The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler little devil Eq knobs
Old 18th September 2016
Gear Nut
Chandler little devil Eq knobs

Does anyone who owns a Little Devil eq find it hard to see whats going on?
Its been offered to me at a fair price, but i am afraid it will make me force my already
not that great eyes.
I ve heard the sound and liked a lot, but i am afraid of those little knobs and small numbers...Any users bothered by that also?
Old 18th September 2016
QRS
Gear Maniac

true, numbers and knobs are small - but sound is great and i dont care anymore about what is exactly where... i turn knobs and i do it pretty fast. same with a kush electra which doesnt have exact freq. points also.. it forces you more to listen to the sound - which isnt a bad thing
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

This sounds like a good practice to use your ears and not your eyes.

Visually it might be useful when you are learning the unit or doing recalls. Though it always helps to go by what you hear and not what you see.

Anyway I have just ordered a unit and will let you know if it's a problem when it gets here.

Brett
Old 18th September 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRS View Post
true, numbers and knobs are small - but sound is great and i dont care anymore about what is exactly where... i turn knobs and i do it pretty fast. same with a kush electra which doesnt have exact freq. points also.. it forces you more to listen to the sound - which isnt a bad thing
I loooove the Kush Electras!!! Got a pair a couple of months ago, and its my main eq right now!!!
And, also, regarding not seeing, it helped me to kind ignore values and numbers, and just listen to it!!!
Its really good to just forget about the damm numbers, and focus only in what matters: the sound!!!
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumumano View Post
Does anyone who owns a Little Devil eq find it hard to see whats going on?
Its been offered to me at a fair price, but i am afraid it will make me force my already
not that great eyes.
I ve heard the sound and liked a lot, but i am afraid of those little knobs and small numbers...Any users bothered by that also?
You'll get over the knobs once you hear it. I almost always pair it with my 1272's to have a wonderful Neve EQ with my preamps. They're my fave on Elec guitars, piano, snares and overheads.

I hardly look at the knobs... the frequencies are stepped so you don't have to worry about missing a frequency... The gain knobs are not stepped but easy to adjust.
Old 8th December 2018
I demoed but have never owned the Little Devil stuff. I thought it all sounded amazing -- kind of slightly overdriven, warm, analog, highly characterful -- would love to own the whole set.

However my main hangup with them was the knobs, seemed to be gear that had dramatic changes with very small adjustments and it was driving me crazy / introducing doubt to the process, that I couldn't replicate previous settings easily due to the tiny knobs.

It would not stop me from buying any of the units because I have never heard anything that did that in 500 series (the closest thing I can compare the compressor to was the Summit TLA-100 -- it had that kind of meatiness and character), but I don't think I'd want to have to use them all the time, especially the compressor, just from the knob-stress.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
You'll get over the knobs once you hear it. I almost always pair it with my 1272's to have a wonderful Neve EQ with my preamps. They're my fave on Elec guitars, piano, snares and overheads.

I hardly look at the knobs... the frequencies are stepped so you don't have to worry about missing a frequency... The gain knobs are not stepped but easy to adjust.
Hi all, I’m shopping for a vibey pair of transformer in-and-out 500 eq’s specifically for guitar, snare, synths and perc. I’ve used and loved the RND 551 eq on the Shelford Channel (not mine), specifically the mids making the snare bloom and synths jump into 3D. So I’m immediately inclined towards the 551. But I’m having great experiences with Chandler gear in the last year, so fascinated with the Little Devil eq’s, but haven’t had an opportunity to demo them. Anyone have experience with both? Grateful for any opinions. Thx
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand63T View Post
Hi all, I’m shopping for a vibey pair of transformer in-and-out 500 eq’s specifically for guitar, snare, synths and perc. I’ve used and loved the RND 551 eq on the Shelford Channel (not mine), specifically the mids making the snare bloom and synths jump into 3D. So I’m immediately inclined towards the 551. But I’m having great experiences with Chandler gear in the last year, so fascinated with the Little Devil eq’s, but haven’t had an opportunity to demo them. Anyone have experience with both? Grateful for any opinions. Thx
I’ve owned both and currently still have the Little Devil EQs. I liked the low band of the 551, the mid was ok, and I did not like the high band. On the other hand, I like all 4 bands of the Little Devil plus it has 3 selectable hi pass filter points. You really can’t go wrong with that much flexibility and great sound in such a small box. The downside of difficulty in exact recall with small knobs and markings is made up for by the fact that it has such a wide sweet spot you don’t have to be that exact to sound great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search