The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dangerous 2-Bus+ Help Audio Interfaces
Old 18th September 2016
Here for the gear

Dangerous 2-Bus+ Help

Hello all!

I would appreciate some help in understanding or solving my issue.
If its obvious please forgive my ignorance..

I Just bought a Dangerous 2 bus+, i am connecting it to 8 channels of my Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre x Via mogami Gold Snake (trs to XLR M) (1-8)
And back in with mogami gold xlrf to trs cables.

When i output to the 2bus+ and Sum the Audio to record back into 1-2 (Or any of the inputs available) the Audio is coming back roughly 13db Lower.

No matter which inputs i use this happens. its really frustrating.

I spoke with a really nice Guy Over at Dangerous last week and he couldn't figure out the possible issue either said he has never heard of this specific problem.

I went back to calibration 101 and ran a signal generator in Pro tools out and to the 2bus then back into PT and the audio is roughly 13db lower then what the generator is putting out. yet if i run a cable bypassing the 2 bus straight back into the clarett 8 preX i get a matched signal in and out.

(Edit)

I have also tried turning the output on the 2bus+ to the +6 setting which dangerous told me is "Unity" and still cannot gain back enough signal to match.

Ive tried to enjoy the 2bus+ since getting but have been getting low volume returns , if i slam the faders in PT to get a louder volume out to the 2bus it sounds distorted even with it recorded back in at the lower volume.

If some one can make sense of this or has any insight or advice it would be grealy appreciated! and humbling im sure..

Thanks guys!

Last edited by criticalchild; 18th September 2016 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: info
Old 18th September 2016
Here for the gear

Bump.
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

The 2Bus+ has to leave headroom for up to 16 inputs, plus the paralimiter, transformer and harmonics, so perhaps it just turns down the inputs enough to allow headroom for all of that at once? If you're recording at 24 bits then you probably aren't really losing any resolution if you record back in a little lower and turn it up in digital.

The only other variables to try are the audio interface and cables? Are the outputs on the Focusrite switchable between +4/-10db? Have you made sure the Focusrite outputs connected to the 2Bus+ are not being controlled by the volume control? Are the inputs on the Focusrite set to line level etc.?
Old 18th September 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for your response!

To clarify a bit more:

I dont think the focusrite has a +4 -10 switch. i believe it is +4 all around. i will check on that in a moment.

To answer a few or your later questions:

Yes, the lines are set to Line not instr or mic. and are at 0.

Focusrite outputs/ inputs are at 0 on the inetrface and the digital mixer and the master monitor section does not alter in or out Volume Levels.

Yes files and session are at 48k 24 bit.

I have tried this 2bus+ at home (Current setup explained) and at my studio with HD3 setup and 192 i/0 as well and yielded same results.

I Figured headroom may be the culprit but it doesnt make sense that it so Low in return. if i gain digitally in PT by using "Gain" , i can get the volume back but the piece changes and sounds squashed or lackluster Compared to the original Audio recorded in.

For me im trying to see if im doing something wrong because i really wanted enjoy Analog summing and benefit from the lower crosstalk and wider sound field definition of the 2bus+ . yet so far my ITB Mixes are winning With trusted ears and colleagues as well as the record label im working with On this project.
(Not that they are listening as technically as Slutz do)

From a business stand point its not working out at such a high cost and im trying to remedy this or else i fear i have to return it.
I have heard such positive things about dangerous and analog summing so i would love to be set straight on any errors may be doing myself.
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear
I own a 2 bus +.

I suspect your set up on your interface software needs to be adjusted - it highly likely it is not the 2 Bus +.

Ot it is something with the Focusrite interface.... in my opinion, $1200 for all the features they put in the Focusrite does not leave a lot of room for high end accurate components.
Old 18th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
I own a 2 bus +.

I suspect your set up on your interface software needs to be adjusted - it highly likely it is not the 2 Bus +.

Ot it is something with the Focusrite interface.... in my opinion, $1200 for all the features they put in the Focusrite does not leave a lot of room for high end accurate components.

