The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Vintage U47 experts / knowledgable collectors out there?? Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Nut

Any Vintage U47 experts / knowledgable collectors out there??

hey there guys...

anyone out there on this board that is a super knowledgable u47 expert out there???

im considering making a big purchase to get one to use, but spending that much, i wanna make sure its one of the 'holy grails' for collectibility and as secure as that investment can be...

anyone here, if you have the time can you please pm me... or perhaps turn me onto someone that i can contact?

i know about vintage king, trying to get a non biased corporate opinion... ive reached out to vintage king, who has suggested not buying anything other than their own they are selling for top dollar.
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Klaus
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

If you're serious, pay for GERMAN MASTERWORKS (Klaus Heyne) to escrow any sale of a U47. He's handled these things before. A reputable seller should be ok with this and split the costs of the escrow. If you're paying serious money for a vintage Neumann microphone this should be a no brainer and a cheap insurance policy for the long run.
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swicker View Post
hey there guys...

anyone out there on this board that is a super knowledgable u47 expert out there???

im considering making a big purchase to get one to use, but spending that much, i wanna make sure its one of the 'holy grails' for collectibility and as secure as that investment can be...

anyone here, if you have the time can you please pm me... or perhaps turn me onto someone that i can contact?

i know about vintage king, trying to get a non biased corporate opinion... ive reached out to vintage king, who has suggested not buying anything other than their own they are selling for top dollar.
Klaus yes, but i seemed to remember reading a post from Klaus here not too long ago saying he has a backlog .. but he can give you a list of tech's he trusts ..

not trying to speak for Klaus in any way just saying what i saw ..

and that is quite an investment these days .. there are a lot of New Designs that are available that are very nice indeed .. my .02

cheers john
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Maniac

Not sure a U47 is a safe investment nowadays. If you find for cheap a box of NOS VF14M tubes on the other hand...
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

I can help. I've authenticated and / or tested and even repaired / modded numerous times for people.

Last edited by jjblair; 23rd November 2016 at 06:26 PM..
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Guru

You might reach out to Dave Pearlman. He knows a lot, and he knows a lot of the other players. Nice guy, too.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search