The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flea 47 vs Pearlman TM47 Condenser Microphones
Old 11th October 2016
Gear Addict

Flea 47 vs Pearlman TM47

Coming off the VK shootout these two mics seemed to stand out and also seem to be the most reasonably priced.

Until an opportunity to get both here side by side, does anybody have any direct experience of both? Some say the TM47 sounds less 47ish than the Flea, but some prefer it saying it has bigger lows/less sibilant.

Flea has a solid reputation, but DP is known for making great mics too.

Any thoughts?
Old 11th October 2016
How important is budget and how important is polar patterns? The pearlman is cardioid only, whereas the Flea offers two patterns cardioid and omnidirectional. The flea 48 offers figure and cardioid patterns. Also the pearlman is hand wired point to point as well like the old historic build.

If $ is tight, the pearlman will be around $2300 and the flea $3900 so $1600 could go to a lot of use elsewhere. If replica status quality is what you seek then the Flea will be your purchase. Make sure to verify your tube with flea. Also as to my search there appears to be two different Pearlman tm47 models aesthetically, I do not know if components differ links below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pear...&client=safari

The VK model looks amazing compared to the big badge silver one that reverb sells via Zen Pro. Can anyone verify component differences between the two tm47 models?
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

You should include the Bock 47 in your decision making! I haven't used the Pearlman but have used the Bock & the FleA.
Old 12th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
You should include the Bock 47 in your decision making! I haven't used the Pearlman but have used the Bock & the FleA.
The Bock 47 is stunning. Solidly my favourite 47 style mic other than an original vintage 47
Old 12th October 2016
I have no experience with Pearlman but I bought the Flea because I am in Europe and it makes more sense to me to buy the best local clone. I also picked up a Nordic NU47 which is wooden but sounds remarkably similar.
Obviously if boutique products are unique to a certain continent I have little choice unless I want to pay the import duties or risk sending away for servicing. Not a huge problem with a well made microphone though.
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

You guys might find this relevant:

Gear Review: InnerTUBE Audio U-4700 - Fugitive Sounds

Happy to field questions if you have them.

D.
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162 View Post
Coming off the VK shootout these two mics seemed to stand out and also seem to be the most reasonably priced.

Until an opportunity to get both here side by side, does anybody have any direct experience of both? Some say the TM47 sounds less 47ish than the Flea, but some prefer it saying it has bigger lows/less sibilant.

Flea has a solid reputation, but DP is known for making great mics too.

Any thoughts?
Never used the Flea. I'm sure its a great mic. We've had the Pearlman TM47 (its my daughter's mic) for about 1.5 years. Got it from Zen Pro. Its a great mic.

As happy as we are with the mic you never know if the grass is going to be greener on the other side. One day we got a chance to shoot the Pearlman out against a pro studio's vintage U48. Totally expected the Neumann to win the day - but we all (artist, producer and engineer) chose the Pearlman. After that shootout I kinda never looked back.

But...

Its all about how the mic matches up with the singer, the song and I think the preamp makes a big difference also. Two weeks ago we were tracking with the Pearlman and decided to give my old Avantone CV-12 (a$500 mic with a Chinese lineage and a Russian tube) a shot. On that song, on that day, the Avantone won out.

I think all the mic's in the VK Shoot out (for sure including the Pearlman) will get you there. The differences were very subtle. My guess is you could get 10 singers on 10 different songs - all those mics would be great but different mics would emerge as THE BEST on different singers.

Here's my thread from when I was trying to decide which U47 clone to go with (some good info there): U47 Clones (Wunder, Bock, Pearlman, FLEA)
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Addict

Many thanks Doug,

Which tube did you get in yours? the 6SJ7 or a telefunken EF12/14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Never used the Flea. I'm sure its a great mic. We've had the Pearlman TM47 (its my daughter's mic) for about 1.5 years. Got it from Zen Pro. Its a great mic.

As happy as we are with the mic you never know if the grass is going to be greener on the other side. One day we got a chance to shoot the Pearlman out against a pro studio's vintage U48. Totally expected the Neumann to win the day - but we all (artist, producer and engineer) chose the Pearlman. After that shootout I kinda never looked back.

But...

Its all about how the mic matches up with the singer, the song and I think the preamp makes a big difference also. Two weeks ago we were tracking with the Pearlman and decided to give my old Avantone CV-12 (a$500 mic with a Chinese lineage and a Russian tube) a shot. On that song, on that day, the Avantone won out.

I think all the mic's in the VK Shoot out (for sure including the Pearlman) will get you there. The differences were very subtle. My guess is you could get 10 singers on 10 different songs - all those mics would be great but different mics would emerge as THE BEST on different singers.

Here's my thread from when I was trying to decide which U47 clone to go with (some good info there): U47 Clones (Wunder, Bock, Pearlman, FLEA)
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many thanks Doug,

Which tube did you get in yours? the 6SJ7 or a telefunken EF12/14?
The standard - 6SJ7
Old 19th October 2016
So what actually makes the tm47 different from the peluso 2247 besides the capsule?
How different is Pearlman's capsule to Peluso? ( aside from cardioid vs multi pattern )

Pearlman assembles his own capsule and has vids on YT, what about Peluso, does his machine them or just assemble?

