedNet X2P is the unit. Google it.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds great-As always, on all fronts Doug
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Anyone who has any recommendations of a compressor (preferably a 500 series) to pair with the Chandler Redd Mic for vocal tracking?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy View Post
Anyone who has any recommendations of a compressor (preferably a 500 series) to pair with the Chandler Redd Mic for vocal tracking?
Check out the Crane Song Falcon - great compressor that can do clean or dirty.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Thanks for the fast reply. I'll dig into it.
Quote:
hard not to recommend the rs124 here but it’s not 500 series.

also hard to go too wrong here, and I’m sure you’ll find no shortage of suggestions. What outboard compression do you have now?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
hard not to recommend the rs124 here but it’s not 500 series.

also hard to go too wrong here, and I’m sure you’ll find no shortage of suggestions. What outboard compression do you have now?
I suppose it's hard not to recommend the RS124 when it comes to pairing a comp with the REDD mic.

Until now, I haven't had any outboard gear. My vocal tracking chain has been really simple: a Shure Sm7b into an Apollo twin mk2. So I'm looking to take a hugh step toward another dimension

As a DIY-artist I do everything from my home studio and ITB. So I'm looking to get the one mic that will take my vocals to the next level. And from the research I've done - the REDD mic got it.

So I was just wondering what the next step will be after I've got the mic. I suppose it also sounds good going straight into the Apollo, but a comp might be favorable.
Since I'm looking for a portable solution a 500 series compressor would have been great as a starting point and then eventually build my outboard chain from there.
Lives for gear
You've managed to achieve a "dirty" sound with the falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
You've managed to achieve a "dirty" sound with the falcon?
You're right, dirty means different things to different people. By that I meant tube goodness.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A couple less expensive tube compressor options: Weight Tank WT-Comp, Grove Hill Liverpool. I'm tempted to get one of these myself.
Gear Head

I use an AudioScape Opto comp with my REDD. Sounds great and is simple to use.
Quote:
I suppose it's hard not to recommend the RS124 when it comes to pairing a comp with the REDD mic.

Until now, I haven't had any outboard gear. My vocal tracking chain has been really simple: a Shure Sm7b into an Apollo twin mk2. So I'm looking to take a hugh step toward another dimension

As a DIY-artist I do everything from my home studio and ITB. So I'm looking to get the one mic that will take my vocals to the next level. And from the research I've done - the REDD mic got it.

So I was just wondering what the next step will be after I've got the mic. I suppose it also sounds good going straight into the Apollo, but a comp might be favorable.
Since I'm looking for a portable solution a 500 series compressor would have been great as a starting point and then eventually build my outboard chain from there.
The REDD is certainly a big step up from an SM7B in terms of price.. and an entirely different kind of microphone. I hope you have a decent room, because I think the REDD needs it. You can work close, but I'm not sure that's really getting the most out of that REDD Mic. At least plan to put up a few moving/sound blankets to make a bit of a gobo... but hopefully you've got some treatment or access to treated spaces. If you haven't actually tried the REDD in your space, or the other spaces you intend to record, you really might want to. Even if that means paying for a rental or buying from a seller that will allow a return. Just my 2c. I've got the REDD, and I very much like it. It will sound like the room sounds.

The portability element of the REDD is really very cool. Packing along a 500 series comp in a small chassis would be a killer portable setup, again, as long as your recording environments sound nice.

As for compression, since this is your first outboard unit, I’ll humbly suggest spending a little of your budget on a line splitter or possibly a patchbay, depending on how much you intend to grow your setup... but based on what we know already, I'd suggest a line splitter for now. It will always come in handy, especially with that REDD outputting line level.

I suggest this purely as a way to track your compression in parallel, as an alternative to inserting the compression directly into your vocal chain. It’s so easy to overdo compression, or misuse it, esp. at first. Even after some experience with a unit, there are still basically no situations in which I do not prefer at least having access to the raw capture, in addition to the processed signal. The setup I’m suggesting would allow you to capture both the direct line out of the mic pre, and at the same time, the compressed signal, before AD, during tracking. For me, this has really helped accelerate my learning of a new unit by giving me a basis for comparison on playback rather than just in monitoring, which, esp. if you are also the singer, can be very misleading indeed.

I realize that you only have 2 inputs on that Apollo Twin, so if you were hoping to record more than one signal this way (eg: two signals, like the REDD Mic on vocals plus a DI or SM7B on guitar) you would not have the necessary inputs available for doing this in parallel.. but if you think you will have the spare input available, I cannot recommend enough starting out working in parallel. just my 2c.

I've got a few 500 series comps I quite like... No two units are much alike. I like my api units (probably 527 more than 525), I think my jlm LA500A optos are killer for what they cost me to build. Splice I find a little harder to work with, but certainly cool. I'm sure those RND units are nice too. I'll bet there are more than a few *best 500 series vocal compressor* threads up here somewhere...

good luck and have fun.
Here for the gear

Quote:
The REDD is certainly a big step up from an SM7B in terms of price.. and an entirely different kind of microphone. I hope you have a decent room, because I think the REDD needs it. You can work close, but I'm not sure that's really getting the most out of that REDD Mic. At least plan to put up a few moving/sound blankets to make a bit of a gobo... but hopefully you've got some treatment or access to treated spaces. If you haven't actually tried the REDD in your space, or the other spaces you intend to record, you really might want to. Even if that means paying for a rental or buying from a seller that will allow a return. Just my 2c. I've got the REDD, and I very much like it. It will sound like the room sounds.

