The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rupert Neve Shelford Channel - Anyone using a stereo pair for 2-buss? Channel Strips
Old 17th November 2016
Here for the gear

Rupert Neve Shelford Channel - Anyone using a stereo pair for 2-buss?

Wondering if anyone here has had a chance yet to use these in a stereo pair for stereo buss processing or mastering?

if so how easy are they to match, are they detented pots?

and also does the compressor work well on full mixes or is it to heavy handed?
Old 18th November 2016
Shelford on the mix bus...

Well I'll bite on a few things, since I'm one of the few lucky people who have heard a pair so far...obvious manufacturer caveats and disclaimers implied and noted. We are starting to ship larger quantities now as well.
  • Every pot is detented.
  • There is a link switch to link a pair [the compressors link].
  • We make pretty tight tolerance stuff...
  • The entire channel is designed to be vibey and colored, but in a lovely way.
  • As you might recall a 33609 has many fans on stereo material, and the Shelford Channel compressor was designed by Rupert to offer that level of character but with lower noise, wider bandwidth, even more headroom, faster and more flexible time constants, more stability and precision of control, etc. all due to a more complex full rectifier diode bridge and 48 volts of class 'A' headroom!
  • Diode bridge compression as implemented by Rupert Neve himself has increasing amounts of euphoric distortion or love from about 400z on down, providing a wonderful warm sound, all very controllable.
  • There is a blend control to achieve parallel compression on board, if you have too much of the above mentioned love.
  • There is a sweepable HPF fliter that can be inserted on the sidechain or you can use your favorite eq as well, all very handy things on a mix...
  • The is a +26.5dbm output and a "-6 output" at +20.5dbm that can be more easily overloaded and saturated without creaming the subsequent piece of gear or A>D...both are usable at the same time, as expected.
  • Of course there is silk red and silk blue for your sonic pleasure.

Rather than telling you it's best thing to enter your control room since pizza, and comes with unicorn horns, I'd prefer to let some users weigh in and tell you about their personal experiences and sonic adventures.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 20th November 2016
Gear Maniac

@ Jonathan,

Hi!

I own 2 Portico channels.... I am using the porticos in a Hybrid setup: Recording guitars, vocals... and for mixing duties where I "reamp" almost everything in the box thru them as a way to add that 3D. And finally, I'll add the channels on my mix buss for the final glue.

So... that's a lot of "Portico's color" for my mixes!

My questions:

1) Does 2 Shelford scould work in the same way or are they too coloured for the same kind of hybrid situation?
2) Using the Portico's Silk, is there a way to achieve a similar color of the Shelford?
3) My other hardwares are 1073, 1176 and la2a. I used to have a 2254 which I sold because not enough control for my taste. Is the Shelford's compressor more usefull than a 2254 and a good add-on considering I already own a 1073+1176+la2a?
4) If I got the Shelford, should I sell my 1073?

Well, I know these are "subjective" questions but anyway thanks for your time!
And for sure, the Shelford is quite tempting!

Yann
Old 20th November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well I'll bite on a few things, since I'm one of the few lucky people who have heard a pair so far...obvious manufacturer caveats and disclaimers implied and noted. We are starting to ship larger quantities now as well.
  • Every pot is detented.
  • As you might recall a 33609 has many fans on stereo material, and the Shelford Channel compressor was designed by Rupert to offer that level of character but with lower noise, wider bandwidth, even more headroom, faster and more flexible time constants, more stability and precision of control, etc. all due to a more complex full rectifier diode bridge and 48 volts of class 'A' headroom!
  • Diode bridge compression as implemented by Rupert Neve himself has increasing amounts of euphoric distortion or love from about 400z on down, providing a wonderful warm sound, all very controllable.
  • There is a blend control to achieve parallel compression on board, if you have too much of the above mentioned love.
  • There is a sweepable HPF fliter that can be inserted on the sidechain or you can use your favorite eq as well, all very handy things on a mix...
  • The is a +26.5dbm output and a "-6 output" at +20.5dbm that can be more easily overloaded and saturated without creaming the subsequent piece of gear or A>D...both are usable at the same time, as expected.

