The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coil audio 286/CA70 Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd October 2016
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Coil audio 286/CA70

Does anyone have some user feedback
About the coil audio mic pre's?
The 286 and the CA70's?
Old 3rd October 2016
  #2
Gear Addict
I've only heard samples ,next on my buy list
The ca 70 I know is based on the Gates sa70 pre I've heard a vocal done by a friend on the ca70 it was most awesome , but was told the 286 was a little more versatile for most sources
Old 3rd October 2016
  #3
Gear Addict
 
SHIRK's Avatar
Here's a nice walkthrough where the owner/designer dials in a bunch of channels of Coil on drums out at Mike Mogis' ARC studios. I'm really intrigued by those CA-70's

https://youtu.be/2XE0dtkGgfo
Old 22nd February 2017
  #4
Gear Head
 

Anyone using these things yet? They look pretty rad but there's not much user feedback about them.
Old 22nd February 2017
  #5
Gear Nut
 

these are the best mic pre i have heard,
killer!!!!!
very 3D. these guys know what they are doing.
Old 23rd February 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
I bought the CA-70 PS2 (2 channel pre) and am VERY happy with the results. I've been using them primarily with my T-Funk M260 tube mics (drum overheads). I'm getting a fairly fat, warm tone. It took me a little bit of knob tweeking to get a sound I was satisfied with, but that's part of the beauty of this pre - there are many options. Upon the recommendation of Jim at Coil I sprung for the CT-110HN (High Nickel) transformers.

I haven't tried this yet, but I will use it on my 2 bus to add xtra color (colour) in "line input" mode.

You can expect pretty support from the owner btw
Old 23rd February 2017
  #7
Using them a lot here...

The CA-70 is super cool, very dense and weighty, super super punchy with a very interesting "dynamic" action when transients get loud. It has built in compression to it, it sounds absolutely magical to me. Its girthy and fat. The CA-286 has more mid range presence and air to it. Not as girthy but still solid and thick with harmonics. When I patch my 44 into the CA-286, it shoots so much wind up my skirt I had to screw it into the rack.
Old 23rd February 2017
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The CA-70 is super cool, very dense and weighty, super super punchy with a very interesting "dynamic" action when transients get loud. It has built in compression to it, it sounds absolutely magical to me. Its girthy and fat. The CA-286 has more mid range presence and air to it. Not as girthy but still solid and thick with harmonics. When I patch my 44 into the CA-286, it shoots so much wind up my skirt I had to screw it into the rack.
I just went on your Facebook and it seems like they keep making units with less channels and undercutting the prices of the chassis system. Is there a difference or any logical reason for this?
Old 23rd February 2017
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjharris View Post
I just went on your Facebook and it seems like they keep making units with less channels and undercutting the prices of the chassis system. Is there a difference or any logical reason for this?
I dont suspect it'll undercut the PS2 and PS6 racks, but I hear you. This is just intended to be a less expensive option for people who dont want to get into the modular racks.
Old 23rd February 2017
  #10
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I dont suspect it'll undercut the PS2 and PS6 racks, but I hear you. This is just intended to be a less expensive option for people who dont want to get into the modular racks.
So the power will be exactly the same?
Old 23rd February 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
The CA-286 PS2 is most likely gonna be my next acquisition. These are just too nice not to have more of.
Old 24th February 2017
  #12
Gear Head
 

