The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler REDD microphone
Old 28th July 2020
  #1801
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
I'm sure 9 times out of 10 if someone didn't get on with this amazing mic its because they wanted it to sound like a U47. think of it before hand as a C800g with some added texture and you'll be happier. Sonys don't work on all voices, many mics don't, and neither will the Redd. Personally i found I needed to step further back from this mic than normal to get the best out of it, you can be a few feet away from this mic and I'll sound like you are 2 inches away, its incredible!

I'm surprised no one here talks about putting vintage tubes in it - that would make a bigger impact on the sound than a extra preamp stage (I tried Neve and DW Fearn, didn't add anything I was excited about). This thing is crying out for some British Mullards!

I spend a large chunk of a week with a demo unit - thought it was brilliant! The capsule alone prob costs more than most mics. Build quality is great - power supply is really well built too. One of the best looking mics ever too.
Yeah I don’t think it sounds like a 47 but that comparison has been made by some v experienced people. To me, it is voiced higher and the sound is not coloured in mid range like a 47. It’s a more expansive open sound than a 47. It really is its own thing. I don’t think u can change tubes though! Would not suggest. Never tried the Sony mics. Still love the Redd
Old 28th July 2020
  #1802
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Yeah I don’t think it sounds like a 47 but that comparison has been made by some v experienced people. To me, it is voiced higher and the sound is not coloured in mid range like a 47. It’s a more expansive open sound than a 47. It really is its own thing. I don’t think u can change tubes though! Would not suggest. Never tried the Sony mics. Still love the Redd
The tubes are very easy to access from memory (I had a peek inside). I've never preferred a stock tube that came with a mic over a NOS vintage one. Telefunken, Mullard, GE, Amperex will all make the mic sound very different when you compare them.

If I have a Redd mic I'd be hunting high and low for a tube that made it sound even more fantastic than it already does.
Old 28th July 2020
  #1803
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
I'm sure 9 times out of 10 if someone didn't get on with this amazing mic its because they wanted it to sound like a U47. think of it before hand as a C800g with some added texture and you'll be happier. Sonys don't work on all voices, many mics don't, and neither will the Redd. Personally i found I needed to step further back from this mic than normal to get the best out of it, you can be a few feet away from this mic and I'll sound like you are 2 inches away, its incredible!

I'm surprised no one here talks about putting vintage tubes in it - that would make a bigger impact on the sound than a extra preamp stage (I tried Neve and DW Fearn, didn't add anything I was excited about). This thing is crying out for some British Mullards!

I spend a large chunk of a week with a demo unit - thought it was brilliant! The capsule alone prob costs more than most mics. Build quality is great - power supply is really well built too. One of the best looking mics ever too.
From what I read in reviews, the capsule is european made and costs 500 to produce. I might try to put some different tubes in the microphone but I think it sounds good as is.

It's actually not possible to remove the tubes in the actual Redd preamp because every pin is soldered to small cables, it isn't a white tube socket from what I remember, so I think you need to solder a new tube in it if you want to change it. If someone can confirm.

And yes I agree, compared to my c800g, it's a more flavorful sound. I like the sound when I'm at a foot and a half from the mic.
Old 28th July 2020
  #1804
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
From what I read in reviews, the capsule is european made and costs 500 to produce. I might try to put some different tubes in the microphone but I think it sounds good as is.

It's actually not possible to remove the tubes in the actual Redd preamp because every pin is soldered to small cables, it isn't a white tube socket from what I remember, so I think you need to solder a new tube in it if you want to change it. If someone can confirm.

And yes I agree, compared to my c800g, it's a more flavorful sound. I like the sound when I'm at a foot and a half from the mic.
I must have missed that - is the other tube (the mic's tube) removable? I'd be starting with a Mullard or a Amperex if it was!

yeah a foot and a half away was similar to what I was finding - where as my other mics sound better closer than that.
Old 28th July 2020
  #1805
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
I must have missed that - is the other tube (the mic's tube) removable? I'd be starting with a Mullard or a Amperex if it was!

yeah a foot and a half away was similar to what I was finding - where as my other mics sound better closer than that.
I'll have to open it up and check or check some images online, but yeah I think they can be changed inside the mic, not so much in the preamp hardware.
Old 28th July 2020
  #1806
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
The REDD Microphone is specific and we select tubes for the REDD Microphone to a spec that caters to the design; they are also socketed for service should a tube need to be changed.

Aside and to provide clarity, the REDD.47 Rackmount preamplifier has tube sockets in the event they may need to be changed.
Old 3rd August 2020
  #1807
Lives for gear
Excited to be trying one tomorrow for voiceover. Very curious to see How it might perform on spoken word against the usual suspects. And will it be quiet enough....