Rather than telling you it's best thing to enter your control room since pizza, and comes with unicorn horns, I'd prefer to let some users weigh in and tell you about their personal experiences and sonic adventures.

Best-
Jonathan
Hey Jonathan has VKLA gotten any yet?
been waiting on the demo.
Old 22nd November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yann Leon View Post
@ Jonathan,

Hi!

I own 2 Portico channels.... I am using the porticos in a Hybrid setup: Recording guitars, vocals... and for mixing duties where I "reamp" almost everything in the box thru them as a way to add that 3D. And finally, I'll add the channels on my mix buss for the final glue.

So... that's a lot of "Portico's color" for my mixes!

My questions:

1) Does 2 Shelford scould work in the same way or are they too coloured for the same kind of hybrid situation?
2) Using the Portico's Silk, is there a way to achieve a similar color of the Shelford?
3) My other hardwares are 1073, 1176 and la2a. I used to have a 2254 which I sold because not enough control for my taste. Is the Shelford's compressor more usefull than a 2254 and a good add-on considering I already own a 1073+1176+la2a?
4) If I got the Shelford, should I sell my 1073?

Well, I know these are "subjective" questions but anyway thanks for your time!
And for sure, the Shelford is quite tempting!

Yann

Yann-
Lot's of good and interesting questions! Let me try and answer some of them.

1. The Shelford Channel is definitely more colored than a PII channel but that isn't a bad thing. We have had good reports of customers loving to have both flavours. Many PII owners like have all the choices.

2. Not really as the Mic Pre, EQ, Compressors, and even the D.I. are very different. Examples of the difference include the Inductor EQ- which is very much about warm, very broad strokes, and the PII EQ is very much about sweepable, very controllable, super accurate eq. The compressor is obviously very different, and even the input circuitry [Mic and Line and DI] is more 'vibey' or colored. Even the -6dbm output allows the Silk to hit harder with more control, but it's the same silk basically.

3. The Shelford Compressor is very much in the 2254 family but does offer much faster time constants, and the aforementioned lower noise, more headroom, parallel /blend control, more control, blah, blah, blah. That being said if you sold your previous 2254's, then diode bridge compression may not be your cupa tea. You can use the blend control to give you alot more control along with the more t/c but it's not really a subtle compressor. I must say you own most of my favorite tools, those are ALL great choices you have, and lot's of fun possibilities...which brings me to#4

4. Is it an original 1073 [pretty hard to replace at a reasonable price]? Do you find yourself still using it alot for tracking? I think you could certainly consider selling it, but you would need to try the Shelford Channel first, and basically it sounds like perhaps you should see if it fits your workflow, style, etc.. Do you have a Dealer you work with who could help you with a demo? Basically I am not comfortable telling anyone to just blanketly sell a piece of gear if they like and use it regularly. Can a Shelford channel do what a 1073 does and more- sure I feel it can, but is it right for you? Not able to answer that. I don't want to be that guy, as everyone's workflow, sound, music, etc. is very different...

Not sure if I've been all that helpful, but I'm trying.

Best-
Jonathan

Last edited by [email protected]; 22nd November 2016 at 04:13 PM..
Old 22nd November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Hey Jonathan has VKLA gotten any yet?
been waiting on the demo.
Hey Hunter!
I heard you stopped by the booth at AES, and I think I was off at the AES event that I moderated-- Darryl Thorpe was letting us hear some amazing raw tracks of Beck's Morning Phase and Lake Street Drive. I'm really sorry I missed you and didn't get to meet you! Maybe at NAMM? PM me?

Re VLKA, I'll check with the them and Texas and see where we are at! I'll PM you. We are [as usual with new products] back ordered, and working hard to get enough units out in the field. Should be getting better everyday.

Thanks [as always]for your interest!

