The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitoring help???? Monitor Controllers
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Monitoring help????

Hi all,

So I've got an avocet and active ATC having off the back end of that being fed by my burl DA.

I'm keen on integrating some passive monitors into the equation but only want one amp not a separate amp for each set.

What I'm looking for is this...

Output from avocet into my power amp (XLR) then into some switching device that will allow me to select between the passive sets whilst still being powered by the one power amp.

I saw the Coleman box and thought that might do but looking for something a bit more robust per se.

Also I'm a tech Luddite so is it ok to go speaker out from the amp into other connections such as jack or xlr?

I saw in another thread the pro co switch witch might be an option.. If there is a uk seller?

Any other suggestions?
Wiggy
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Do you have an amp already? There was a post recently from a new (Brit I think) power amp company and they had switched, trimmable outputs. Might be worth a listen, I'll try to find a link.

edit: found it: power amp - FINI sound 180 watt 0.008% THD
hmmm 6 months on and no website yet ...
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Im confused....

If you get a pair of passive speakers then you will need a power amp for them.
I assume you don't have one already?

your Avocet is a monitor controller that you use to switch between speaker sets.
the three black buttons on the left select each set of speakers

so your Burl would feed the Avocet and then the Avocet would have one pair of XLR cables feeding the active ATCs and another pair of XLR cables feeding a power amp which would then use regular speaker cable to feed the new passive speakers.

You don't need a Coleman.
you don't want anything to sit between the connection between a power amp and speakers.
Old 23rd September 2016
Lives for gear

You're correct..

As per above I want to have one amp powering multiple passive monitors otherwise I'd just use each individual avocet output and seperate power amp for each set of passive monitors.

Cheers
Wiggy
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search