The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC scm20asl pro mk2 - actual user reviews?
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

I think in my experience I would classify the two like this... (and please keep in mind, these variations are SLIGHT compared to if you were comparing ATC to another speaker brand).

ATC 20mk II/ ATC 50 asl (with new tweeter) = Fast, Sharp, Crisp, defined, clear, tight, effortless headroom, brutal, revealing...top to bottom has the same clairty/speed. Low mids/low end actually FEEL lighter than the 45's (but in reality I think it's just less distortion because of the SL woofer).

ATC 25/45 = Warmer, thicker, rounder, more musically pleasing,....mids/top feel like they have more clarity/speed than the low mids/low end.

It's not that the 25s/45's don't have any of those qualities that the 20's/50's do, but it's just that the 20's/50's have MORE of it or excel more at them.

Again these are an exaggeration of the differences when comparing to each other (and just in my experience) so please don't take it out of context.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
I think in my experience I would classify the two like this... (and please keep in mind, these variations are SLIGHT compared to if you were comparing ATC to another speaker brand).

ATC 20mk II/ ATC 50 asl (with new tweeter) = Fast, Sharp, Crisp, defined, clear, tight, effortless headroom, brutal, revealing...top to bottom has the same clairty/speed. Low mids/low end actually FEEL lighter than the 45's (but in reality I think it's just less distortion because of the SL woofer).

ATC 25/45 = Warmer, thicker, rounder, more musically pleasing,....mids/top feel like they have more clarity/speed than the low mids/low end.

It's not that the 25s/45's don't have any of those qualities that the 20's/50's do, but it's just that the 20's/50's have MORE of it or excel more at them.

Again these are an exaggeration of the differences when comparing to each other (and just in my experience) so please don't take it out of context.
I'm super keen on these 20's. I'm on the Amphion 15's right now, which are awesome. Wondering if it'd be more of a lateral move/different flavor thing more than an "upgrade".
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Concur with spencerc's description. I've seen some commentators preferring the 25A/45A sound (in an almost insane way of "ATC finally built a great speaker. Why didn't they do this before?") which is diametrically opposite to my taste. The 20ASL, 50ASL-150ASL is one line of sound and now ATC has a slightly different second line of sound with the 25A/45A. (I don't know what the models below the 20ASL sound like and the 200ASL/300ASL really are strictly soffit speakers.)

Minor differences but at these price-points, it's worth knowing what you like. I would have never thought someone would choose the 45A over the 50ASL but that does seem to happen for some people. But in that vein, I wish ATC would build a 35ASL to fill the 20ASL to 50ASL gap: tweeter, mid from the 50ASL and up models; 7" SL woofer; tripack amps from the 50ASL, 35 liter cabinet; vertical orientation; priced US$10k. Would be great for multichannel systems and almost portable (well, one person could lift it which isn't possible with the 50ASL.)
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
I'm super keen on these 20's. I'm on the Amphion 15's right now, which are awesome. Wondering if it'd be more of a lateral move/different flavor thing more than an "upgrade".
I LOVE the Amphion One15's.

It would be a lateral move. They are different...One15's have more low end, more punch, more vibe while still being accurate. ATC's have more detail, are tighter/faster, but thinner low end, and less punch, less holographic image.

You'd be better to get big ATC's as a second reference in my opinion.

The One15's are probably my favourite small speaker ever built (for the money). Where I live they are about half the cost of the ATC 20mkII's so it's not exactly a fair comparison either.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Concur with spencerc's description. I've seen some commentators preferring the 25A/45A sound (in an almost insane way of "ATC finally built a great speaker. Why didn't they do this before?") which is diametrically opposite to my taste. The 20ASL, 50ASL-150ASL is one line of sound and now ATC has a slightly different second line of sound with the 25A/45A. (I don't know what the models below the 20ASL sound like and the 200ASL/300ASL really are strictly soffit speakers.)

Minor differences but at these price-points, it's worth knowing what you like. I would have never thought someone would choose the 45A over the 50ASL but that does seem to happen for some people. But in that vein, I wish ATC would build a 35ASL to fill the 20ASL to 50ASL gap: tweeter, mid from the 50ASL and up models; 7" SL woofer; tripack amps from the 50ASL, 35 liter cabinet; vertical orientation; priced US$10k. Would be great for multichannel systems and almost portable (well, one person could lift it which isn't possible with the 50ASL.)
100% agreed.