The portability element of the REDD is really very cool. Packing along a 500 series comp in a small chassis would be a killer portable setup, again, as long as your recording environments sound nice.

As for compression, since this is your first outboard unit, I’ll humbly suggest spending a little of your budget on a line splitter or possibly a patchbay, depending on how much you intend to grow your setup... but based on what we know already, I'd suggest a line splitter for now. It will always come in handy, especially with that REDD outputting line level.

I suggest this purely as a way to track your compression in parallel, as an alternative to inserting the compression directly into your vocal chain. It’s so easy to overdo compression, or misuse it, esp. at first. Even after some experience with a unit, there are still basically no situations in which I do not prefer at least having access to the raw capture, in addition to the processed signal. The setup I’m suggesting would allow you to capture both the direct line out of the mic pre, and at the same time, the compressed signal, before AD, during tracking. For me, this has really helped accelerate my learning of a new unit by giving me a basis for comparison on playback rather than just in monitoring, which, esp. if you are also the singer, can be very misleading indeed.

I realize that you only have 2 inputs on that Apollo Twin, so if you were hoping to record more than one signal this way (eg: two signals, like the REDD Mic on vocals plus a DI or SM7B on guitar) you would not have the necessary inputs available for doing this in parallel.. but if you think you will have the spare input available, I cannot recommend enough starting out working in parallel. just my 2c.

I've got a few 500 series comps I quite like... No two units are much alike. I like my api units (probably 527 more than 525), I think my jlm LA500A optos are killer for what they cost me to build. Splice I find a little harder to work with, but certainly cool. I'm sure those RND units are nice too. I'll bet there are more than a few *best 500 series vocal compressor* threads up here somewhere...

good luck and have fun.
Thanks for this overwhelming reply. Greatly appreciated!
The upgrade from a SM7b to the REDD mic might seem silly at first, but I do really want the ONE mic that suits my voice the best and takes it to the next level.

So I've thought of mics like AA CM800t and Manley Ref C (with a Tele tube) as contenders. The CM800t is killer for its price and the Manley Ref C also got the modern/open sounding character that I'm after. Although I do seem to prefer spending a little more on the REDD mic, instead of going for a Manley Ref C + a well suited BAE 1073 preamp combo for instance. And I don't know how well the AA CM800t will do over time.

Living in Norway, it's not that easy to get hold on a good rental deal, so I might have to just pull the trigger and go for a good used deal and then eventually sell it if I'm not happy with the purchase. Though I can't see that I won't be happy with the REDD mic.

But yeah I do like myself some intimate/"right in your ear"/ASMR vocals now and then, so I would like to be fairly close to the mic and get some decent proximity effect. For a home setup I would say my room is fairly good treated, not ideal like the best A class studio booths, but I do have some gobos and the Aston Halo that will hopefully do a good job.

Speaking of compressor I do find the Crane Song Falcon to be tempting, because of it's features and it's dry/wet knob for parallel comp. I do already have a splitter, so it might be a good tip, just in case of over-compressing.
And I do only track and record my own vocals atm, so the two inputs from the Apollo is more than enough
Gear Head

Just get the damn mic already!!! I have it and it rocks!!
Quote:
The upgrade from a SM7b to the REDD mic might seem silly at first, but I do really want the ONE mic that suits my voice the best and takes it to the next level.

So I've thought of mics like AA CM800t and Manley Ref C (with a Tele tube) as contenders. The CM800t is killer for its price and the Manley Ref C also got the modern/open sounding character that I'm after. Although I do seem to prefer spending a little more on the REDD mic, instead of going for a Manley Ref C + a well suited BAE 1073 preamp combo for instance. And I don't know how well the AA CM800t will do over time.

Living in Norway, it's not that easy to get hold on a good rental deal, so I might have to just pull the trigger and go for a good used deal and then eventually sell it if I'm not happy with the purchase. Though I can't see that I won't be happy with the REDD mic.

But yeah I do like myself some intimate/"right in your ear"/ASMR vocals now and then, so I would like to be fairly close to the mic and get some decent proximity effect. For a home setup I would say my room is fairly good treated, not ideal like the best A class studio booths, but I do have some gobos and the Aston Halo that will hopefully do a good job.

Speaking of compressor I do find the Crane Song Falcon to be tempting, because of it's features and it's dry/wet knob for parallel comp. I do already have a splitter, so it might be a good tip, just in case of over-compressing.
And I do only track and record my own vocals atm, so the two inputs from the Apollo is more than enough
sounds like you have done your homework and are about to get you hands on the nicest mic you’ve ever had the pleasure of operating. It’s the only Mic you’ve ever used is the SM7B, you are in for a real treat
Here for the gear

Quote:
sounds like you have done your homework and are about to get you hands on the nicest mic you’ve ever had the pleasure of operating. It’s the only Mic you’ve ever used is the SM7B, you are in for a real treat
I've only owned a sm7b (11 years), but I've been using M149, U87 and the Violet flamingo standard for instance, while studying vocals on university. so I do have my preferences
Quote:
I've only owned a sm7b (11 years), but I've been using M149, U87 and the Violet flamingo standard for instance, while studying vocals on university. so I do have my preferences
Well this is helpful context. You’ve obviously got some experience.
I think you are going to be very happy indeed. I also think you are going to love tracking with hw compression, at least I do
Lives for gear

Quote:

A real Slut gets EVERY mic they "might" be interested in!

Chris
📝 Reply