So if I just bought the rack it's super simple to pull out and put in the preamps right?
Old 24th February 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjharris View Post
So if I just bought the rack it's super simple to pull out and put in the preamps right?
It appears so. The transformers pull out with ease as well. It's recommended that the power is off when doing this.
Old 24th February 2017
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
It appears so. The transformers pull out with ease as well. It's recommended that the power is off when doing this.
because you will cause damage if you do that when its on.
Old 24th February 2017
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjharris View Post
So the power will be exactly the same?
The CA-70SE will have fixed transformers, 1 less mic pad position. Stepped NF and no high-frequency filter. Otherwise the same as the PS2/PS6 modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjharris View Post
So if I just bought the rack it's super simple to pull out and put in the preamps right?
Yea, provided you follow the power up and power down sequence with the PS6 rack. There is some very high-voltages going on inside these.
Old 24th February 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Yea, provided you follow the power up and power down sequence with the PS6 rack. There is some very high-voltages going on inside these.
With my CA-70 PS2 the sequence is - turn the top switch on first (6.3V), wait 30 seconds to 1 min., then turn the bottom switch up (300V). Use the reverse sequence upon shut down.
Old 24th February 2017
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
With my CA-70 PS2 the sequence is - turn the top switch on first (6.3V), wait 30 seconds to 1 min., then turn the bottom switch up (300V). Use the reverse sequence upon shut down.
yup
Coil Audio launch sequence
we have liftoff
Old 31st March 2017
  #18
Here for the gear
 
coilaudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjharris View Post
I just went on your Facebook and it seems like they keep making units with less channels and undercutting the prices of the chassis system. Is there a difference or any logical reason for this?
We created the single channel units for engineers and musicians not looking for multiple channels, or the extra features on our PS2/6 systems.

The only functional difference will be one less mic pad position, no hi freq roll off, and no swappable transformers. Identical build otherwise, carbon resistors, vintage caps and tubes, PEC pots, etc. They'll come stock with our Hi Nickel input and peerless output transformers, low nickel inputs on request. These will definitely be a lot easier for us to manufacture, thus the lower price.

As far as power, the single channels will use our new discrete low current B+ supply designed by Rick Chin of Uneeda Audio and RTZ. He also designed our 48V phantom supply…

The power supply we use for our PS2/6 system is a large linear regulated supply that is very cost prohibitive when used to power a single channel. It will actually power around 20 modules. It's definitely overkill, but it's the only serious HV supply around that met our specs. We don't use poo poo switch mode stuff or voltage doublers. We need the regulation and stiffness of the linear design to keep things transient and punchy.

After Rick killed it on our 48v, we invoked his genius again to come up with a discrete, low current, linear regulated supply that would allow us to start releasing single channel modules with out breaking the bank, and without compromising the sound or quality. The CA286SE will come out shortly after the CA70SE. We also have a tube hi/lo EQ we're hoping to have out in the fall. Real inductor based tube eq, ala Klangfilm/KlienHummelUE-100/Cinema Engineering7080 circuits; Not passive eq with tube makeup. Currently dialing in the low end inductor…

Oh, and yeah, you can easily pull out the PS6 modules to change tubes and transformers, etc. You can plug modules and transformers with the power on, but i don't recommend it…it will make terrible noises.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
We had a pair on loan for a while a couple years ago now. I thought the pres were totally amazing. However we didn't buy them because we didn't need any more mic pres so take that as you will.

I still think I made my favorite recording of our grand piano with a pair of KM253 through Coil CA-70, straight to PT.
Old 4th April 2017
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by coilaudio View Post

Oh, and yeah, you can easily pull out the PS6 modules to change tubes and transformers, etc. You can plug modules and transformers with the power on, but i don't recommend it…it will make terrible noises.
Old 5th April 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coilaudio View Post
We created the single channel units for engineers and musicians not looking for multiple channels, or the extra features on our PS2/6 systems.

The only functional difference will be one less mic pad position, no hi freq roll off, and no swappable transformers. Identical build otherwise, carbon resistors, vintage caps and tubes, PEC pots, etc. They'll come stock with our Hi Nickel input and peerless output transformers, low nickel inputs on request. These will definitely be a lot easier for us to manufacture, thus the lower price.

As far as power, the single channels will use our new discrete low current B+ supply designed by Rick Chin of Uneeda Audio and RTZ. He also designed our 48V phantom supply…

The power supply we use for our PS2/6 system is a large linear regulated supply that is very cost prohibitive when used to power a single channel. It will actually power around 20 modules. It's definitely overkill, but it's the only serious HV supply around that met our specs. We don't use poo poo switch mode stuff or voltage doublers. We need the regulation and stiffness of the linear design to keep things transient and punchy.