Best-
Jonathan
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yann-
Lot's of good and interesting questions! Let me try and answer some of them.

1. The Shelford Channel is definitely more colored than a PII channel but that isn't a bad thing. We have had good reports of customers loving to have both flavours. Many PII owners like have all the choices.

2. Not really as the Mic Pre, EQ, Compressors, and even the D.I. are very different. Examples of the difference include the Inductor EQ- which is very much about warm, very broad strokes, and the PII EQ is very much about sweepable, very controllable, super accurate eq. The compressor is obviously very different, and even the input circuitry [Mic and Line and DI] is more 'vibey' or colored. Even the -6dbm output allows the Silk to hit harder with more control, but it's the same silk basically

(......)

Not sure if I've been all that helpful, but I'm trying.

Best-
Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan! You really answered my questions! I really appreciate.

Well.... I like "mojo" actually! And I most admit, I did regret selling the 2254.
In fact, If it had more control, I would have keep it. Since, I am looking at the 33609... but the Shelford seems to be a better option. (2 Shelford in fact)

Regarding the 1073... I have the "new standalone version". And I really like it.
1073 and the Portico is a nice combo actually. Simply switch between preamps and choose regarding the quality you need. 1073 being more laidback, than Portico.

I am sure the Shelford would be a good contender too. With the EQ, the Silk, and the compressor...... haaaaa. Like a supercharged 1073.

Well thanks again for your detailed answer!

Have a good day / night.

Yann
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
  • Every pot is detented.

Best-
Jonathan
Thanks, Great info!
Old 29th December 2017
Here for the gear

Jonathon- hi! I am currently considering either purchasing another Shelford or something with tubes for mixbus purposes... are there any reviews out there on how the Shelfords sound linked as a master bus processor? Thanks!

justin
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi Justin,

I cannot speak for Jonathan, but I have 2 Shelfords for stereo operations. And in fact, it is one of the best decision i've made regarding hardware. For mix buss, it really adds 3D ness, and little details become more apparent. (I know it sounds cliché, but this is the truth) I prefer unlinked.

I use them also before mixing time: I EQ and compress every track (that need Shelford's love), one by one. It might be against the rules of proper mixing but man, i can't figure how one would not use those 2254ish + EQ on everything!! ;-)

PS: I have bought my Shelfords at different time, so they were not exactly tuned to be a perfect matching pair. I spoke to Jonathan and he and Martin did an incredible job to make them match.

PS2: I also have 2 Portico Channels, but they need tuning too. If you are interested, I might report back later how they behave when properly tuned. I am planning to use the shelford for the 3D ness and rms lift + Portico for final control on the mixbuss. Seems like a perfect combo.

Yann
Old 30th December 2017
Here for the gear

Yann-- thanks so much for your information. Actually, I didn't even consider the fact that the two units might not actually be in tune with each other... this is a great point. May I ask, did you have to send them both to RND to get them tuned? I'd also be interested in hearing how your Portico/Shelford combo is works out. I don't think I could afford two Porticos right now, but it definitely does sounds like a great match and something to work towards.

Thanks a lot,
j
Old 31st December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by markelje View Post
Yann-- thanks so much for your information. Actually, I didn't even consider the fact that the two units might not actually be in tune with each other... this is a great point. May I ask, did you have to send them both to RND to get them tuned? I'd also be interested in hearing how your Portico/Shelford combo is works out. I don't think I could afford two Porticos right now, but it definitely does sounds like a great match and something to work towards.

Thanks a lot,
j

They are supposed to be in tuned, and, before buying, I asked Jonathan and he was convinced that both unit should be alike.

...but I've bought two different revisions.... (was not lucky) So I add to sent them back to RND. They did a super job though.

By the way, EVERY comp / EQ I've bought so far were different. The worst were the pultec. Even the API 2500 which is a stereo unit had slightly different behavior between its channel. So I don't sweat anymore when I buy 2 units. I assume they won't be the same.
Old 31st December 2017
Here for the gear

Gotcha, thanks!
Old 3rd January 2018
Here for the gear
Great post here! Johnathan thanks for the insight and you certainly helped me turn a corner on getting my second Shelford.
I too have the PII and it is really nice as well and I am seriously thinking about getting a second for mixing too.
PII is like everyone says clean as it gets but so different from the Shelford.
The allure of having two Shelfords on the mix buss and for tracking is just so damn SEXY!
I have a moderately small studio and recently converted it to Dante. Mixing with the Neve 5060, Neve MBP and tracking with the Shelford.

Johnathan I have a question for you. Not trying to derail this thread but since this is about using a pair of Shelfords I wanted to ask this.

Is it possible to use a pair of the Shelfords for tracking with the 5060 which I know the 5060 is not really made for tracking. But is it possible to do this with my Dante setup since it is so easy to route signals and or is it even practical? I just want to have a couple of channels of Shelfords connected to a small mixer without double excessive gain staging. A simple Neve style mixer for tracking voice and guitar.
All of this Neve gear I bought this year is new to me. But the possibilities seem enticing.
I was going to have something custom made but if I already have the capability with whats at hand then that would work for me.
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear
Hi!
Is there any difference between the Channel and the 5052 more than the compressor?
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Head

Channel has the DI as well, its really high quality.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear
I'm curious about this as well. I have a Shelford Channel, and I have really no desire for any other outboard ... except a second Shelford. Really curious about running two for stereo bus and reamping things.
Old 4th February 2019
Rupert Neve Designs Shelford Channel

Hi all,

I'm following this thread closely.

Can any users with experience on actual AMS Neve gear or old school Neve 1073 racks comment on the new Shelford?

I'm curious to hear the opinions of users not affiliated with the brand (no offense to the excellent responsiveness of the RND rep - more companies should follow your lead!).

I'm a big fan of modern designs of timeless pieces. In other words, I'm wondering if this RND Shelford Channel is the equivalent of the Moog Model D Reissue?

Cheers,

Phil
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Nut

I have a shelford channel and a BAE 1032. I demoed both as I wanted to understand the differences. In my view, they sound completely different. The shelford stands on its own, but has a lot less "Mojo" than the BAE; ie it is a very powerful tone shaping tool, but more clean and hifi than the vintage NEVE recreation. Driving the input on the BAE does something the the signal that the RND does not do. This being said, the sound of the shelford is also great. But to come to your question: they are completely different in my view and you should demo both.
Old 5th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by decurion99 View Post
I have a shelford channel and a BAE 1032. I demoed both as I wanted to understand the differences. In my view, they sound completely different. The shelford stands on its own, but has a lot less "Mojo" than the BAE; ie it is a very powerful tone shaping tool, but more clean and hifi than the vintage NEVE recreation. Driving the input on the BAE does something the the signal that the RND does not do. This being said, the sound of the shelford is also great. But to come to your question: they are completely different in my view and you should demo both.
This is exactly the kind of opinion I was seeking. Thanks!

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and ship in a few different units from my trusty vendor.

I'm a really big fan of preamps that can be pushed and driven. Lots of them can be pushed, but sound terrible when distorting. I was hoping that I would be able to push the preamp a little (on the Shelford), and dial back the trim (and combine that with the silk) to get a bit of grit. I'm interpreting the Shelford to be much more subtle from your comments.

IMO, this piece still looks like a very attractive piece of kit. I'm particularly keen on using it for everything - from tracking, to loopbacks on individual tracks, and even throwing it on the master buss while mixing in the DAW. Seeing that the pots are detented, it really does look like a complete solution.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut

Yes, I thought the same thing about overdriving / dialing back, etc.There's not much over the top overdriving you can do with the Shelford, it is is a lot more subtle than what marketing implies (and the signal breaks up before it fattens nicely) if you have a BAE vintage NEVE as a comparison. I also find the Q of the mid band in the RND Shelford too narrow and not too useful. But if you want precise, beautiful tone shaping the shelford is excellent. It is a great multi purpose channel strip. But the BAE has that over the top fatness you cannot recreate with the shelford. I do not want to miss both. I'd run a Moog bassline through the BAE and would process more complex material through the shelford or where less colouring and precise control are important. The diode bridge is also a lot more subtle than I had thought. But it glues signals in place in a very powerful manner ... so I'd describe the shelford as a beautifully executed generalist rendition of the Neve idea with a more controlled demeanor. Not as clean and precise as an SSL, not as mid forward and punchy as an API, but genuinely euphonic like RND.