I can see why people like the 45's though - they are warmer, slower, more forgiving and are less brutal than the 50's are. They are more of a 'musicians speaker' than the 50's are (Again this is being extremely picky between the differences of 45 vs 50). But the 45's have that thick meaty low mid that makes people feel good and makes things 'bump' a bit more. The 50's are lean and fast and don't blow any smoke up your a$$ to make you think you're a better engineer than you are. They are actually probably the most brutal speaker I've ever worked with (in a great way)
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Well, add me to the list of SCM20ASL pro mkII fans. Actually, put me down as a SUPERFAN. I've been doing some pretty exhaustive high-end monitor shopping lately and really went through the gamut: ADAM (new S3H), Amphion, Focal, Barefoot, Kii, and ATC (20, 25a and 50).

I'm a longtime ADAM user and have really been impressed with the new S3H - it's more of what I like about them. Very detailed, great imaging, ridiculous power, etc. - but I've been itching for something more in the ATC ballpark; I had my heart set on SCM50ASLs with the new tweeter. In fact I just mastered a dream project on those at a friend's studio and loved them. However, I wondered if they would be too big for my room, and since I use a really good stereo sub rig for my scoring work, I was curious about the SCM20s since so many people have said they are very similar to the 50s but in a smaller box (and almost a third of the cost).

So, I'm borrowing a friend's pair of 20s for the weekend. After demo'ing all of the above brands & models, I find myself stunned at what I'm hearing out of these "little" ATCs - they are far and away my favorite out of everything I've heard. The resolution & detail, imaging, headroom, transient response... simply unreal! I can't believe what they're getting out of these things! I confess I've seen them in catalogs for several years and have always scoffed at the price... ($5500 for a small pair of nearfields?!? What are they smoking??) Well, now I regret having waited so long before giving them a fair shake. These things are revolutionary. I just ordered a pair.

If you're looking for that incredible ATC sound, don't think these are the lightweights of the line. Not only do they hold their own with the rest of the line (and then some!), they put many other monitors to shame.

Forgive the gushing - I'm just blown away and kinda mad at what I've been missing!

Cheers...
Old 2nd July 2017
i sold my 20s mkii for the 45s and not saying that im unhappy with the 45s but there is a certain tightness in the sound that was in the 20s especialy in the low end that i miss......saving up for the 20s :-)
Old 5th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
i sold my 20s mkii for the 45s and not saying that im unhappy with the 45s but there is a certain tightness in the sound that was in the 20s especialy in the low end that i miss......saving up for the 20s :-)
Really? are you going to sell the 45's or to keep both?
Old 5th July 2017
keep both :-)
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

ATC 50 (with the new tweeters) are definitely incredible. They are what you liked about the ATC 20mkII and the ATC45 combined into one magical speaker.

Honestly the most accurate speaker I've ever heard in my life. They won't make the room shake, but the detail is next level from top to bottom.
Old 6th July 2017
Quote:
ATC 50 (with the new tweeters) are definitely incredible. They are what you liked about the ATC 20mkII and the ATC45 combined into one magical speaker.

Honestly the most accurate speaker I've ever heard in my life. They won't make the room shake, but the detail is next level from top to bottom.
That's seriously my dream speaker! If only I had $$$ and a room that could handle them.
Old 6th July 2017
Quote:

My mouth is watering!!
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My mouth is watering!!
I've heard engineers overwhelmed with the amount of details provided by the 50s, thus preffering something a bit less analytical, like the 20s.

, Andrei.
Old 6th July 2017
so maybe the 20s are a good pair with the 45s?

Any users have both and can comment?

Thanks
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
I've heard engineers overwhelmed with the amount of details provided by the 50s, thus preffering something a bit less analytical, like the 20s.

, Andrei.
While I agree sometimes too much detail can be overwhelming (and I still need speakers like NS10's/Amphions to get a broad overview of the mix), I would say having the level of detail that the ATC 50's give you is EXTREMELY useful when you know what to do with it.

A doctor with an extremely sharp blade doesn't ensure a good surgery, but I sure as hell wouldn't want a doctor working on me with a dull scalpel...

Last edited by spencerc; 6th July 2017 at 09:50 PM..
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Yep, I can't imagine not having as much detail as possible in my monitor rig. I get that forensic-level detail can lead you down pointless rabbit holes, but on the other hand, you can't fix what you can't hear. ;-)
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

i received mine a few days ago. its like a new life. honestly those speakers are totally unreal. i came from k&H o300 and did not expect such a huge change.
Old 29th July 2017
Listening distance?