After Rick killed it on our 48v, we invoked his genius again to come up with a discrete, low current, linear regulated supply that would allow us to start releasing single channel modules with out breaking the bank, and without compromising the sound or quality. The CA286SE will come out shortly after the CA70SE. We also have a tube hi/lo EQ we're hoping to have out in the fall. Real inductor based tube eq, ala Klangfilm/KlienHummelUE-100/Cinema Engineering7080 circuits; Not passive eq with tube makeup. Currently dialing in the low end inductor…

Oh, and yeah, you can easily pull out the PS6 modules to change tubes and transformers, etc. You can plug modules and transformers with the power on, but i don't recommend it…it will make terrible noises.
Small world, I just bought an original Langevin 5206 power supply off Rick for my old Langevin 12x3 tube console console. I wanted an original to match the rest of the console. Took five years for me to find one. Just happened to ask on the Ampex forum and Rick helped me out!

Nice gear you build there. I highly recommended tube gear all the time. For transient rich sources like drums and piano they are a must have IMHO.

My console is with Ken McKim right now being modded.

Looking for an Ampex 300-3 or Presto 825 three track right now to pair her with.
Attached Thumbnails
Coil audio 286/CA70-155eb8be-a938-4cc5-8aaa-43f166e869f8.jpg  
Old 5th April 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
I'd be very interested in your high and low band EQ you are working on. Only channels 1 & 2 on my console have Langevin 251 based EQ's. I'd love to incorporate high and low EQ on each channel. Hopefully only drilling two holes to mount them. I'd hate to have to try and cut in more of the Langevin/Electrodyne 251 style EQ's in there even if I could find them.

Please let me know if you could sell any raw modules once the are developed.

Would you build in tube gain makeup since they are passive? Just curious.

Silvertone Mastering
Old 6th April 2017
  #23
The CA-70 is soooo thick sounding....so beeeefy....so punchy and phat!

I was using it with my InnerTube Audio U-4700 last night and feeling the chunk and harmonic juice hit me in the chest like cupids love arrow
Old 21st May 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
I bought the CA-70 PS2 (2 channel pre) and am VERY happy with the results. I've been using them primarily with my T-Funk M260 tube mics (drum overheads). I'm getting a fairly fat, warm tone. It took me a little bit of knob tweeking to get a sound I was satisfied with, but that's part of the beauty of this pre - there are many options. Upon the recommendation of Jim at Coil I sprung for the CT-110HN (High Nickel) transformers.

I haven't tried this yet, but I will use it on my 2 bus to add xtra color (colour) in "line input" mode.

You can expect pretty support from the owner btw
Any chance you could post some raw clips of just the m260's going through the ca70 on drums?

These are my main OH mics and I'm looking for a tube pre for them. Coil is high on the list

Thanks
Old 20th August 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
We had a pair on loan for a while a couple years ago now. I thought the pres were totally amazing. However we didn't buy them because we didn't need any more mic pres so take that as you will.

I still think I made my favorite recording of our grand piano with a pair of KM253 through Coil CA-70, straight to PT.
Marc,
Did you used ca70´s or 286´s?
Old 20th August 2017
  #26
JAT
Lives for gear
Great pres, 'nuff said.
Old 20th August 2017
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The CA-70 is soooo thick sounding....so beeeefy....so punchy and phat!

I was using it with my InnerTube Audio U-4700 last night and feeling the chunk and harmonic juice hit me in the chest like cupids love arrow
Great!!!
So if you have to choice a pair do you suggest to bring the 70's or the 286's?
Old 21st August 2017
  #28
They are the best pres I have heard in a while. I'd like phantom power but I can work round it.
Old 21st August 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
They are the best pres I have heard in a while. I'd like phantom power but I can work round it.
Hi Paul.
Have you heard the ca70´s or the ca286´s?
Old 21st August 2017
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Hi Paul.
Have you heard the ca70´s or the ca286´s?
I have a 2 rack pair of the ca70 version.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump