The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Calrec limiters
Old 2nd November 2016
Lives for gear
Calrec limiters

I’m looking at buying some Calrec modules to go on the very end of my 2 bus chain. I’m basically after a brickwall style limiter in hardware to catch the last few db and peaks and these look like they can do the job for me

I have the option of 2 types of modules:

CL 1204-2 [incorporating AM6/17A]
CL 1170

From what I can gather, these are broadcast limiters and have a delay line built in so they can work as a ‘brickwall’ whereby the thereshold is triggered as if by a sidechain before the audio you actually hear is effected. Presumably to be the last thung in the chain before the transmitter.

I did however notice that the 1170 has a minimum 0.1ms attack time so it’s not exactly instant so maybe the 1204 is the better option for me.
Also, My tech and myself could only see the delay line in the 1204 so maybe that makes the decisions for me but I’m still interested in anything I may have noticed and whether people think they’re suitable for this job.

What are people’s experience with these modules?

Just for the record, I know this isn’t where people would usually go for colour but I don’t mind a bit of that

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd November 2016
I don't have the comp here but I have a console. They used noisy BC transistors. Use low noise Japanese transistors and the grit and hiss goes away.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Hi
The AM6/17 is a BBC designed and manufactured unit fitted into Calrec metalwork.
The same board set went into Neve, Audix and of course BBC metalwork modules of the same era.
The delay board works to ensure there are no transients that are too fast for the sidechain but I don't think they really class as 'brickwall'.
Matt S
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I don't have the comp here but I have a console. They used noisy BC transistors. Use low noise Japanese transistors and the grit and hiss goes away.
Jim,

You are overdoing this. Take it easy - most of those old designs are fine as-is, and we love them for what they are..

Jakob E.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Sorry Jim
But
They are not Germanium they are European Silicon but maybe you've been misguided
I own two Calrec Consoles the first
being a 16 X 4 channel is based on the 1161-45 mic pre has a pair of 1170's
The second 48 X 32 is based on the 1347-1 Mic/EQ channel.
Both are Ex BBC
As I'm now retired both consoles are available for sale soon

Kind Regards
Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Helios Electronics Ltd

Last edited by Arny; 17th May 2018 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search