In my view the best preamps to overdrive are the Neve and the electrodyne. Take a look at that one. It has that overdrive / dial back thing ...
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
Yes, I thought the same thing about overdriving / dialing back, etc.There's not much over the top overdriving you can do with the Shelford, it is is a lot more subtle than what marketing implies (and the signal breaks up before it fattens nicely) if you have a BAE vintage NEVE as a comparison. I also find the Q of the mid band in the RND Shelford too narrow and not too useful. But if you want precise, beautiful tone shaping the shelford is excellent. It is a great multi purpose channel strip. But the BAE has that over the top fatness you cannot recreate with the shelford. I do not want to miss both. I'd run a Moog bassline through the BAE and would process more complex material through the shelford or where less colouring and precise control are important. The diode bridge is also a lot more subtle than I had thought. But it glues signals in place in a very powerful manner ... so I'd describe the shelford as a beautifully executed generalist rendition of the Neve idea with a more controlled demeanor. Not as clean and precise as an SSL, not as mid forward and punchy as an API, but genuinely euphonic like RND.

In my view the best preamps to overdrive are the Neve and the electrodyne. Take a look at that one. It has that overdrive / dial back thing ...
Thanks for the input. I'm purging a lot of my 500-series to fund a pair of channel strips. I had the Electrodyne preamp. I absolutely loved it with my u87ai, and other bright sources, but did not like the way the preamp distorted or broke up when pushed (when the clipping indicator lit up).

As for channels, I'm really liking the idea of a pair of API Channel strips, or the Retro Power Strips, but I'm more leaning towards the RND Shelford; even if (the RND) is a tad cleaner than other modern clones.

I'm a big fan of limited choices, simplistic design, and detented knobs for matching/repeatability (for outboard). As of now, I may just test drive a pair, and see if I can part with my 500-series rack. I can see a pair of RND Shelford Channels being great for reamping/re-looping DAW tracks, and for mix buss duties (without requiring rewiring or the use of a patch bay).

Cheers,

Phil
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:

Hi, I have two Shelford and have observed the same perceived limitation ... but then spoke to Jonathan Little online and learned of the Redcloud attenuator he makes - designed to receive the line out from the preamp and reduce “Master vaunt” so you can drive the pre to fatness. I’ve preserved one and will report back on performance, but thought I’d see if others have used this to good effect. Maybe Mr. Little will see and comment.
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
As for channels, I'm really liking the idea of a pair of API Channel strips, or the Retro Power Strips, but I'm more leaning towards the RND Shelford; even if (the RND) is a tad cleaner than other modern clones.

I'm a big fan of limited choices, simplistic design, and detented knobs for matching/repeatability (for outboard). As of now, I may just test drive a pair, and see if I can part with my 500-series rack. I can see a pair of RND Shelford Channels being great for reamping/re-looping DAW tracks, and for mix buss duties (without requiring rewiring or the use of a patch bay).

Cheers,

Phil
Hi Phil

you're pretty much exactly describing the Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet, have you checked it out? Designed for recording and reamping, has discrete Neve and API-style blocks that can be driven hard and cascaded into each other, built in patchbay, fantastic baxendall style EQ.

I was tossing up between a pair of Aurora Audio GTQC's and 2 Shelfords when I came across this piece. Got one earlier this year and it has basically replaced 20k worth of outboard from my studio, I've sold the lot. There's a lively First Impressions thread here on Gearslutz if you're curious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search