The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bryston 4BST Pro vs Home Studio Amplifiers
Old 30th September 2016
Here for the gear

Bryston 4BST Pro vs Home

Howdy, folks. New member here, hope someone can help clarify something.

I have two Bryston 4BST amps, one is the 'Pro' with adjustable gain pots and 19" faceplate with handles. The second is a 'regular' home model with the 16" (I think) faceplate and no handles.

I only really need one of them so I'm trying to figure out which one to keep. It has been suggested that the 'home' version may produce the better sound because it lacks the adjustable gain, therefore has a simpler signal path. Would there be any validity to that viewpoint?

Can one of you good for weigh in on this and settle it for me so I know what to do?

Thanks in advance!
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

The only real difference other than the packaging between equivalent revision Bryston home and pro amps is the addition of balanced inputs, to the best of my knowledge. I don't think the gain pots cause any degradation in the audio path.
Old 30th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
The only real difference other than the packaging between equivalent revision Bryston home and pro amps is the addition of balanced inputs, to the best of my knowledge. I don't think the gain pots cause any degradation in the audio path.
Actually, each type has both - both Pro and Consumer/Home have both RCA and XLR inputs. Just curious to see if anyone has had experience with an A/B comparison between the two, to comment on which is the better, or if there's no audible difference at all.
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Addict

I owned the 4B-ST PRO (19") and 4B-SST² (17"). With the latter I missed the practical aspects of having 19" handles and adjustable inputs. To me these features win over that 0,1% difference in sound. It is true that an extra pot in the signal path degrades the sound slightly, but this is really negligible. The pots are hi-end audiophile ones and very sensitive. What would bother me more is a misaligned amp in terms of level; something you can rectify with the pro version but not with the 17" one. In your case I'd say to compare them side by side on a good pair of monitors, perhaps one of them is indeed better sounding, which would be more of an age/usage thing (caps degrade). You might want to consider warranty too (which amp is older?) but the direct A/B comparisson really should be sufficient. Typical for an ST is slightly forward mids and hi freq roll off. Compare these aspects between them and let us know. Check them also for noise level and ON/Off switching clicks or pops. Cheers!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search