.. the 6sj7 comes in the peluso 2247 also is standard on tm47...

I have been lusting after a Pearlman ( love the sound and the VK pic is sexy ) but I obviously need to do more research.. I don't like Peluso 2247 and would not like to have a Pearlmanized version so to speak ( not saying that's what a tm47 is). The audio between the two, I have heard is different, however I have not seen a direct comparison, which is why I'm asking about the capsule...

the Eric heiserman capsule in the Innertube Audio u4700 is looking great at this point, plus multi pattern for about $500 more than tm47...

I know people love their Pearlman's, and the tm47 has received a great amount of praise...
@ DougS does your Pearlman tm47 look like this
Attached Thumbnails
Flea 47 vs Pearlman TM47-img_2171.jpg  
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Nut
I just got a Flea vintage 47! Which to me sounds the way I always thought a 47 would sound! I had a older peluso 2247 LE for many years. It was a great mic but it did lack quite a bit of fullness and warmth compared to the Flea. The Flea is expensive but so worth it! I feel like I am not nickel and dimeing myself anymore! Satisfied!
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
So what actually makes the tm47 different from the peluso 2247 ?

I know the tm1 uses/ used peluso capsules at a point as well as the same tube... that 6sj7 comes in the peluso 2247 also is standard on tm47...at this point it boils down to the capsule...how different is pearlmans capsule to peluso?

I have been lusting after a Pearlman ( love the VK pic so sexy ) but I obviously need to do more research... the Eric heiserman inner tube u4700 is looking great at this point plus multi pattern for $500 more than tm47...

@ DougS do your pearlman look like this
Don't know the differences vs the Peluso. Other than, like you said, the capsule is made by Pearlman. And, of course the capsule is a very big part of the sound.

Mine is not gold. Its silver. Not sure if its true, but I was told that none of the TM47s are actually gold and that the gold tint is just lighting. Mine has the larger logo.

I don't have any good pics of it. You can see (and hear it) it in this video with my daughter

Old 19th October 2016
@ DougS thank you for you time.. I have watched a few of your vids before... You have a very talented family and your daughter can sing very well. That's a shame Vintage King played photoshop to get more sales.. I would be mad if I ordered from VK unknowingly and then a silver tm47 showed up, when I wanted/ expected the other.

That's like seeing a pic of a gold watch ( I was going to say Rolex; they would not do ads in that manner ) that you order and nowhere in the description it says it's really sterling silver... You order it and receive a sterling silver watch
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

I actually just shoot out a flea next 47 against the tm47. Will try and post clips. Both sound great and have that classic 47 sound. The pearlman sounds a hair more modern. Let me see if I can find clips.

Btw I don't know if the flea next sounds exactly like the multi-pattern one. Some say they are same and some say they are different.
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Addict

Thanks MREVOL

Which tube was in the TM-47....the stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
I actually just shoot out a flea next 47 against the tm47. Will try and post clips. Both sound great and have that classic 47 sound. The pearlman sounds a hair more modern. Let me see if I can find clips.

Btw I don't know if the flea next sounds exactly like the multi-pattern one. Some say they are same and some say they are different.
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

I actually had one stock and one telefunken. I will try and post clips of the shootout session.
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Maniac

I have never heard the Flea but I can tell you that I am very happy with my TM-47.
I got one with an EF12 tube in it and I love it.
The build is definitely quality and the sound just works for what I need it for.
I ordered mine before they were in stores. I called Dave up and talked to him and told him what I was looking for in a mic and a couple days later I got mine and haven't looked back. I'd give Dave a call, he's a pleasure to talk to and a wealth of knowledge.
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Ok so here's the two test I did real quick and wasn't planning on posting cause I don't want to hear crap about how there different takes/level matched etc…… This was only for myself.

The singing is a little bad and that's because I hate taking up other people's time when their helping me shootout gear, so I basically gave them a take or two.

All tracks were through an LTD-1

Mics were
Pearlman tm47 with tele or stock (none tele)
Pearlman tm1 (old one that is mine that I love and has beat out three tm1's)
Flea Next
Neumann M149

NO EQ NO COMPRESSION.
Attached Files

!Lil 47 none.wav (1.97 MB, 7335 views)

!Lil 47 tele.wav (1.97 MB, 7195 views)

!Lil 149.wav (1.97 MB, 6956 views)

!Lil flea.wav (1.97 MB, 7286 views)

!Lil tm1.wav (1.97 MB, 7063 views)

Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Here's the male rocker test. No Judging
Attached Files

!Vc 149.wav (3.50 MB, 7362 views)

!Vc Flea.wav (3.50 MB, 7685 views)

!Vc Tm1.wav (3.50 MB, 7475 views)

!Vc tm47 none.wav (3.50 MB, 7688 views)

!Vc tm47.wav (3.50 MB, 7640 views)

Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Ok my assessment. I already owned the m149 along with the tm1 and was searching to see if there's something a little better out there for me.

