The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixbus EQ's 2016 !! Pultec ? Michelangelo ?
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

Loving the combo of Pultec eqh-2 and Soma

Matching the pultec is not plug and play but close enough for the benefits and the mojo

Pultecs replaced the curve bender recently no disrespect to the CB

Would love to test MA though heard great things
Old 7th January 2017
Here for the gear
I would honestly think you are already covered with a 5500 for pop/rock/edm stuff. It's forward, pushy profile should be ideal on the 2bus, no? The Michelangelo does compliment the 5500 perfectly though. Gives everything a warm, hummy bass and a roof-off airyness that rivals the Clariphonic, but the 5500 is pretty dead on for modern broad-brush EQ in my very humble opinion.
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Ive played with the Hendy but to be really honest the pultec /HG combo
is pretty gnarly.its like the ultimate tube mix buss...not really wanting for another tube eq.
Hey RoundBadge, can you compare the EQM-1S3 and the VT5 sound? I'm pretty familiar with the VT5, and I'm curious how they differ.

Why do you prefer the Pulse on your mix bus?

Also, it sounds from your previous posts like your mix bus is usually something like SHMC > EQM-1S3 > BB HG-2 ... is that right? (if so we seem to have a very similar taste in mix bus gear).
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrobins View Post
Hey RoundBadge, can you compare the EQM-1S3 and the VT5 sound? I'm pretty familiar with the VT5, and I'm curious how they differ.

Why do you prefer the Pulse on your mix bus?

Also, it sounds from your previous posts like your mix bus is usually something like SHMC > EQM-1S3 > BB HG-2 ... is that right? (if so we seem to have a very similar taste in mix bus gear).
I had VT 4's for a few years.they were lovely but the 2 db stepped gains kinda bugged me.
Pretty similar to pultecs curve wise but still a slightly different sonic signature.
but yeah they were pretty great.
The mastering pulse units I have have smaller steps and the 5 and 10 shelves are really cool.
Yes ..SH-pulse-HG2.
Pretty intense mix chain.
A little goes a long way.
I have a new custom QES Labs AD unit coming in a few weeks.Looking forward to comparing it to the burl bomber.
Old 28th January 2017
I've ended up buying a Bettermaker EQ 232P MKii Remote and I'm very happy with it !
It's a very deep processor with beautiful sound.
The MS encoder, the best sounding HPF I've ever heard and the automation abilities has been the deciding factors for me on this one..
Old 14th January 2018
SEED78
Anyone loving the Summit 200b for tracking and mix bus Pultec style?
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Anyone loving the Summit 200b for tracking and mix bus Pultec style?
I had one with mullards
No Pultec but pretty good.low end a little mushier less focused.
Not bad for the money
I think I paid 1800 for mine
I eventually went to Fern/pultec Land
Old 15th January 2018
SEED78
Quote:
I had one with mullards
No Pultec but pretty good.low end a little mushier less focused.
Not bad for the money
I think I paid 1800 for mine
I eventually went to Fern/pultec Land
Thanks for the feedback - they go pretty cheap in uk.

Think I from a old post of yours you much preferred the 2a3 as well as Fearn Pulse?
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Head

I'm debating whether it's a Hendyamps Michaelangelo or a IGS Rubber Bands (rackmount). From the demos, I'm in love with the mid range and air bands of the MA, and the saturation could be nice too. On the other hand, the Rubber Bands sounds to my ears really tight, and better in the bottom end.

God help me, I may need to get both. Any thoughts on the differences between those, or overlaps?
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Thanks for the feedback - they go pretty cheap in uk.

Think I from a old post of yours you much preferred the 2a3 as well as Fearn Pulse?
Still have retro and pulses
The ferns were real nice,wasn’t a big fan of large stepped gains though.
Old 15th January 2018
Using the Bettermaker for a year now I’m still very happy with it, it doesn’t have trannies and tubes and it’s not about passive tone coloration at all, its more of a linear precision mastering EQ that between the Pultec, Sontec, HPF and MS features can balance or even correct the tonal balance of a mix effortlessly.
Mine is paired with an ATS-1 on the mixbus for some tone and glue, great sounding combo
Old 15th January 2018
SEED78
Quote:
Still have retro and pulses
The ferns were real nice,wasn’t a big fan of large stepped gains though.
The Retros seem pretty special - I almost scored one this week but it fell through, was gutted.

Someone told me their Retro 2a3 had a larger noise floor than he liked. Ever had that issue?

Last edited by SEED78; 15th January 2018 at 12:12 PM..
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Color commentary: I'm finding the electrodyne 511 to be really sweet on two-bus for broad contouring.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
Color commentary: I'm finding the electrodyne 511 to be really sweet on two-bus for broad contouring.
They are monsters for this. The high and low shelving can come in very handy.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Which would you prefer for warm 70's tone console type tone on mixbus?: retro 2a3, Massive Passive, or Hendyamps/Kush combo (or Hendyamps combo with something else, ie: Great River EQ-2nv gets great reviews).

I currently have the Hendyamps MA, got a great deal on it secondhand, great tone but limited, and the overdriving warmth factor is slightly redundant to the more flexible tube gainstaging in my summit tpa-200a. Already have 2ch of neve style eq bundled in my stam neve clone, but want to complement hendyamps with something with something more precise yet still warm (ie: Kush electra and/or clari?, or GR eqnv?), or could sell hendy, skip kush, and go for a single piece of more expensive gear (ie: Manley or Retro 2a3). Does Manley have a bit of a 90's sound to it at this point? How does tone on the Retro compare to the Hendy? Thoughts overall?
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
Already have 2ch of neve style eq bundled in my stam neve clone, but want to complement hendyamps with something with something more precise yet still warm
Knif Soma
https://knifaudio.com/eqs/equalizers/
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

I've heard great things about the soma, but it costs as much as four kitchen sinks, an emu, and five medium sized bison. unfortunately, no way I can afford giving up that many bison.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
….no way I can afford giving up that many bison.
Have you checked out the Aurora Audio GT4-2? Not the easiest to set up (gain is not stepped), but that thing sounds sweet, and a little slow with those Tanner transformers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search