The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flea 47 vs Pearlman TM47 Condenser Microphones
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

I have a Flea 47 Vintage. I would not call the mic dark at all. I thought my old Soundelux E47 was much darker than my Flea.
Old 26th October 2016
A Thiersch blue line m7 might be a nice addition for a Flea Vintage 47... I agree with @ davehall6162 , Flea using the AG ef12er has changed the sound of the mic. Also, how is a pro audio company just going to change an important component like that and not say anything... Then when called to the rug, they back tracked and changed the story after saying the tubes are the same, to admitting the difference, and then finally changing the website description...

That's was really weird, I am blaming it on the language barrier, because people praise Flea so highly regarding sound quality and customer service...

Also, a Neumann k 47/49, in a flea, or a pearlman if he would do wire the multi pattern capabilities would be just the ticket for someone looking for that more alive u47 sound... IDK , I am very tempted to make another frankenmic like the one I'm using currently with great results

I did see a pearlman tm 1 on eBay with a Neumann capsule, so I know Dave Pearlman has done them before
Old 26th October 2016
Gear Maniac
Would love to see Pearlman TM-47 with Cardioid + Omni pattern. Wonder what cost difference would be.

I preferred the Pearlman TM-47 as well. Thanks much MREVOL!
Old 27th October 2016
Gear Addict

My Flea 47 (F7/EF12) is not dark either though I wouldn't want it any brighter.
Not sure what the deal is with Flea fitting different tubes unless the NOS EF12's are rapidly drying up as they seem to have become the preferred alternative for U47 style clones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I have a Flea 47 Vintage. I would not call the mic dark at all. I thought my old Soundelux E47 was much darker than my Flea.
Old 27th October 2016
We did a studio shootout with the current Flea and Pearlman 47 and they're both excellent mics but felt the Pearlman had a "livelier" top end. The Flea was a little darker, still sounds great! Decided to drop our "47 only" obsession and go in a different direction with a Blue Stage 2, Siemans NOS valve and VD47 from Violet. The price was about the same with current discounted Rocket 2. Very close to the Pearlman TM47 but an obvious compromise. With unlimited funds, we keep them all!
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
Would love to see Pearlman TM-47 with Cardioid + Omni pattern. Wonder what cost difference would be.

I preferred the Pearlman TM-47 as well. Thanks much MREVOL!
Can this be added afterwards?
Old 29th December 2016
AB3
Lives for gear

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Can this be added afterwards?
You would have to ask Dave Pearlman, I suspect.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
You would have to ask Dave Pearlman, I suspect.
Thanks, that's what everyone's been saying. Sounds like a solid guy. Don't think I'll be needing Omni anytime soon
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if the tm47 head basket is historically accurate, or did Dave need to change it in order for it to be legal?
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know if the tm47 head basket is historically accurate, or did Dave need to change it in order for it to be legal?
The TM-47 is the only mic in the line that has a "historically accurate" headbasket.
Well, close anyway, although it doesn't have the pattern switch oval.

The legality problem of headbaskets seems a bit overrated to me.
In any case, these are all over the place.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
The TM-47 is the only mic in the line that has a "historically accurate" headbasket.
Well, close anyway, although it doesn't have the pattern switch oval.

The legality problem of headbaskets seems a bit overrated to me.
In any case, these are all over the place.
Beautiful mic sound wise, not to knock Dave. There

Last edited by IkennaFuNkEn; 20th March 2017 at 04:28 AM..
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

I'd call or mail Dave.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

I think I've become obsessed with the tm47. Has anyone dropped a Neumann k47 in there yet? I'm using a ef12 tele too. Sounds good on everyone. Would love to hear how it sounds with an ef14
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I've become obsessed with the tm47. Has anyone dropped a Neumann k47 in there yet? I'm using a ef12 tele too. Sounds good on everyone. Would love to hear how it sounds with an ef14
I had an EF14 in mine for a while. It came with it, it was huge but too hairy and aggressive. I prefer the EF12, its prettier and smoother. More useful overall.
Old 20th March 2017
Can't go wrong with a Pearlman. I used a Flea 47 for a session just one time, and it wasn't what I expected. Granted it sounded great, but maybe a bit thinner than I would like a 47 to be. That being said, I've used a U48 that had a similar characteristic. (Tubes maybe?)

Never had a chance to use a Pearlman 47, but I don't ever see myself parting ways with my TM1. It also helps that Dave Pearlman is the coolest and nicest guy I've ever met that is involved in gear manufacturing. I always thought he should be charging way more his mics.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search