I love my tm1 and have owned for years. Has served me well. I actually shoot it out against two other's and people were floored on how much smoother and detailed mine is. Maybe because it's an early model but I don't know. Just lucky.

M149: This is a love/hate for me. I always pick my tm1 over it because I find the m149 a little thin and spiky at times. Does have great detail and I agree with others that say it's very natural. I have been using on drums and it's amazing there. Still think about selling it tho because of the money I could put towards something else. Very curious of a u87. I see a lot of people use those and I wish to a/b against the m149.

Flea NExt: This was brand new from VK. I really liked the weight and smoothness but maybe a little dark for me. Don't know if burn in time would change that because I wanted to really love it for all the reviews I read on GS. I do hear the vintage 47 vibe tho all over it and will say it's very smooth on the transients.

Pearlman 47: This mic surprised me. Has the 47 vibe but a little modern-ness on the top. The tube change (stock and tele) really make a big difference. I ended up keeping this mic because of price and just has a great combination of what I love about the other mics. Has the big 47 mids but not as dark as the flea. Also has a little more openness to it like the m149 but not as plastic.

I also tried a Pearlman 250 at the time. Sounded amazing on acoustic but on vocals it just wasn't for me. More of a 47 vibe guy.

OF COURSE THIS IS ALL MY EARS and I would love to hear more opinions now that I posted clips.
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Addict

Hey MREVOL

Thanks for doing this. In the second set of clips can you please clarify which TM47 sample is the tele tube?

Also which tele is it....EF12/EF14?

Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey MREVOL

Thanks for doing this. In the second set of clips can you please clarify which TM47 sample is the tele tube?

Also which tele is it....EF12/EF14?

Thanks
EF12. The 2nd set, there's one marked "none" which is none tele and one not marked is tele
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

A lot of listens already. Would love to get some opinions on the mics.
Old 22nd October 2016
@ MREVOL Ok seem like different takes, so disregarding that I prefer the Pearlman with ef12, the ef12 brings out your emotion in your voice; that or your girl just broke up with you before the pearlman ef12 take

The stock tube in pearlman is ehhhh... just like the peluso 2247 sounds with that tube... idk maybe the takes are influencing my choices as well... the tm1 sounds gorgeous and full where as the stock tube is flatter or more modern sounding. Tm1 and stock tm47 sound very close with me actually preferring them tm1 for the mid presence...

Flea does sound very nice but I agree a little dark for this particular take, however I imagine the flea to take eq very well and you could sculpt it to exactly what you want from the capture.

Otherwise you seem most comfortable on your tm47 with tele and tm1 and this reflects in the vocal recordings. Thanks for doing this.... I still want to hear inertube audio u4700 against pearlman with ef12 and flea with ef12...
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hesitant to post because I don't have much to report. First - Thank you for posting these samples.

Listening on mediocre computer speakers the Flea, TM47s and TM1 are all pretty close. Very hard to tell if the differences are due to the mic or the singing difference take-to-take. However, I can definitely hear that the M149 is thinner. I would have expected it to have more detail but I don't hear much more detail in the M149.

I'll try listening again later - on my studio monitors and headphones.

Thanks again!
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Addict

U47 clones

I made 2 albums with the pearlman...I am more than willing to make 2 with the Flea. As a side note I have made several with the U47 and Vf14 tube and even Some with the FET version.

All of these mics sound good and should work for most applications...

After that it is just a matter of fitting which mic you think will work best for the song/album.

Have fun with them all...it is kind of your job.
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

I also shot out a Flea 47 (not the next, the multi pattern one), a Pearlman TM47 and my old TM1. The Flea was good but too dark, also strangely small sounding. The TM47 had bolder highs and lows. None of them really sounded like the real 47 that I tried (in great shape) months earlier. That thing was impossibly large sounding and very strong.

Also tried the EF14 and EF12 in the TM47. If you want the urgency and size of a VF14 the EF14 might be closer, but the EF12 is smoother. I went with the EF12.
Old 24th October 2016
Thanks so much for posting! Never had a chance to try a Flea but it is darker than expected. Have used the Pearlman TM1 and with the upgraded tube, it's right there with their 47. All these postings really help us in spending our tight dollars and sometimes don't have access to trying out the the real thing! This really helped us decide.
Old 24th October 2016
Gear Nut

Would anyone happen to have acoustic or electric guitar clips recorded with one of these mics?
Old 26th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for doing this Mrevol. Listening on a couple of different speakers and accounting for levels my preference is for the TM47 with the Tele tube again. It has a little extra fairy dust over the stock tube. The Pearlman with this configuration just sounds bigger, more 3D (in an almost Bock 407 type way) than the Flea. Could be just my preference for a the K47 style capsule in the Pearlman over an M7. Most of the vintage 47's ive heard have had K47's. Now I gotta hear an EF-14 in that TM47 for a bit of extra hair and weight

Not sure whats going on with the Flea's lately. They sound perfectly fine in isolation but a little underwhelming and even small compared to some of the other 47 clones. Maybe its the recent tube change.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search