The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most flattering, impressive, touching microphones you heard Condenser Microphones
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear
Most flattering, impressive, touching microphones you heard

Which microphones 'caused outstanding memories in you due to their sonic feel?
Old 15th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
I love Schoeps SDCs. Some don't, I do. There's a realness there that I value.
Old 16th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milner View Post
I love Schoeps SDCs. Some don't, I do. There's a realness there that I value.
On that subject a Schoeps M222 valve pre amp. Not loved by all on here it seems, but I was and continue to be blown away by the detail of the standard scheps SDC caps, combined with a 701 valve.

So Corey I agree 100% you really "hear" things with the Schoeps SDCs I think they are arguably superior to even my beloved B and K 4006s
Old 16th November 2016
Royer SF12! I have said it a few times, but it is the sound in my head. Amazing stereo imaging. Amazing tonal qualities. And amazingly simple in use.

I don't use it to record orchestras, but this is a demo from the Royer website. The first two pieces are recorded with just a single SF12.

http://www.royerlabs.com/audio_wav/14Orchestra.wav
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
Royer SF12! I have said it a few times, but it is the sound in my head. Amazing stereo imaging. Amazing tonal qualities. And amazingly simple in use.

I don't use it to record orchestras, but this is a demo from the Royer website. The first two pieces are recorded with just a single SF12.

http://www.royerlabs.com/audio_wav/14Orchestra.wav
Wow!
"Honey, I need your tights, we're goin' to the bank"
Old 16th November 2016
In 1979, I was a young engineer setting up for a session later that day. Once the mics were set up, I checked each one. An AKG C-452 blew my mind. It was just the sound of the room, but that snappy, live presence is still burned in my mind.
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Guru

I remember being really blown away by 414s on my vibes at a studio in Chicago. We later got one and it didn't sound anything like what I had heard as a player. I've since figured out the silver bodied 414 is a much different from the B/uls model I once owned.
Old 16th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I remember being really blown away by 414s on my vibes at a studio in Chicago. We later got one and it didn't sound anything like what I had heard as a player. I've since figured out the silver bodied 414 is a much different from the B/uls model I once owned.
There are a bunch of iterations of this mic, those early ones with brass capsule that you see for $3,500 at Vintage King are amazing mics that were used on Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, etc. It's all about the cap, not the body color AFAIK. Advanced Audio has a nice article on the history of the 414 on their site.

In the Mick Jagger doc "Being Mick" they record Bono in a hotel room, just a generic black 414. Just goes to show you how much the fat cats care about the stuff we lose sleep over.

Old 16th November 2016
First time I heard a sanken cu41
Don't know why they don't get much love here...
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milner View Post
There are a bunch of iterations of this mic, those early ones with brass capsule that you see for $3,500 at Vintage King are amazing mics that were used on Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, etc. It's all about the cap, not the body color AFAIK. Advanced Audio has a nice article on the history of the 414 on their site.

In the Mick Jagger doc "Being Mick" they record Bono in a hotel room, just a generic black 414. Just goes to show you how much the fat cats care about the stuff we lose sleep over.

I'm very aware of the now. In 1999 when I made my old boss buy a 414 I had no idea.
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Horch RM2
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

Manley Gold Reference. Once I used it, I couldn't get that found out of head.
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear
The first time I used a Cole 4038. My first LDC tube was also cool, in my case a Groove Tubes MD1A
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear
Sanken CU-41 (as mentioned above)
Brauner Phantom (for it's bass handling and 3D liquid sound)
Soundfield Mk IV
coles 4038 somewhat
Old 18th November 2016
Neumann u47 with k47 capsule and vf14m...

U47 style Mics with Thiersch Blue Line m7

Sony c800g - mic always impresses me how bright, present, and articulate this mic is without being harsh. Love it on my Vox ❤️️

Miktek cv4... beautiful vintage tone for the price. Great sound. Good mic technique helps tame the slight zing in the 9-10kHz region.

Vintage Neumann U87i late '70's model I believe. Sound of hit records j/k a very familiar sound that works on just about anything. It can flatter certain voices and really enhance the vocal capture..
Old 18th November 2016
My 251. Every time I put it up. Wins almost every shootout and when it doesn't win it isn't because it does sound the prettiest. It is because it is just not the vibe we were looking for.

(In some content, I'm mixing a record now that I recorded a couple of months ago. Sassy female singer and I really wanted to make a thing of her attitude. The 251 made her sound too pretty. The M49 did exactly what was needed, so on that occasion, while the 251 still gave me that feeling, it just wasn't right for the song.)
Old 18th November 2016
Here for the gear
On an album I recorded a few weeks ago I used a Soundelux 251 on vocals and it sounds amazing! 251 into a 1084 then a distressor. I'm mixing at the minute and can't get over how good the vocal sounds!
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

AEA 44 and Royer 122v. Every time I put those mics up I want to dance with joy.
Old 18th November 2016
Recently impressed by an old B6 on a Stage 2 Rocket w/Siemens NOS Valve through our 30 year old DBX576 modified with transformer and NOS valves.
Also, there's special magic under the hood of the Violet Globe Standard and Emerald, male vocals come alive in even in the most dense mixes.
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My 251. Every time I put it up. Wins almost every shootout and when it doesn't win it isn't because it does sound the prettiest. It is because it is just not the vibe we were looking for.

(In some content, I'm mixing a record now that I recorded a couple of months ago. Sassy female singer and I really wanted to make a thing of her attitude. The 251 made her sound too pretty. The M49 did exactly what was needed, so on that occasion, while the 251 still gave me that feeling, it just wasn't right for the song.)
Trev - On the 251 and M49 are you working with modern versions or vintage. Based on your website I assume Tele US 251 & Flea 49?

On this one female singer - would love to know the full chain if that's possible to share.
Old 18th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Trev - On the 251 and M49 are you working with modern versions or vintage. Based on your website I assume Tele US 251 & Flea 49?

On this one female singer - would love to know the full chain if that's possible to share.
Yes it's. Custom shop t-funk USA with an nos capsule and a flea m49. Recall sheet tells me it was m49, AML 1073, lisson Grove AR1, Burl AD.

Last edited by [email protected]; 18th November 2016 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Fixing autocorrect
Old 18th November 2016
Gear Guru
A $14 Monoprice vocal dynamic microphone. On my flat nasal voice, is amazing... No joke. My mastering guy was floored. On a female vocal Oktava 2500 tube mic. She's recorded with everything......
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes it's. Custom shop t-funk USA with an nod capsule and a flea m49. Recall sheet tells me it was m49, AML 1073, lisson Grove AR1, Burl AD.
Thanks much. Nice chain.
Old 18th November 2016
Gear Nut

sandhill 6011A, so realistic. and josephson E22S.
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

My vintage 251s give me goosebumps. My red jeweled M49, too. And one of the Design FX U47s that was Klaus'd sounded like God incarnate.
Old 19th November 2016
Here for the gear

Hey I'm looking into microphones .. One way to tell is to look at studios like milk boy studio in philly where I'm at is a big one... Also look at artists recording on YouTube who u listen to sometimes I can get a feel for what people are using... Also I'm new and don't know how to post I have another question but figured I'd post here
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brauner Valvet X, Brauner Phanthera V, Sonodore LDM-54, Violet Amethyst V, Violet Emerald LE, Royer SF-24, Sennheiser MKH30, Schoeps BLM3, Schoeps MK41, Schoeps MK21, Schoeps MK8, Schoeps CMiT 5U, Microtech Gefell M296. These are the mics that have given me various extraordinary results.
Old 19th November 2016
Fantasy Studios's pair of M49's on their grand piano in Studio D. WOW.
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Addict
Samar MF65 ribbon nuff said
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

My FLEA 49B has never failed to excite thrill and seduce me. I own 13 microphones and if I could only keep 2 it would be my FLEA and an original SM7 (not a not b) I have had longer than I can remember.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search