Curious what listening distance you are all sitting at with the 20's? (Length of triangle sides)?
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Edwards View Post
Curious what listening distance you are all sitting at with the 20's? (Length of triangle sides)?
When I had the 20s I had them 4.5' from my ears and 4.5' apart. I absolutely loved them, but ended up switching to the new ADAM S3H, which work even better for my room. Still, I'd use the 20s in a heartbeat - stunning monitors when a mix is right, especially with good subs!
Old 29th July 2017
The thing I love about ATC is that I don't really see them advertise that much.

Everybody who's looking for a high end pair already knows them and they don't have to convince you that there's are better than anyone else. Just mix on them and see for yourself.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear
Different professional standard expensive high end monitors present the audio in different ways - even if they are all meant to be close to ruler flat!

The ATC "presentation" of audio exactly matches my personal ideal of how I want a main reference monitor to sound.

I can't afford the ATC 25's but they would be perfect.

I closest I came to the ATC 25's on a budget was a pair of K&H 0300's.

The ATC 25's remain on my wish list
I think they absolutely stunning monitors!

I was actually at a famous private studio a few years back and the guy had a pair of AT 150's 3-way active monitors IIRC.

He was searching for a noise on a soloed kick and turned the big ATC up in volume the thud of my chest made me think I was actually going to throw my lunch up - just insane really - the most clear precise bass I've ever heard without the slightest hint of distortion it was literally breath taking!

Mind you at £14K for a pair - they should be pretty amazing.
Old 14th May 2018
Here for the gear

opinion-placement (thread partial hijack)

Hi,

I have a pair of old atc asl 20, and I'm about to start moving the room around. Any opinions on best distance? Right now I'm about a meter away.
So far it's seemed like I have a lot of latitude.

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Distance isn’t so much about the speakers themselves (although phase coherency is a part of it), but more about the speaker’s dispersion characteristic combined with the amount of reflections in your room.

Try things out. Speaker placement is always about finding the best compromise of a whole bunch of acoustic anomalies you’ll end up encountering...
Old 14th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Different professional standard expensive high end monitors present the audio in different ways - even if they are all meant to be close to ruler flat!

The ATC "presentation" of audio exactly matches my personal ideal of how I want a main reference monitor to sound.

I can't afford the ATC 25's but they would be perfect.

I closest I came to the ATC 25's on a budget was a pair of K&H 0300's.

The ATC 25's remain on my wish list
I think they absolutely stunning monitors!

I was actually at a famous private studio a few years back and the guy had a pair of AT 150's 3-way active monitors IIRC.

He was searching for a noise on a soloed kick and turned the big ATC up in volume the thud of my chest made me think I was actually going to throw my lunch up - just insane really - the most clear precise bass I've ever heard without the slightest hint of distortion it was literally breath taking!

Mind you at £14K for a pair - they should be pretty amazing.
I sold my 20mkii for a pair of 25's. My ears happen to like 20s more. the only thing i wish the 20's had was a tad more low end.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I sold my 20mkii for a pair of 25's. My ears happen to like 20s more. the only thing i wish the 20's had was a tad more low end.
Same here. I auditioned everything from the 50’s down to the 20’s (mkII) and with my stereo sub rig in my room, the 20’s won out. They are absolutely remarkable, especially for a 2-way!
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
Same here. I auditioned everything from the 50’s down to the 20’s (mkII) and with my stereo sub rig in my room, the 20’s won out. They are absolutely remarkable, especially for a 2-way!
What kind of Sub(s) were you running with the ATC 20s?
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone in the Canadian Maritimes have a pair of ATC 20's?
I really want to hear them...
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
What kind of Sub(s) were you running with the ATC 20s?
An NHT B20 system. They aren’t made anymore sadly, but I’ve used them for about 15 years - it’s a stellar system. Carl Tatz used to push them.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Couldn’t agree more with you. I sold 20s to buy 25s because I also missed some low end with the 20s. I really hated 25s and felt quite a remorse selling 20s. So saying that ATC line is consistent is simply not true. 20s sound much closer to 50s than 25s.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
So saying that ATC line is consistent is simply not true. 20s sound much closer to 50s than 25s.
It was true. With the intro of the 25 there is a different branch to their sound (the SCM25A and SCM45A). Strangely (shockingly!) there are some who prefer this character — I’m not one. So at least they have expanded their market.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search