The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best summing mixer for a high end DAW?
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Best summing mixer for a high end DAW?

I have a list but I'm still lost.. what's the current fave amongst the slutz (yes yes outside of a vintage console and the old 'just use nice pre-amps' argument...)

Manley 16x2
Neve 8816
API 8200
Chandler Mini Mixer
Phoenix N16
Aurora Audio GTM822
[insert additional units if required]

16 channels required - doesn't have to have a fancy control section, just add lots of warmth / clarity on that final mix down..
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd add Dangerous 2-Buss to the equation and also look at various 2-buss compressors for the "flavor" aspect you're talking about.

Then there's also the SSL X-Logic stuff. I can't help but add.... why NOT go for a console? Even the new Toft board? Or a used smal ormat console like a Trident TriMix, etc?

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 26th February 2007
I like the API 8200,but on the 7800 I bypass the fader as it chokes the sound.

I just use the pre fader send and plug it in to the 2track heh ,sounds much better to me.
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I'd add Dangerous 2-Buss to the equation and also look at various 2-buss compressors for the "flavor" aspect you're talking about.

Then there's also the SSL X-Logic stuff. I can't help but add.... why NOT go for a console? Even the new Toft board? Or a used smal ormat console like a Trident TriMix, etc?

-a

You are correct - it's just a question of just how 'good' is that Toft. I mean are we talking the same quality as a trident 80c?

I should have added that I'd planned on having a 16-24 ch desk to use for live / mixing (the toft might fit in there) but then the summer for the back end of the DAW.
Old 26th February 2007
Solid State Logic

All depends on the "flavour" you're after...

"colour" and "clarity" are often 2 different things.

I choose not to blatently plug my own product here tutt
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Nut

Great unit the N16

Not on your list is the:

Audient Sumo, only 8 channel though.

Dangerous Music DM-2 Bus - 16 Channel (possibly the best bang for the buck)
http://www.dangerousmusic.com/2bus.html

SPL MixDream XP - cascadable, 16-in-2 analog mixer

Last edited by tdoranpalmer; 26th February 2007 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muso View Post
You are correct - it's just a question of just how 'good' is that Toft. I mean are we talking the same quality as a trident 80c?

I should have added that I'd planned on having a 16-24 ch desk to use for live / mixing (the toft might fit in there) but then the summer for the back end of the DAW.
No, it's not an 80c, but then the Neve summer isn't a "Neve" per se either or the SSL a 4000, 9000 or otherwise... we'd all love that kind of miracle, but it just isn't so. Sorry.

For that reason, I still suggest the Dangerous 2-Buss, which, in my opinion is the purist path and most "big console center-section" out there and then apply various 2-buss comps for your flavor.

A Dangerous-2buss with a vintage SSL G384 would sound killer... or a Pendulum 6386 or Neve 33609... you catch my drift.

-a

Old 26th February 2007
You should definitely add the SSL XRack solution with the "4 input" modules. You've got panning, level, and total recall on every channel. Plus the unit sounds amazing and is less expensive than many might think. Add a G Series compressor to that equation and you've got a hell of a 2-Bus solution.
Old 26th February 2007
Quote:
lots of warmth / clarity on that final mix down..

If it doesn't sound like this before it hits your summing mixer you are in for a big disappointment.
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Guru

Tonelux..the more I use it,the more i love itthumbsup thumbsup

Nicerizer-nice sounding box.[watch out for quality control and future company stability though...my stereo width knob came DOA] .. sold mine.
Chandler.cool for effect,but to much transient rounding darkening of whole mix...
have an old Neve for that.
Tried the API[sounded good,but nothing even close to an original 3288]
Manley [weird low mid bump ]didn't do it for me.gave it back after a 2 week demo
The dangerous 2 bus was just plain boring for rock mixing.no flavor to speak of.

I'm not a big Trident 80 fan,but the Toft looks really good for the money and the reviews are pretty positive.
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all the pointers. I will certainly check out the Dangerous but the Toft seems to be winning a lot of general votes right now as far as an general input stage is concerned (although I'm still interested to hear about people who prefer Oram's Trident variation and the Dream Series). I unfortunately (and some will not like me for this) am not a fan of the SSL G series having used one extensively (more specifically in regards to the bottom end although the top was certainly 'clean'). J Series apparently is a different ball game so I'd rather know any summing mixer resembled that..
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Everytime I look at dumping the console I ask my self this first which could I work on?
FOR ME I couldn't go with a summing solution I WANT PAN AND LEVEL! and I realy really want would like some recall and an aux and a modular splution would b best for me!