I thought the same thing until i listend to it vs my various audio interfaces including the symphony, 192 i/0, Duet 2, ensemble etc.. It stands up pretty nicely in terms of Sonic depth, impact, stereo field and more.

IN anycase. could you elaborate as to what software setting you may be referring to? im very open to figuring out these problems!

Thanks for your reply,

cc
Old 18th September 2016
Here for the gear

Bump Bump Buummmpp
Old 19th September 2016
Here for the gear

Ok. About to give up.. can't figure this out.
thanks for your input everyone!

Mods can close this thread if it helps make room, as no issue was resolved so it's probably a waist of space.

Cc
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalchild View Post
I Figured headroom may be the culprit but it doesnt make sense that it so Low in return. if i gain digitally in PT by using "Gain" , i can get the volume back but the piece changes and sounds squashed or lackluster Compared to the original Audio recorded in.

For me im trying to see if im doing something wrong because i really wanted enjoy Analog summing and benefit from the lower crosstalk and wider sound field definition of the 2bus+ . yet so far my ITB Mixes are winning With trusted ears and colleagues as well as the record label im working with On this project.
(Not that they are listening as technically as Slutz do)

From a business stand point its not working out at such a high cost and im trying to remedy this or else i fear i have to return it.
I have heard such positive things about dangerous and analog summing so i would love to be set straight on any errors may be doing myself.
The 2Bus+ is capable of recieving 16 channels. You're only using 8. An extra 8 channels would probably push the output up by 12dB or so (depending on what you feed it).

With 24 bit recording there's no need to record at hot levels, in fact it's better not to because most converters sound better that way. Digital gain in your DAW doesn't change the sound at all. It's about as transparent as it gets. If you don't believe me try some null tests.

The differences from external summing can be fairly subtle. If you don't think it's working for you then it's probably not worth it. There are plenty of threads here debating this...
Old 20th September 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

In some way I understand the headroom issue. On the other hand, if your using even 2 channels of a high end summing box signal loss should not be an issue..imho

In anycase, I think your right and it's just not for me. The label that commissioned the 2bus+ already approved and paid ITB mix. So my urgency has subsided.
I returned the unit to my rep, and moving forward with my previous workflow.

Thanks guys,

Cc
Old 20th September 2016
Gear Nut

I don't own the 2bus+ summing and I never tried one.
But have you tried to sum just your 2bus itb mix to it and print back to a stereo track just for see what happen?
I ask because if everything on your interface look right, and same thing for the dangerous summing; I will check cable between then.
And try to test with an other cable also.
Old 4th June 2017
Here for the gear

Did you get this figured out? I have the saffire pro 40 and had to adjust the software in such a way that it bypassed the volume section of the interface. Not sure I'm explaining it right but if you want me to shoot you a pic of my software settings for saffire let me know at [email protected] at.net. Was thinking about moving up to to Clarett so would like to know how it's going with you. I have the 2bus lt as well.

Javier
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear
The Dangerous 2 Bus+ is a fairly simple device. There is not a lot of extra stuff to go wrong. It does have three enhancement knobs which are fun but I doubt you are abusing those or using them. Of course if one of the enhancement knobs is on - like the limiter set to stun - you will see a lowering of volume.

Other than that, I strongly suspect the culprit is your Focusright converter not the Dangerous. Or the Dangerous was sent to you with a part broken.
Old 5th June 2017
WAD
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
The 2Bus+ is capable of recieving 16 channels. You're only using 8. An extra 8 channels would probably push the output up by 12dB or so (depending on what you feed it).
this is nonsense right?
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAD View Post
this is nonsense right?
I would think you are correct.
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Incorrect.. the 2Bus, LT and + use a pre on each channel leading to a summing circuit. Shouldn't be any issues with load balance (that's more akin to passive gear).

I think you may be running everything too hot.. turn down the outputs in your DAW.. turn up the input. Then use the 2Bus+ at unity gain.. see what happens.

That's if you still have it.. what did you do with it?
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of passive summing boxes or something...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search