The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann V422
Old 17th September 2016
Neumann V422

Looks like there's no mention of this device at GS.

It's from 80s, manual describes it as "isolation amplifier", it looks as preamp /splitter combo.
There is mic/line option and 48V phantom - therefore it acts as preamp.

The trick is - there is no gain pot. Any ideas and opinions, could it be used as typical preamp without or with modification? Sort of "fixed gain" preamp wouldn't make much sense for microphones, but it might work for line level signals, I guess.
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Maniac

was it a typo? I only know the Neumann V 442, which was the splitter everybody used on live sound installations and in recording studios with multiple control rooms, back in the 80ie and 90ies. I remember Galaxy studios in Belgium had like 32 channels of those in 1995.
Neumann site dates it to 1982:
https://www.neumann.com/?lang=de&id=...ct_accessories
I own one of those and did a love album of a singer songwriter with that. Only guitar and vocal and room mics. Sounded great. Level control before the converters was done with an Api Lunchbox with compressor modules from different brands (I remember only 2 Pendulum OCL500, which were excellent for that task).
There are at least 2 revisions of that Neumann splitter, one had phantom always on on eyery channel switched to mic input, and one had separate switches on each channel.
I once read in an interview with some bigger named tracking engineer, that he loves that thing as a DI for Rhodes. I never tried it though.
Old 17th September 2016
Yes it was a typo - thanks for correcting me! Its V442 of course.
I was sleepy while posting last night..

So - how did you control gain level while recording vocal and guitar mics?
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Addict

I have one. I don't use it a lot, but when I do I love it's sound. Mine's aplifies like 6 db, which combined with Neumann 7x mics gives enough level for some aplications. Sometimes I think to sell it as I already have other neumann line splitter cards in use and enough preamps, but when I take the dust of it and turn it on I always smile.
Heck I just get the idea to use it now
Old 18th September 2016
Gear Maniac

so again, mine gives around 35 dB of input gain on its mic setting. Then signal goes to Pendulum OCL500, which can easily take hot signals, as well as provide clean boost for too soft signals. Makeupgain/Output of the OCL controls the absolute overall level before a/d conversion. I don't actually use much of the threshold/ratio controls to dial in compression - just catching some peaks, if at all...
If the mics are the right ones, this works just perfect. If not - just go for a real decent preamp, linke with input gain, impendance, outputgain, phase, phantom and lowcut switches...
Old 18th September 2016
Gear Addict

35db? That would be great... Is a setting inside or was it modded?
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpiccolini View Post
35db? That would be great... Is a setting inside or was it modded?
my one was not modded, afaik.
I actually never measured the exact amplification value, but just compared to another pre and its setting for seeing a similar output on the meters...
most probably there were different versions around. or yours is broken, wich would be sad. try to ask Neumann. They are stll around as we know. ;-)
Old 19th September 2016
So there is amplification somewhere between 6 and 35dB but definitely there is amplification.
Thank you both for that cool bit of info!

Yes, there were several models, I think I spotted at least 2.
Old 19th September 2016
Oh btw - that would be amplification measured in mic mode, but there is line mode too, with less amplification I guess?
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Addict

Ok, I tested mine: 18db of amplification or 0db. It's the "A" version. Sounds really nice.
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

As far as memory serves, most Neuman fixed gain mic amps were set at 34db and designed to be used with condenser mics.
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Ribbons and low-output dynamics might do alright with a Cloudlifter, ya think?
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
As far as memory serves, most Neuman fixed gain mic amps were set at 34db and designed to be used with condenser mics.
you're right, thats the case with V472 and V475, but V442 is a splitter, not an amp... it amplifies and it's a Neumann, so it sounds very good
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

so its transformers must provide passive gain, meaning that different taps on the transformer could provide different levels of gain.
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Addict

you can download the manual here: https://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=...ct_accessories

In short: there are a few versions. One of them, V442 A version 3.2, amplifies 18db or 0db. I was suspecting something was wrong with mine because I had +48V always (provided it's on, of course) both in Mic and Line modes. Now it's clear: mine is the 3.2 version, and thanks to this thread I've found a place for it in my studio
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search