The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL XL Mixers/setup question? Consoles
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Nut

SSL XL Mixers/setup question?

So im getting my space together as you can tell from my other threads
Im a little stuck/confused on which way to go
what i want to do is process all my sounds in the analog domain perform a mix and print everything back with ease...
I will feel at ease with 32 tracks (24 is cutting it but i could make it work)
with different eq/comps I was set on going with 2x SSL XL desk
(i was looking at the API 1608 + API 1608 Expander but it cost i believe over 20k more) i really love the busing on the SSL and i many do Hip Hop/Pop music
the issue is effects and automation

How would i go about doing vocal efx rides and throws on this mixer to have the modern and creative efx progressions like many of today's new age stuff?

Because i know i can print the stems of the tracks back to daw .. than add all my efx and automation in the daw but that will take away from my favorite feature of the XL desk.. the busing < And i would ratter save the cash and spend it on better 19inch Rack gear(Including 500 series)

I should note that i also have an SSL Sigma that i need to send to SSL for repairs (ebay burn me again) Im thinking i could connect the sigma to what ever i want automated but that just seems so confusing on how all that works and yeah i just dont know if i want to go threw the hassle
Im not interested in other mixers with out a 500 penthouse as i really like the idea of having so many different options right in front of me with faders so its this or a mastering type of setup with Rack gear

Thanks again

The main purpose for this space will be great workflow
If you have any other suggestions for a workflow setup i would love to hear
Thanks again

My gear so far -
32 out Apogee mk1
RME raydat
Hedd 192
Neve/Summit mpe200
event opals plus others
Master Buss Comp coming in the mail <<I cant wait to get it <<
and i just got a pair of E27's

Last edited by [email protected]; 2nd October 2016 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: title edited by MOD
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear
Huh? A mastering setup doesn't have faders or buses, so it's the complete opposite of what you say you want. I'm not sure what you're asking for exactly. You'll still get many analog benefits even if you move things to a DAW later. Maybe you should learn your Sigma because it can automate any console.

Creating a goofy workflow to accommodate summing of effects is overrated if you've already built a mix on analog.

Analog summing is not the end all of good mixes.

For example, just about every single live concert now happens on a digital console. Some sound good, some sound bad. Why? For the answer, look between the console and the chair. It's not the summing...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search