Come on UPS....
Old 3rd August 2020
  #1808
Gear Maniac
 

I rem it being really low noise!
Old 3rd August 2020
  #1809
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Excited to be trying one tomorrow for voiceover. Very curious to see How it might perform on spoken word against the usual suspects. And will it be quiet enough....

Come on UPS....
Hi, see PM.
Old 5th August 2020
  #1810
Lives for gear
Chandler Redd vs KH U87 Spoken Word

So I got the mic yesterday and did some pretty unscientific tests just now comparing the REDD with one of our standard v/o mics. In this case, a U87ai that Klaus modded for us a couple of years ago.

The recording was made simultaneously with both capsules side by side and I tried hard not to favour one capsule over another. Both signals went to a Portico II channel strip, the KH U87 via the mic input and the REDD into the line level input. Even with the internal volume maxed out, the REDD needed about 6 dB of boost to match the levels. There was no processing at all, no compression, EQ, or even a high pass filter. From there to a Burl B2 ADC with its input level wide open.

Settings for the REDD: maximum volume, drive engaged, low contour switched in.

Both recordings had a very light de-click from RX 6 and, since I didn't want to use a pop shield, they might be a little plosive heavy. The files have been normalised to 0.1 dBfs.

The files are on the Dropbox link below, marked A and B. I won't drag this out for days on end, but I do think it's useful to avoid expectation bias. I'll reveal which is which to anyone who sends a pm and perhaps edit this post in a day or two with the details. Pics are attached too.

What do you think? Monitoring here on a pair of original Spiral Groove studio monitors but it would be interesting to hear from anyone with larger or more revealing cabinets.

PS For any Robert Frost aficionados, I recited one of his ditties from memory - don't shoot me if it's incorrect :-) And please forgive the dodgy mid-Atlantic voice; to my ears, Frost just sounds all wrong in a British accent!


EDIT: A IS THE KH NEUMANN, B IS THE REDD.

At the weekend, I’ll post a few honest thoughts about the Redd.



https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ays562b8x...5TpBajl5a?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler REDD microphone-img_1405.jpg   Chandler REDD microphone-img_1406.jpg  

Last edited by Dayo; 6th August 2020 at 07:08 AM..
Old 5th August 2020
  #1811
Gear Maniac
 

people might disagree with me but I'd personally not put the Redd mic through the Portico for this type of test, as the Redd mic has its own preamp so all you are doing is throwing extra transformers in the signal chain for the Redd mic, which could have all sorts of effects on its sound in test situation where you are trying to judge which has more detail and which sounds larger etc etc.

When i tested the Redd and put it through a Neve preamp it rolled the top end off too much for my liking on vocals, thats why i mention it.

again people feel free to disagree with me but I wouldn't use the Redd mic at the same recording distance as I'd use a U87ai or any other mic I've tried. I always used the Redd further back

I'd guess B as the Redd, but with the Portico used on the Redd (which could be rolling off the top for all i know), and the fact the U87ai is modded (I onyl know sound of unmodded) its hard to tell whats going on tbh, so if I'm wrong i won't be too embarrassed!!

the amount of essing going on maybe neither mic is for you? what about a lovely M49 type mic?
Old 5th August 2020
  #1812
Gear Maniac
 

U87ai through that VT1 you have vs the Redd and its own preamp would be interesting.
Old 5th August 2020
  #1813
Gear Maniac
 

compression threshold different on one channel?
Old 5th August 2020
  #1814
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
U87ai through that VT1 you have vs the Redd and its own preamp would be interesting.
The U87 does sound pretty stellar through the VT1, big, fat and very expensive.
I found there's just not enough gain from the internal pre on the REDD for spoken word without some help from another device, in this case, the Portico is just providing gain, no processing.

The original Neumann M49 is simply the best balanced mic I've ever heard, period. I don't have a spare £10k knocking around though!
Old 5th August 2020
  #1815
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
compression threshold different on one channel?
Compression was not engaged
Old 5th August 2020
  #1816
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
people might disagree with me but I'd personally not put the Redd mic through the Portico for this type of test, as the Redd mic has its own preamp so all you are doing is throwing extra transformers in the signal chain for the Redd mic, which could have all sorts of effects on its sound in test situation where you are trying to judge which has more detail and which sounds larger etc etc.
The Portico is pretty neutral, unlike classic Neves.

