The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Radar Studio & monitor/summing questions Monitor Controllers
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

Radar Studio & monitor/summing questions

Fellow slutz,
Not sure how many of you owners are out there, but I have a few questions to the Radar users that don't use a console in their setup.
After years of wanting a Radar system, I recently bought a Radar Studio, upgrading from an Akai DPS24. I realize that I have some additional pieces of equipment to add to allow me to use this new acquisition, as well as rethinking my workflow. The DPS24 is a great all in one unit, and I am having this feeling that it is hard to recreate the same type of setup without spending a ridiculous amount of money.
My main concern is with the monitoring. My recording into Radar is handled by an 8 channel preamp that was part of the package, so I don't need a monitoring unit with preamps. I have seen monitor controls that strictly have an input (or two) and monitor selections/talkback/etc, and others that include minimal summing ala a D-Box. I haven't seen too many options that would utilize the 24 ins and outs of the Radar and have monitoring as well. Any suggestions?
I have my eye on the Neve 5060, but would like to know if anyone is using one with a Radar. Anyone having success and would recommend the two together? Do you suggest a patchbay in the setup if no outboard effects are used?

Thank you for the help. Any info is appreciated.
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Addict

Great River MIx Master 20
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the MM20 but it seemed a bit more than I needed. Ended up going a little simpler by ordering a DIY-racked DR-2402 and a Drawmer MC2.1
Excited to hear how the DR sounds. Definitely looks interesting and specs out pretty damn awesome.
Old 23rd November 2016
I use a DAV passive summing amp and XLR patchbay for I/O to RADAR Studio; I monitor via a Sound Devices 702 and patch outboard for tracking/mixing. The DAV is 32-input on DSubs (currently 16 out of RADAR); I use BAE pre's for make-up gain and an Xpressor/702 on mixbus.

I'd like a mixer but don't want to compromise sound quality given my budget. In practice, with planning, I can achieve most mixer routings apart from panning mono sources (in RADAR mode); but I plan to build an 8-channel mini-mixer to do this. In RADAR mode I can loop tracks I/O and print outboard fx or stems before mixdown.
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Addict

Yes, very promising. Let us know how it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin One View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the MM20 but it seemed a bit more than I needed. Ended up going a little simpler by ordering a DIY-racked DR-2402 and a Drawmer MC2.1
Excited to hear how the DR sounds. Definitely looks interesting and specs out pretty damn awesome.
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I use a DAV passive summing amp and XLR patchbay for I/O to RADAR Studio; I monitor via a Sound Devices 702 and patch outboard for tracking/mixing. The DAV is 32-input on DSubs (currently 16 out of RADAR); I use BAE pre's for make-up gain and an Xpressor/702 on mixbus.

I'd like a mixer but don't want to compromise sound quality given my budget. In practice, with planning, I can achieve most mixer routings apart from panning mono sources (in RADAR mode); but I plan to build an 8-channel mini-mixer to do this. In RADAR mode I can loop tracks I/O and print outboard fx or stems before mixdown.
Arthur, I have read of your setup. Considered going your route but with a Burl B32. This still left me without a monitoring setup (and panning ability when in Radar mode) since I was not looking to record into yet another unit for mixdown. After checking a few different options, I decided that it would be a more streamlined setup to go with what I went with and have the flexibility available when I need it. I knew the Radar wasn't a 1:1 replacement of the DPS24 but I still wanted to have some of the workflow and control the previous recorder offered.

Thanks for the info
Old 23rd November 2016
Thanks. Just to add that my friend is using the Drawmer MC2.1 (via a Speck Lilo mixer) in his RADAR-equipped studio and he likes it...doesn't f#ck up the sound! I use a KRK Ergo (via S/PDIF from the 702).

Best wishes and enjoy the RADAR Studio; I'm a year in and no regrets. It took me a while to adapt to the analogue summing and outboard workflow but I'm so happy with the sound now...I never look at ads and think "I wonder if that would be better?"
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Indeed. Unfortunately I have been on the road so acquainting myself with the Radar has been limited, but the brief time I did get to check it out, I could immediately hear that box was on another level of what I had been using.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Addict

Today is my day to post to old Radar threads I guess.

When I first had a Radar, I had a Tonelux OTB16. Works great, sounds great, priced right. Very functional.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search