The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAD ax32 Lantency..!! Digital Converters
Old 16th November 2016
Here for the gear
DAD ax32 Lantency..!!

Hi.

I just bought a DAD ax32, I still have not been delivered.

I am concerned about the latency that I will have with the Dante Virtual Sound system via software and ethernet connection. I work with Ableton Live and ProTools.

is possible 1-2 ms latency via ethernet with DVS?

Regards.
Old 17th November 2016
Deleted User
DVS will always have a minimum of 4ms of latency.

"While the Dante Virtual Soundcard generally exhibits higher latency than Dante hardware devices, performance is not compromised by the addition of a Dante Virtual Soundcard device to the network. This is because Dante does not require latency to be a single value for the whole network."

"The Dante Latency drop-down menu allows you to set the device latency (time before playout). A Dante device receiving audio from Dante Virtual Soundcard will use this value (unless the receiving device only supports higher latencies). The latency compensates primarily for computer scheduling jitter, as well as delay variations encountered in the network."

"Dante latency is deterministic; that is, it is not dependent upon circumstances but instead well known and consistent within the system all of the time.

Each Dante receiver introduces a specific, user-adjustable amount of latency before playing out audio to account for any delay variation in the network or end device, and this guarantees that all devices play out in perfect sync. Dante Controller sets this latency per device, and the value selected should be based on the size of the network. Some examples are shown below:

1 switch hop (very small network): 0.15ms
3 switch hops (small network): 0.25ms
5 switch hops (medium network): 0.5ms
10 switch hops (large network): 1ms
+10 switch hops (very large network): 5ms"

https://www.audinate.com/resources/faqs
Dante Latency
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

As Reynaud have said, DVS is bit specific case.. transport latency itself for packets in Dante network itself is very low (as low as 150us), but as DVS is completely software based endpoint running on top of normal operating system, it uses additional buffering to guarantee stable audio streaming from/to it, that's why there's that selectable 4, 6 and 10ms buffer. To get whole picture, you have to also count with ASIO/CoreAudio buffer and also some latency for some possible routing inside of converter and AD/DA conversion, which might be easily 0.7-2ms (for both directions) at standard rates depending on the particular model.

So couple of variables contributes to real obtainable RTL with DVS.. I haven't worked with AX32, but can imagine with some reasonably optimized computer you can be at 12-15ms with RTL.
I've said it few times here, to me.. if one doesn't monitor through DAW and don't perform with it, so DAW is used rather in tape like fashion, then DVS can be adequate solution. To reach better performance, PCIe Dante accelerators (Forcusrite, Yamahe) is necessary, then it will reach RTLs of good interfaces.

Michal
Old 18th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Not really relevant (as the real issue is DVS not the AX32) but the AX32's Dante implementation won't go below 250us.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search