The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Isolation for Focal SM9.. Sorbothane? Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 31st October 2016
Here for the gear

Acoustic Isolation for Focal SM9.. Sorbothane?

Hola Slutz! First off thank you for reading, I love this site. THANK YOU!

I am looking to stop some of the low end vibration as well as some of the rattling for of my outboard gear in my Argosy Desk that comes from my Focal SM9's on my desk (Massive Passive rattles like crazy).

I am possibly looking for Sorbothane boots or balls or squares if I have to, NOT SURE. I am not too keen on the look of the isoacustic stands and primacustic recoil stabilizers are 400 for the pair that fits. I previously had the primacustic recoil stabilizers and I really liked them. Now I have more low end with my Focal's and the previous primacustic recoil stabilizers do not fit... I do appreciate the speakers decoupled as I could greatly tell the difference.

So Sorbothane? What you guys think? Squares, Balls, I like the Boots but expensive. You think I put this under the rubber feet of the speakers? What size rating do you think? 77lbs each!

Here is what I am looking at...

Old 31st October 2016
Lives for gear

Your answer is separate stands. They shouldn't be on the desk anyway. You are getting immediate reflections off of the desk. There are stands that overhang a desk like the below (and 77 lbs is nothing to them.)
Old 31st October 2016
Shop - tritonaudio

This was a game changer for my monitoring.
Hope it helps
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Shop - tritonaudio

This was a game changer for my monitoring.
Hope it helps
They lift up to 8kg so it won’t fit the sm9.
Old 28th January 2018
It will, just put 5 per speaker. I had 4 per speaker on my trio’s and it was fine. Trust me these make a huge diff. Try them if you don’t like it just return them
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
They lift up to 8kg so it won’t fit the sm9.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
It will, just put 5 per speaker. I had 4 per speaker on my trio’s and it was fine. Trust me these make a huge diff. Try them if you don’t like it just return them
Ok thanks. The design seems great! 5 per speaker put them in the price category of the DMSD 60.

I actually have the recoil stabilizer. Will try the DMSD when I’ll demo some new speakers as my reseller have them for try.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sorbothane has worked well for me in many applications. It's not a miracle-worker, it won't reduce vibrations to 0%, but it helps knocks them way down, and is more affordable than acoustic isolator stands, or those TritonAudio NeoLev's (which do look cool!), etc.

Currently in my living room TV/home theater area, I'm using big heavy powered studio monitor speakers. At first they were sitting flat on wood stands, which were flat on the floor, so the bass/energy was easily transmitted into the typical residential wood-floor/joists/crawlspace. Just putting your feet on the floor you gauge the transmission, and it was very high! I put four appropriately-sized Sorbothane half-spheres under each speaker. It cut the vibration I would say 35-40%. I thought that was worth the $20 but I wanted more. So I added another four Sorbothane half-spheres under each wood speaker stand: so the speaker now sits on four sorbothane pads, on top of a wood stand sitting on another four sorbothane pads. 8 total per side. This cut it about 75-85% of the original vibration, very impressive actually. It's not perfect, but for the application (living room) $40 of Sorbothane did the trick, which would have only gotten me only one of the $40/each Triton NeoLev units.

Cheapest I could find was "IsolateIt!" brand on Amazon, I tried numerous scientific/industrial websites but couldn't find any advertised cheaper... around $20 an eight-pack for 1.25" hemispheres.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search