The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which converter next to Burl B32? Digital Converters
Old 4th October 2016
  #1
Gear Nut
Which converter next to Burl B32?

Hello everybody,

I will be buying a burl 32 and I need to expand my outputs for my small otb setup, right now I've got only a rosetta 800.
I don't have much outboard so I will be set with 16 channels.
Budget up to 4-5 k at the most
What would you guys recommend me?
Old 4th October 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Burl Mothership 16 and 2 BDA8 cards (used). Or start with one card and expand later.
Old 5th October 2016
  #3
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Burl Mothership 16 and 2 BDA8 cards (used). Or start with one card and expand later.
Do you mean adding them to Rosetta 800 so to have 16 out 8 in? This setup would be actually fine for me.

Although, I'm not sure if Rosetta is still valid compared to new generation converters, and in this case it would be the only AD both for recording and the mix bus. I’m not really sure this is the best option I have.

Along the same path I could buy the mothership 16 with 8 DA- 4 AD that still would do it with rosetta 800 (total 16da - 12in) for a bit more then 5k (so expensive).

Another option would be to get the B2 for stereo recording and mix buss and any other converter with 8 more DA (or both AD-DA).

Another point I would like to stress is that I’ll been working with the upcoming MacBook Pro (thunderbolt), so I’d rather not to have pci involved (my Rosetta is firewire).

Any further thought?
Old 5th October 2016
  #4
Gear Addict
 

speaking from experience

I had a tough time getting the rosetta and the burl to "talk to each other"

I went 100% burl and haven't looked back. If you want to go burl I recommend you sell the apogee and but it towards the burl. You will be glad you did.
Old 5th October 2016
  #5
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
I had a tough time getting the rosetta and the burl to "talk to each other"

I went 100% burl and haven't looked back. If you want to go burl I recommend you sell the apogee and but it towards the burl. You will be glad you did.
Thanks for your advice, although I'm afraid that would be too expensive! 16/8 is more then 8k, and I guess I'd rather spend the extra money to implement some more outboard...but I will think about it.

Any other option...maybe with the Burl b2?
Old 6th October 2016
  #6
Gear Nut
Hey Guys, is the mothership noisy? Does it need to stay far from listening point or indeed in a machine room (which of course I don't have) for somebody who very suffers noises while mixing?

About this mothership thing, I'm starting getting voices inside my head....Dudu du du dudu du du-du (Police)
Old 6th October 2016
  #7
Gear Maniac
Antelope Orion 32/32+ is the most affordable way to use all 32 channels of the Vancouver.

The Symphony MKII with 32x32 would be the next price jump from that.

Then the full blown Mothership rig would be the sluttiest choice.
Old 7th October 2016
  #8
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceames View Post
Antelope Orion 32/32+ is the most affordable way to use all 32 channels of the Vancouver.

The Symphony MKII with 32x32 would be the next price jump from that.

Then the full blown Mothership rig would be the sluttiest choice.

Hi, thanks for you advice,

I'm at this point considering 2 possibilities:

1) Orion-b32-b2
2) b80-b32-b80 with 16da 8ad

Which one would you choose?

In the setup with Orion how do the computer-Orion-b2 get connected? What about the clock? Not really confident about this stuff. Would the system be reliable 100%?
Old 7th October 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroiul View Post
Hi, thanks for you advice,

I'm at this point considering 2 possibilities:

1) Orion-b32-b2
2) b80-b32-b80 with 16da 8ad

Which one would you choose?

In the setup with Orion how do the computer-Orion-b2 get connected? What about the clock? Not really confident about this stuff. Would the system be reliable 100%?
I assume that if you were using the Orion as your primary interface, you would use Thunderbolt(32+) or USB2(32/32+). Then, if interfacing that with The B80, you would want the MADI version of the Mothership (BMB2) to connect to the Orion.

For your option #2 , you could look at the Dante version of the Mothership (BMB3), which of course would interface directly with your computer via ethernet.
Old 7th October 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceames View Post
Antelope Orion 32/32+ is the most affordable way to use all 32 channels of the Vancouver.

The Symphony MKII with 32x32 would be the next price jump from that.

Then the full blown Mothership rig would be the sluttiest choice.
Then the merging Horus is the sluttiest of the sluttiest options out.
Old 10th October 2016
  #11
Gear Nut
Can anyone answer to this question I wrote few days ago:

is the mothership noisy? Does it need to stay far from listening point or indeed in a machine room (which of course I don't have) for somebody who very suffers noises while mixing?
Old 10th October 2016
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Got 12in 16out with zero noise issue here
Old 10th October 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
s_sibs's Avatar
 

I just purchased a Ferrofish A32 for the studio recently. 32 in and out over MADI along with 24 channels of ADAT if you need. It sounds great to me. I'm using it for 24 channels of summing with 2 Folcrom summing mixers. I'm using the ADAT i/os right now as I'm saving for a MADI interface.

Just wanted to throw the Ferrofish option out there for 32 i/o.
Old 11th October 2016
  #14
Some motherships have a fan in the power supply, some don't. If it does you can disconnect it. Silent.

If you ever go with madi the SPL Madison is incredible! I have a mothership, forssell, and previously Mytek. I never worry about if I am using the Madison over the Burls etc.
Old 12th October 2016
  #15
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post
Some motherships have a fan in the power supply, some don't. If it does you can disconnect it. Silent.

If you ever go with madi the SPL Madison is incredible! I have a mothership, forssell, and previously Mytek. I never worry about if I am using the Madison over the Burls etc.
Is it safe to disconnect it???
Old 12th October 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post
Some motherships have a fan in the power supply, some don't. If it does you can disconnect it. Silent.

If you ever go with madi the SPL Madison is incredible! I have a mothership, forssell, and previously Mytek. I never worry about if I am using the Madison over the Burls etc.
Ive been curious about the madison, that whole 36 volt rails has my wanting to hear when the DA sounds like.
Old 12th October 2016
  #17
I was told it is. It might even be in the manual but I might be mistaken.

As for the Madison, I gush about it all the time on here ha ha. I just think it is one of the most underrated pieces of gear out there. I imagine it being limited to madi only was a big part of that.
Old 12th October 2016
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroiul View Post
Can anyone answer to this question I wrote few days ago:

is the mothership noisy? Does it need to stay far from listening point or indeed in a machine room (which of course I don't have) for somebody who very suffers noises while mixing?
I have never heard noise from mine, but it's not fully loaded which may have something to do with it?

You can adjust/disconnect the fan and the manual discusses this from what I recall.
Old 12th October 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Mine is fully loaded and no fan noise. About a year old
Old 12th October 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Mine is silent as well. 4 cards in it.
Old 19th February 2017
  #21
Gear Nut
At the end, I decided to go for the mothership.

Thanks for everybody who helped me making this decision
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump