The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!

I'm in the process of planning out a studio room/space in our new home. Meanwhile, most of my gear is impatiently awaiting music making.

This thread is a little different than most "show me your studio" threads on GS in that these are not "actual" studio pictures, but rather, virtual renders (or representations) of a studio space.

THE GEAR PICTURES ARE REAL and set in this virtual studio space.

It's a HIGH END HYBRID studio, built as an extra large control room with a sizeable separate vocal / drum room. I'm also setting up a killer hig-end, vintage side-car DSD recording rig in my family room (see last pic).

As far as gear, a very nice analog front end, along with PCM and DSD recording capabilities, great instruments & amps, and of course, great VIBE!

Prior to physically setting up my racks in their space, I set them up virtually with actual pictures. This way, no heavy lifting is required and I can easily make changes.

I'll render the gear & room pictures on my computer, review later on my iPad, make notes, then revise, rinse & repeat until I feel it has all come together.

I'd like to share these (still in process) virtual renders of the our studio space.

Special thanks goes to the 2 Google Images musicians you see in the pictures

I'm sure many of you have gone through a similar visualization process, are currently doing so, or will do so in the future.

So, with that said, SHOW ME YOUR GEAR & STUDIO RENDERS!

Attached Thumbnails
Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!-cr-11_rack-8a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!-cr-11_rack-9a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!-cr-11_rack-9aa.jpg   Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!-cr-11_rack-10a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!-cr-11_rack-10aa.jpg  

Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!-cr-11_rack-11a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio "RENDERS" !!!-cr-11_rack-12a.jpg  

Last edited by string6theory; 13th October 2016 at 08:03 AM..
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Maniac

When can I move in? Looks great! Do you know how it's going to be treated acoustically?
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear
Is that really going to be your view from the desk - or is that just some clip art?
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szorn View Post
When can I move in? Looks great! Do you know how it's going to be treated acoustically?
isn't it clear from the pictures? with gear obviously! for that perfectly diffused sound
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Hahah, is that what they mean by acoustic treatment being an expensive endeavour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
isn't it clear from the pictures? with gear obviously! for that perfectly diffused sound
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, I know, I want to just move in myself! Thanks!

It will all be treated of course, probably with a combo of DIY traps, panels & diffusers, etc. Once the space is constructed, I'll be hiring an expert to fine tune.

Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Is that really going to be your view from the desk - or is that just some clip art?
Great question!

Short answer is it's a "png" image.

Here's the low down...

Ive been using the cropped equipment face plate pics for a long time. These are simply cropped pics of the manufacturer's product shots. I've always used them in Excel along with color-coded grids to visually show how all my equipment is connected. I've maintained this file for years and it's extremely useful.

I decided to take all these face plate pics and put them in the actual studio setting I'm building. Again, as a great visual tool, which allows me to play around with layouts. It's all still in Excel, but now I've added the rest of my gear, along with walls, floors, windows, desks, lighting, shading, etc.

The key is finding good PNG images. I'm planning to put an arch window in front of my desk, as the view is very good. This window will likely be the biggest challenge of the whole space. Good png window images are difficult to find, and an arch is even harder. In the end, the actual window I install will probably look different (it will be more solid with at least dual panes), but will still be an arch..

While windows can potentially create isolation issues, it's definitely a trade off I'll need to work out, as I also want the light and view to make the studio space more enjoyable.

Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hahah, is that what they mean by acoustic treatment being an expensive endeavour!
Ain't that the truth!

Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

I love the first one with the view.

By the way String6 what state are you in?

Looks like Nevada Palm Springs or something.

Digging your journey man.

Cheers
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I love the first one with the view.

By the way String6 what state are you in?

Looks like Nevada Palm Springs or something.

Digging your journey man.

Cheers
Cheers nicknack, I missed this one...

Cali in the valley, nice view of the Santa Monica Mountains. If you flew south over those hills, you'd hit the Pacific Ocean, somewhere between Santa Monica & Malibu.

Hey, thanks man, appreciate it!

This music stuff is cool eh!

Old 12th October 2016
Gear Addict

Studio Renderings

You can't see it yet but the rendering of my studio looks a lot like Capital A, complete with echo chamber. I think I am going to render in a neve 8088 somewhere as well. Oooh the renderings of my mic locker are to die for...
Old 17th October 2016
Lives for gear

Hey, I take that as a complement, thank you!

My humble, high-end hybrid home studio gear resembles that remark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred80r View Post
You can't see it yet but the rendering of my studio looks a lot like Capital A, complete with echo chamber. I think I am going to render in a neve 8088 somewhere as well. Oooh the renderings of my mic locker are to die for...
Old 17th October 2016
Lives for gear

Strange that a mod just up and inappropriately moved this thread from the High End, where I correctly posted it, to the "Studio building / acoustics" sub forum - even though this thread is about my updated, High End hybrid home studio RACK GEAR & DESK setups & layouts.

It's just actual High End GEAR displayed in virtual RACKS & DESKS in a virtual space for visualization.

This thread isn't about "building" a studio.

So, perhaps it may be moved back where I originally posted it, in the High End?

< thanks pardner! >

BTW, the new High End STUDIO RACKS (I.e. the attached, virtually displayed RACKS with ACTUAL PICTURES OF MY STUDIO RACK GEAR ) are being custom built at Sterling Modular to have adjustable slanting capabilities through a wide range. Based on the Versa-II 1-bays in African Rosewood. Should be very cool!

This means when High End GEAR is being moved in and out of the new High End RACKS, they can be positioned straight up. Then, when in use, they can be re-slanted to my preferred 25 degree angle for a much more ergonomically sound setup.

THREAD RECAP:

It's a High End STUDIO RACK & DESK GEAR THREAD rendered-in-virtual-racks-on-virtual-desks-and-walls-to-reflect-a-virtual-space THREAD SUB-CONTEXT!

I though that was so clear!

Old 19th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Have you implimented this in your studio yet? Would be cool to see "in person".
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you implimented this in your studio yet? Would be cool to see "in person".
Cheers. Well, things in general are progressing slowly as I'm dealing with chronic injuries & disability. But, I've made progress in the FR setup, which has been my recent focus - as I need to have a room to play & record music in or I'll go nuts. But, it's actually expanded quite a bit gear setup-wise from the OP picture (the last one with the big white brick mantel/fireplace).

Also, my 6 (beautifully cherry-stained Hickory wood) custom racks for the main CR were completed late last year, by the amazing Joel Abott of AudioRaxx. He took over the project after Sterling Modular wasn't able to make any progress (on any level) after over 8 months! And, their president (Rick Lawrence) was the one managing it. Joel had everything specified, materials sourced and CAD-designed/rendered in 3 days! Then he went to work building them. And they are miles better than the SM ones would have been, plus they're adjustable, meaning they can be straightened when loading in equipment, then slanted for ergonomics when in use!

I've also spent a good portion of 2017 focused on expanding my analog synth setup - which has evolved into quite a passionate & educational endeavor as we're experiencing a wonderful analog synth renaissance and I'm really digging these babies!

My "circle of synths" as I call it, is now setup in the FR (across the room from the OP pic) and will soon get their own two 5' tall racks, one mostly for additional rack synths like the Voyager RME, and the other for (another) custom API DSM rack console, dual DA-3000's, rack FX and patchbays. The garage space is on the other side of the FR wall where these are setup and they'll get moved there when it's completed.

I'm on my iPad now, but I'll post some updated pics soon of the current state of affairs, along with updated renders of its evolution and layout, which includes some more gear, of course.

Old 21st January 2018
Gear Guru

hey man, you are looking in my backyard Woodland Hills !! .. please stop staring !!! haha .. curious to see what you have done already, standing by for some Pics !!!
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

I do digital rendering of my rack gear setups before I add things or move things around.

I have an overview floor plan of the studio. I have used it to plan changes.

I use Microsoft Visio, on a PC.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Cheers...

Here are updated studio renders* of my Family Room setup, along with a couple actual pictures of the current partial setup. Hope you like!

I've also included the Equipment Matrix grids that go along with these studio renders and which allow me to keep track of all the I/O's. These are color-coded so each piece of gear has a title bar color which is used to color the cells where they are connected. Once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to let your eyes follow the color-coded connections. I'm currently working on finalizing the patchbay connections.

A few notes on these renders;

- The 1st pic shows my guitar pedal-wall to the left. The pedal-wall is actually 5 separate pedal chains (in each row) with my main chain of 7 pedals on the bottom (... and, so you don't think I'm running my guitar through the whole rig! ). The 2 rows above that feed my amp's pre-fx & post-fx loops. Next up is a row dedicated to the Digitech TRIO+ Band Creator (a very fun unit!) and then my MXR bass pedal chain row just above that. The Electrix Repeater at the top is a new addition I'm looking forward to using.

- We have Relax The Back (Zero-G) Perfect Chairs, not the Eames recliners shown, but I couldn't find any good png images of the PC's.

- I use ProAc SM-100's (their new Studio 100's) in cherry finish, but couldn't find any good images of these, so I used very similar-looking cherry ProAcs. The only visual difference is the strip of wood that protrudes at the bottom of each speaker.

- There are only 2 tall synth racks which will be positioned at 45 degree angles facing into the circle of synths. I show them here from both the front and side together to provide better visuals, and because when images are rotated in Excel, they loose focus and you can't tell what they are anymore. These are still to be built.

* Brief history; These equipment & studio renders are all done in Excel, and were originally started some 20 years ago as a modest stack of gear with connection grids around them, so I could always refer to and keep track of all my connections.

I really can't wait to get it all setup!

Attached Thumbnails
Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-track-mix-rig_01a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-track-mix-rig_01b.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-synth-racks_01a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-synth-racks_01b.jpeg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-synth-circle_01.jpg  

Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-z-equipment-matrix_01a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-z-equipment-matrix_01b.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-studio-z-equipment-matrix_01c.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-analog-synth-setup_02.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-fam-room-synth-setup_02.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hey man, you are looking in my backyard Woodland Hills !! .. please stop staring !!! haha .. curious to see what you have done already, standing by for some Pics !!!

Hey, keep it down over there with the leaf blowers, we're trying to record!

Like DeNiro in Meet The Parents, I'll be watching you!

It's funny, when we drive up the street for 4th Of July we can see the entire Valley celebrating. Last year there must have been at least a couple hundred different fireworks displays happening all at the same time. Your entire panoramic view is filled with exploding colors. It's really a cool sight to behold!

Attached Thumbnails
Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-watching-you-fockers.gif  
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I do digital rendering of my rack gear setups before I add things or move things around.

I have an overview floor plan of the studio. I have used it to plan changes.

I use Microsoft Visio, on a PC.

Show me your renders!

It sure makes things easier when you're moving pictures instead of actual gear. I've gone through so many revisions to refine the setup this way. It's been so helpful for visualizing and making connections that I can't even imagine not doing it this way anymore.

Mine are all done in Excel - FOR MAC of all things (crappy)! Probably one of the worst - and slowest - programs on the planet. Every single task - every single one - leads to a 10 to 20 second spinning ball. It just doesn't handle pictures well, while at the same time it offers some pretty decent (but basic) pic adjustment tools.

I started these on a Dell PC almost 20 years ago and it was so much quicker to work back then. The 2016 Mac version of Excel is beyond pathetic, but I'm sort of stuck with it. I basically keep tabs of my whole studio in these multi-tab files.

I've attached a older OG matrix to show how they started. I'm actually locked out of my earliest one's cause I forgot the old password. Doh!

Attached Thumbnails
Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-_-og-studio-matrix_01.jpeg  
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Show me your renders!
Ok, ok. Don't laugh.

www.kronosrecording.com\KronosRacks051.jpg

www.kronosrecording.com\KronosFloorPlan011.JPG

Last edited by Kronos147; 23rd January 2018 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: links
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Laugh? These look great! You can just shift your rack gear around easily until it makes the most sense. I’m surprised more people don’t do this.

Floor plan looks slick. You’ve got some nice gear too. What’s the big tan unit at the bottom of the 3rd rack?

Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
What’s the big tan unit at the bottom of the 3rd rack?
lol

It's a video switcher. A rack filler. I can't use gear that is that low as my back would break. I put fun stuff in the racks at the low levels sometimes. I have an old oscilloscope too I used to have there. I also have a blank panel from a Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
lol

It's a video switcher. A rack filler. I can't use gear that is that low as my back would break. I put fun stuff in the racks at the low levels sometimes. I have an old oscilloscope too I used to have there. I also have a blank panel from a Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor.
Ah, gotcha. It kinds looks like some early sampler prototype from Akai that never launched. They made 3 working units and that’s one, lol.

Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Updates

Wow, almost 2 years ago to the day I posted my initial studio renders. Along with just contending with the daily intrusive nature of injury rehab and chronic pain, a lot has happened in between that has delayed the garage conversion where my main setup will be and the Family Room (FR) upgrades where I have a smaller rig.

As I've contemplated these dual recording setups - using a lot of visualization and "thought experiments" (as my physical tasking abilities have been extremely limited), the setups and design renders have continued to evolve over many iterations.

The goal for me is to develop ergonomic recording setups that I can live with for decades to come with little, if any, modifications (except, of course, within the 2013 Mac Pro using PT HD). IOW, record-ready rigs with all equipment in place and interconnected and that doesn't require any physical moving of gearz or cable re-connecting, etc. - except from the front of the patchbay.

The garage conversion with the main Control Room (CR) and Live Room has been a more long-tern project, which is why the FR rig was developed - because I needed some way to stay connected with my music and recording. So, I shifted focus on completing the FR setup with its more causal 8-channel hybrid recording rig on one side and integrated synth rig on the other side. My beloved synths have become like a family extension.

Yesterday I basically finished configuring the four 96-TT patchbays (my first PB's) and defining the cabling requirements, with lot's of DB25's to interconnect it all. This was quite a challenge, as I want to make the important interconnections that will maximize the setups' potential and allow for a smooth creative flow with absolute minimal tech tasking distractions. A big reason I added DUAL DSD master recorders IN EACH rig (black Korg MR-1000-SBK's and platinum Tascam DA-3000's, respectively), which facilitate straight to disc recording sans computer.

Here are basically the FINAL RENDERS for these setups as we will now shift into getting these actually setup. First the FR, then the CR & LR. The color-coded equipment connection matrixes portion for the CR is still to be completed and these will integrate four new patchbays as well. Oh, and the original garage conversion plan was to have the CR on the 2nd floor. But, this proved impractical, so it will be a more traditional conversion with vaulted ceilings.

NOTE: I have, use and rely on the ergonomic, zero gravity Perfect Chairs from Relax The Back, which aren't shown on the FR renders. I don't own and have never used the uber expensive Aemes chairs shown in the renders - which I used because the images are much better than the Perfect Chair images I have. Also, the normal position of my Perfect Chair recliner would be more forward to better reach and access the rack gear. I shifted the images back so the rack gear was more visible.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think! Would you do anything different? Am I missing something that would benefit such a setup? How about the patchbays and the connections? While I tried to think this all through and develop a setup that works for me, I'm open to suggestions as folks have been recording with similar hardware-focused setups for years.

And, good info is good info.

Attached Thumbnails
Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-05-fr-mix-rig_05h.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-05-fr-mix-rig_05zoom_5h.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-05-fr-mix-rig_05zoom_z6.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-06-fr-synth-rig_06e.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-06-fr-synth-rig_06zoom_2a.jpg  

Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-06-fr-synth-rig_06zoom_4a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-06-fr-synth-rig_06zoom_y1.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-07-fr-pedal-rig_01.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-matrix-main_01a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-patchbay-main_01a.jpg  

Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-matrix-synths_01a.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-00-fr-patchbay-synths_01a.jpg  
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Control Room & Live Room

And, the CR and LR RENDERS...
Attached Thumbnails
Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-01-cr-mix-rig_01f.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-01-cr-mix-rig_01zoom_1c.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-02-cr-mix-rig_02h.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-02-cr-mix-rig_02zoom_2e.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-02-cr-mix-rig_02zoom_z2.jpg  

Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-03-cr-mix-rig_03j.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-03-cr-mix-rig_03zoom_3e.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-03-cr-mix-rig_03zoom_z2.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-04-cr-live-room_04h.jpg   Show Me Your Studio &quot;RENDERS&quot; !!!-07-fr-pedal-rig_02.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search