The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon PCM-60 Algorithm Pedigree Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Lexicon PCM-60 Algorithm Pedigree

I've searched quite a bit on this topic but can't get a straight answer where the room, inverse room (v2), and plate algorithms originated from. It would seem by dating that they came from either the 224xl, or the Model 200, or both (as the 200 never had a 'room' algorithm so to speak). I'm curious as I use to work quite a lot with the 200, and really loved it's sound. I recently acquired a 60, and hear some of the 200 tonality in there.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

From my understanding these Algos in the PCM-60 are indeed dumbed down 224/XL Plate and Room presets with the Inverse coming into play as you must remember that Lexicon were running parallel products etc.

So a 224
Became a 224/X
Then a spin of came as the 200
Then 224/XL
Then PCM-60 (which lasted near 14 months before the PCM-70 was released if you search my posts on Lexi gear it should be all their)
So really Inverse and Room 2 were released to placate owners whom bought a PCM-60 and saw a PCM-70 selling $1500 more as much 12 months later.
The PCM-60-70 share many internal spaces, really optional programming was added with Algos in the PCM-70 etc. Though again, do remember the 60 has the send/Return loop so a PCM 41/42 or Primetime MKII M95 etc could get those 200/M sounds. As much as I love the 200 like a Super Prime Time their extended CPU control can and does lead to many junked units so be careful. The 60 has I understand even DDL lines in the Algos though it's very subtle as those Lexicon FDN networks involved maximum voodo for minimal CPU output, still Z80 though dumb Lexichip programming etc. Really sticking to Plate and Room from version 1.00 is best, inverse and room 2 are nothing to write home about. Though does the PCM-60 have closer 224/XL heratige - Simply Yes!

Enjoy a great unit as good examples are very hard to find,but hey are also 100/110-20/220/240 fuse designed so total win win worldwide, you just need a new 3AG fuse half the rating for 240V when it's set to 120V etc. Often 100 Volt units were Japanese specific and lack RFI and other 2nd, 3rd fusing which are 5x20 mm fuses etc.
Enjoy that unit, once opening up the Plate (A CD Density 224 type) oh man they sound Huge!

Regards,
TheLastByte
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Enjoy a great unit as good examples are very hard to find,but hey are also 100/110-20/220/240 fuse designed so total win win worldwide, you just need a new 3AG fuse half the rating for 240V when it's set to 120V etc. Often 100 Volt units were Japanese specific and lack RFI and other 2nd, 3rd fusing which are 5x20 mm fuses etc.
Enjoy that unit, once opening up the Plate (A CD Density 224 type) oh man they sound Huge!

Regards,
TheLastByte
According to Ohm's Law I think that for 120V you would need a fuse DOUBLE the rating of the 240V fuse.

See this picture from the PCM-60 manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Lexicon PCM-60 Algorithm Pedigree-pcm-60-fuse.jpg  
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
From my understanding these Algos in the PCM-60 are indeed dumbed down 224/XL Plate and Room presets with the Inverse coming into play as you must remember that Lexicon were running parallel products etc.

So a 224
Became a 224/X
Then a spin of came as the 200
Then 224/XL
Then PCM-60 (which lasted near 14 months before the PCM-70 was released if you search my posts on Lexi gear it should be all their)
So really Inverse and Room 2 were released to placate owners whom bought a PCM-60 and saw a PCM-70 selling $1500 more as much 12 months later.
The PCM-60-70 share many internal spaces, really optional programming was added with Algos in the PCM-70 etc. Though again, do remember the 60 has the send/Return loop so a PCM 41/42 or Primetime MKII M95 etc could get those 200/M sounds. As much as I love the 200 like a Super Prime Time their extended CPU control can and does lead to many junked units so be careful. The 60 has I understand even DDL lines in the Algos though it's very subtle as those Lexicon FDN networks involved maximum voodo for minimal CPU output, still Z80 though dumb Lexichip programming etc. Really sticking to Plate and Room from version 1.00 is best, inverse and room 2 are nothing to write home about. Though does the PCM-60 have closer 224/XL heratige - Simply Yes!

Regards,
TheLastByte
Thanks for the info. So you believe all of the algo's (Plate, Inverse, Room, and Room2) came from the 224(x/xl)?

Last edited by turnstile; 30th September 2016 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 7th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
According to Ohm's Law I think that for 120V you would need a fuse DOUBLE the rating of the 240V fuse.

See this picture from the PCM-60 manual:
Well spotted....shame you needed a manual? Any 120Volt fuse is almost always half at 240Volts!
I was just answering a question quickly, So one Amp 3AG (American Gauge) fuse.
So then
0.500 milliamperes at 120 Volts
0.250 milliamperes at 240 Volts
100 Volts can differ as many countries use 50/60Hz from Mexico to Japan!
That's why Korg and Roland, and Hard bound Lexicon or Eventide will state
100 Volt no 2nd/3rd fusing at 5x20 mill fusing. These by the way will stay at the power rail voltage and usually do not change for region! Unless triple fused though usually the hard Power Trafo makes it not required etc!
One Half - @ 120V = 240V
Exactly
Ohms law and all!
Though...ho hum?
Man.....you must love the minutia though I agree a silly typo!
Enjoy....!
Old 7th October 2016
Lives for gear

I did not need a manual myself.
I just added that manual information as a service for "dummies".
Just in case....
Old 7th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
Thanks for the info. So you believe all of the algo's (Plate, Inverse, Room, and Room2) came from the 224(x/xl)?
Yes - PCM-60 is Room Plate on 224/XL
PCM-60 Room is Reverberation on 224/XL
That means, it's part of the smaller Room/Chamber type Reverberation that the 224/480/L up to version 3 held. Naturally with the PCM-60 being older then a 480/L, yeah. 224/X /XL.

PCM-70 Chamber / Rich would come close with internal modulation, see SeanbCostello from Valhalla DSP and his comments plenty of 200 reverberation from the 224/X/XL as well though with added delays. The PCM-60 was built with an FX send and Return loop for Primetime Fx and Delays, see the manual it states so, or ask SP2016 he's got a manual handy!

Cheers
TLB
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

does that mean the 60 sounds diff than 70? supposedly only the concert hall algo has the chorusing modulation of the 224 on the 70, what about the 60?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search