So Far I lke the neve and the tonelux but neither i perfect for me and the layout of the SSL just wasnt comfortable
For me no solution has been perfect and at this point Ive got 48 inputs at mixed down so I keep thinking. maybe I should just sed some inuts and a mster section to Jim Williams and maybe fin a deal on automation and be happy!
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

I had a Dangerous box for awhile but sent it back. It had no sound character at all, which in all fairness was intentional. Since then, got the Nicerizer 16 and love it. It came with one bad input, but that was fixed handily and it's been working fine. I'm not sure you can even get them anymore, though.

-R
Old 27th February 2007
Where on the list is the Folcrom with a kick ass preamp on the output?
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post

That's a good combo and let's not forget the "Inward Connections", pricey but great. Had a hands on.........
Old 27th February 2007
Quote:
I unfortunately (and some will not like me for this) am not a fan of the SSL G series having used one extensively (more specifically in regards to the bottom end although the top was certainly 'clean'). J Series apparently is a different ball game so I'd rather know any summing mixer resembled that..
The XRack is a SuperAnalogue design and is based off of the J & K series consoles not the 4000 G/G+. The G Series compressor is a separate piece and I was simply recommending that as a 2-bus compressor for the mix.
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

The inner tube audio "sum thang" looks cool... http://mercenaryaudio.com/inauatsu.html

The folcrom is pretty versatile, just switch pre-amps for a different feel.

The toft sounds like a cool idea too.
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Addict

I'm liking the Speck Xsum. And it does have pan and level.
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Addict

Jerome,

How would you describe the sound of the x.sum, or what it did to your mixes?
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Nothing but good words for the Neve 8816. I own one and I love it!!! It's very expandable and has an excellent tone!
Old 27th February 2007
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
No, it's not an 80c, but then the Neve summer isn't a "Neve" per se either or the SSL a 4000, 9000 or otherwise... we'd all love that kind of miracle, but it just isn't so. Sorry.

For that reason, I still suggest the Dangerous 2-Buss, which, in my opinion is the purist path and most "big console center-section" out there and then apply various 2-buss comps for your flavor.

A Dangerous-2buss with a vintage SSL G384 would sound killer... or a Pendulum 6386 or Neve 33609... you catch my drift.

-a

Actually, the XRack is the same circuit design as a 9000. All SuperAnalogue. heh
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
miles and miles of clean, clear headroom
I'd describe the XSum the same way. There's a breakout box too so you can use an alternate preamp for makeup gain(like the Folcrom), but I haven't found myself wanting a different sound just yet.
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

So are there many people out there that will use a desk for the input to the DAW but still sum with a different unit? I can't think of reason to do this apart from imparting a different tonal quality or the desk itself isn't up to it (else we'd be going back into the console for the mixdown)?

For those with experience of the SSL (I believe 16x input channels works out about £5K) is it really that good? A said I was never a fan of the G-Series - I suppose it wasn't coloured enough for me..!

I'm currently of the opinon to dump our D8B (good start huh..) and get an ATB or Trident, and see where we're at after that..
Old 27th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjerome View Post
I'd describe the XSum the same way. There's a breakout box too so you can use an alternate preamp for makeup gain(like the Folcrom), but I haven't found myself wanting a different sound just yet.
wow! i didnt know it was that cool.

i've used an Xtramix a lot for summing and it KICKS ASS over ITB.. even with ****ty digi 001 D/A its better... drums sound like they have transients again.
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't tried or heard all on your list but most (not the manley or aurora audio) but my favorites are in order.

1. SPL mixdream
2. Dangerous 2-Bus
3. Pheonix N16
4. Shadow Hills Equinox

And I need to go through a Fulcrom with some extremely high-headroom preamps to form my final opinion on it.

Quote:

Manley 16x2
Neve 8816
API 8200
Chandler Mini Mixer
Phoenix N16
Aurora Audio GTM822
[insert additional units if required]
Old 28th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Some where on Ebay or the for sale classifieds.
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Neve 8816

incredible!!!!

done and done

so glad I have it.
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Actually, the XRack is the same circuit design as a 9000. All SuperAnalogue. heh
This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off... are you REALLY going to lead people to believe that it's the "same" as a 9000?

So, there's no difference between 16 channels going through each module of a 9000 into the center section and the XRack?

"...same circuit design..." Come on man, you're better than that, better than slight of hand, slight of words.

-a
Old 28th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Some where on Ebay or the for sale classifieds.

Harsh...what you're implying by saying that isn't true.

Maybe RMS should build one with an active gain stage on the output, then it will be 'acceptable'.
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Addict

That does sound harsh, though I've never heard it. Is the Folcrom really that bad? Right now I don't have two channels worth sending a mix through, but I've been looking at either the Folcrom + pre or the x.sum

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search