The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternative for Electronaut M63
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Addict

Alternative for Electronaut M63

Hi!

I am madly in love with Electronaut M63 and would like to get another one but it seems to be temporaily out of production for quite some time and would like to ask you all if you could possibly name some alternatives that is similar to the M63. It is just fantastic as an DI for bass, synth and guitar. No need for amp just gorgeous sound. It does of course also sounds lovely with a microphone and my goto is sm7b wich seems to be very fond of interacting with the M63

Thanks!

/peter
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Yeah, there is really nothing else like the M63....but, a few options that come to mind are the DW Fearn VT-2, Pendulum Auidio MDP-1, LaChapell 992EG.

The Fearn does not have a DI, but that gives you the opportunity to have a few different DI's around to vary the tone a bit.
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

No idea why this guys doesnt build more if demand is so high for his preamp
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
No idea why this guys doesnt build more if demand is so high for his preamp
When RobRoy came out with his M97 compressor, the bar for the design and build quality on that had been set so high that he felt the need to go back and re-design the M63.

That's why.

It will be back....and better, if that's even possible.
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Addict

Hm, that sounds intriguing. An even better m63....

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm just so fond of that m63 tone. I had a chandler red devil pre which I kind of liked (headroom for days), but, its a very different thing and It was not for me, but it did made me realize what a fantastic thing the m63 really is to record with..
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fitz View Post
When RobRoy came out with his M97 compressor, the bar for the design and build quality on that had been set so high that he felt the need to go back and re-design the M63.

That's why.

It will be back....and better, if that's even possible.
So ur saying to start saving my pennies now?
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So ur saying to start saving my pennies now?
That's exactly what I'm saying.
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

I had a producer/talent in here doing some dialogue for some commercials recently.
I started with the U67 and the Great River MP2NV. The producer (with me in the control room) was very happy with the sound, she (talent) was in the dry booth.

After about 10 minutes (she still wasn't about to get a take), i decided i thought the M63 would be better, so i switched it over.
The minute she began to speak again(same gain) the producer looked over at me, eyebrows raise and said "Wow"!
The top end went from "so so" to Exciting, and the articulation really came to life.
The M63 is amazing.
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear
Look at some of the Hendyamps stuff. Home | Hendyamps
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
I had a producer/talent in here doing some dialogue for some commercials recently.
I started with the U67 and the Great River MP2NV. The producer (with me in the control room) was very happy with the sound, she (talent) was in the dry booth.

After about 10 minutes (she still wasn't about to get a take), i decided i thought the M63 would be better, so i switched it over.
The minute she began to speak again(same gain) the producer looked over at me, eyebrows raise and said "Wow"!
The top end went from "so so" to Exciting, and the articulation really came to life.
The M63 is amazing.
I dont like you rubbing it in that you have one and I dont
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont like you rubbing it in that you have one and I dont
Well, think of it as taking one for the team.
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Nut

When will the new m63 pre be available?
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Nut

DPA 4011 mics into a Qes Labs SMP-2 and you get sonic heaven in a pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fitz View Post
... a few options that come to mind are the DW Fearn VT-2, Pendulum Auidio MDP-1, LaChapell 992EG.

The Fearn does not have a DI, but that gives you the opportunity to have a few different DI's around to vary the tone a bit.
Check out this piano shoot-out:
Stereo Tube Preamp: D.W. Fearn, Tube-Tech, QES Labs

Old 16th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupunk View Post
When will the new m63 pre be available?
There is no timeline on the re-designed pre yet, but maybe y'all should grab one of his compressors before they're gone too!
Old 24th November 2016
Gear Addict

Thanks all for your replies!

I've got lucky and was offered to buy an m63 from fellow gs'er uijui which I did and the machine arrived today

/p
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Head

Hi Delphino,

I posted a rare refurbished M63 preamp on eBay today, incase you're still interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18323794411...:L:LCA:US:1123

Have a great week!

-Rob Roy
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronaut View Post
Hi Delphino,

I posted a rare refurbished M63 preamp on eBay today, incase you're still interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18323794411...:L:LCA:US:1123

Have a great week!

-Rob Roy
This has me assuming that they are gone forever
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkins View Post
DPA 4011 mics into a Qes Labs SMP-2 and you get sonic heaven in a pocket.

Check out this piano shoot-out:
Stereo Tube Preamp: D.W. Fearn, Tube-Tech, QES Labs

after level matching the winner is easily QES Labs SMP-2
to my ears it makes the Fearn sound almost "thin"

since the Fearn might be the most highly regarded tube amp in the market this is comparison is very intriguing
this is quite an old thread and I am baffled to find so little posts about the QES Labs SMP-2
would love to hear more examples and opinions
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
after level matching the winner is easily QES Labs SMP-2
to my ears it makes the Fearn sound almost "thin"

since the Fearn might be the most highly regarded tube amp in the market this is comparison is very intriguing
this is quite an old thread and I am baffled to find so little posts about the QES Labs SMP-2
would love to hear more examples and opinions
That is one of the best preamps ever made man, but ur right, it made the Fearn sound small which is no easy task, unfortunately the owner, maker of Qes Labs gear passed away earlier this year, so as of now no one knows if his designs will be made ever again, if someone does, im getting a 2 channel preamp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search