The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The mysterious C451E/EB 10dB pad.. Needed on snare? Condenser Microphones
Old 27th September 2016
Gear Nut

The mysterious C451E/EB 10dB pad.. Needed on snare?

Looking to pick up a vintage 451 for snare duty (blending it in with a 57), but I can't seem to find any with the screw-on 10dB pad included. Anyone know if they were sold separately or where to find them now? Perhaps some DIY is in order?

Also, anyone had any luck on snare without the 10dB pad? I'm only concerned that the mic body electronics would be overloaded as i can easily pad the preamp.

Gracias for your help, amigos.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

I got a vintage 451 and if it's not a soft drummer, it will clip anywhere near the snare. The pads can be found regularly on german/austrian ebay. Last time I saw one it cost something like a bit under 100 euros. There are -10 and (rare) even 1-20dB pads. IF it clips it still sounds okay, but you won't have much of a transient left.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

My experience with the 451eb agrees with frans. A snare, not even hit hard, is too loud for the mic without the pad.

I imagine a DIY pad from a circuit point of view would be reasonably straightforward, but how you'd reliably connect that circuit between capsule and pre would be the hard part.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

Somebody like Stewart Taverner from xaudia.com can make interconnections and stuff for vintage mics*, so if you know how to machine a piece of metal, get the tools, etc.etc...(days, weeks and months and a considerable sum of money later)... you could also take the short and cheap route and buy them used.
*but he never did pads for a 451, as far as I know
Old 27th September 2016
Gear Nut

Ebay Austria FTW! Found both the 10 and 20 dB'ers in a matter of seconds. You guys rock.

Assuming I can get one of these bad boys shipped to the states, would you guys go for the 10 dB or the 20? Typically track indie rock drummers but nobody is slamming TOO hard.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

Just buy 2x 10 dB pad's ! You can screw these together.
(Inside the pad is only one capacitor...)

In that case you have both options.
Old 27th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Just buy 2x 10 dB pad's ! You can screw these together.
(Inside the pad is only one capacitor...)

In that case you have both options.
Ha! Genius.

Added bonus - I'll have two 10's for when I eventually end up with a pair of 451's anyway...
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

If I had to choose, it'd be the 20dB pad. Assuming you've got a mic pre that will do plenty of gain without being too noisy you shouldn't find yourself in a situation where you can't acceptably mic up a snare.

Two 10 dB pads is a good suggestion.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Black View Post
Ha! Genius.

Added bonus - I'll have two 10's for when I eventually end up with a pair of 451's anyway...
Clever thinking !!!
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

In the rare case the seller doesn't want to ship to the US, I can help.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Black View Post
Ebay Austria FTW! Found both the 10 and 20 dB'ers in a matter of seconds. You guys rock.
Probably it is 'Wavemeister'? Bought a CK5 capsule and a -10db pad there not too long ago. He also sells through the store at wavemeister.net. (If you're buying from non-EU countries without VAT) Great and fast service, highly recommended.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search