I'd be interested in hearing the same comparison with the drive and contour not engaged on the REDD. I would imagine that the drive would accentuate sibilance.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 6th August 2020 at 06:51 AM..
Old 6th August 2020
  #1817
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
...
Settings for the REDD: maximum volume, drive engaged, low contour switched in. ...https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ays562b8x...5TpBajl5a?dl=0
Right off the bat you're adding color from the drive & color from the contour. You're also going through 2 preamps (as your mic volume is up) and then the U87 is going through 1 pre & nothing else added to it.
When doing this type of A/B, & using an external pre (which you can use for all the volume needed), the gain on the mic should be as low as +4. The drive & contour should be off.
Old 6th August 2020
  #1818
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

I'd say B is the Chandler.

EDIT (After the fact): I picked B because of the bass. The REDD has more bass extension then any other mic I've heard and sample B had more bass - and the bass overtones sounded like my REDD.

The samples were very close. First on laptop speakers I could not hear any difference. Then on small Genelecs I thought I could hear a difference but wasn't sure. Then finally on my larger Gen 8341's it became obvious that B had more bass - especially in the first phrase.

Last edited by DougS; 9th August 2020 at 02:33 PM..
Old 6th August 2020
  #1819
Lives for gear
 

A is the REDD.
B is the Klaus Heyne 87.
Chris
P.S. Wonderful speaking voice!
Old 6th August 2020
  #1820
Lives for gear
 

Both sound great. I suppose A has more of the extended modern sound in both directions ... so I think that's the REDD. I have this perception of the REDD being really bright lately from the examples I've heard, but it's tough to pick that out here. It's very tough to tell with the first phrase.
Old 13th August 2020
  #1821
Lives for gear
A quick update: the REDD mic is going back to Thomann.

No doubt its a great mic - wonderful for many applications - but we felt the voicing rather too scooped for voiceover.

We just found there was not enough gain from the internal pre-amp for spoken word unless you track through a compressor or other device to get the output to a usable level. On the plus side, we agreed it was smooth, quiet and nicely detailed. Definitely on the vintage side overall.

If there's a better all round mic for v/o than a Klaus modded U87, we've yet to find it.
Old 13th August 2020
  #1822
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
If there's a better all round mic for v/o than a Klaus modded U87, we've yet to find it.
Sony C100 worth a shot?
Old 13th August 2020
  #1823
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
The Soyuz FET mics are a big hit for VO from what I've read here also.
Old 13th August 2020
  #1824
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The Soyuz FET mics are a big hit for VO from what I've read here also.
Thanks for that bOse. Must say that we are super-happy with the U87's that Klaus custom modded for us, and it's not like we're desperate for a change, but every now and then something new comes along that makes me curious to try; hence we had the REDD for a week or so. You just never know if there's something out there that's even better suited to your particular room or voice.

I must say the Soyuz looks very interesting..... Hmmmm.......
Old 13th August 2020
  #1825
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Thanks for that bOse. Must say that we are super-happy with the U87's that Klaus custom modded for us, and it's not like we're desperate for a change, but every now and then something new comes along that makes me curious to try; hence we had the REDD for a week or so. You just never know if there's something out there that's even better suited to your particular room or voice.

I must say the Soyuz looks very interesting..... Hmmmm.......
017 FET VO thread (with a sample) here.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
A is the REDD.
B is the Klaus Heyne 87.
Chris
P.S. Wonderful speaking voice!
It's actually the other way around.

Finding the right line driver to match is the key to getting the best sound out of the Redd.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1827
Lives for gear
 

At least I got the "P.S." right!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1828
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
It's actually the other way around.

Finding the right line driver to match is the key to getting the best sound out of the Redd.
In all honesty I’ve experimented with that quite a bit. The differences are there but very very subtle in my view. Experiment for sure but I wouldn’t say that this is the key to the Redd. Maybe 2% difference in an already great sound. It’s like a beautiful woman wearing a blue hat or a red one.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1829
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
It's actually the other way around.

Finding the right line driver to match is the key to getting the best sound out of the Redd.
its already got a expensive desirable preamp built into it I personally preferred it to adding a extra external preamp to the chain.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1830
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
It's actually the other way around.

Finding the right line driver to match is the key to getting the best sound out of the Redd.
Can’t say I agree. Tried a Neve 1073 DPA, a Neve Portico II and a Fearn VT1. Very little difference between them. Still found the sound to be a little too scooped and surprisingly sibilant. That’s my take, sorry if others disagree.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5895 views: 730267
Avatar for PettyCash
PettyCash 1st April 2020
replies: 169 views: 23470
Avatar for TheShadowV
TheShadowV 25th January 2018
replies: 281 views: 35809
Avatar for FOURTHTUNZ
FOURTHTUNZ 3rd April 2020
replies: 574 views: 74553
Avatar for Rick Dalton
Rick Dalton 15th August 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump