The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
REAL Spring Reverb for Vocals Help!
Old 14th September 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

REAL Spring Reverb for Vocals Help!

Hey guys! I'm looking for a good real spring reverb mainly for vocals. Something akin to the AKG BX-10 or 20. Is there anyone making anything like that these days? I've noticed Vermona is making a spring reverb but I'm not sure how it sounds as there are not many demos of it out there. Does any one have any advice? My budget for this is around 1.5k but I would like to spend under a grand if possible. I would just buy an AKG but I've been searching for months and have not found anyone selling.

Some units I've seen that may be good but I can't find any reliable demonstrations or info on them:

VERMONA -ReTubeVerb

ENDLESS SUMMER DELUXE True Hand-Wired Studio Spring Reverb Ever wonder why there isn’t a decent stereo spring reverb made for studio use? Us too. We’ve searched high and low for a low-noise, rack-mountable, classic, real, stereo spring reverb. If you

Thank you for any help or advice!
Old 15th September 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Roland RV-800 /Roland RSS-10 Studio Reverb Spring unit circa 1978 - Even has two compressors built in for Quad, FX send, Return, numerous outputs, rare endangered and much sought after,bthough the sound... Stunning!
Old 15th September 2016
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Thank you for the help so far can anyone tell me how the Vermona or the Zerotronics Cool Springs compares to the BX units?
Old 15th September 2016
  #5
Gear Addict
 

I dig the springs in my Roland 501, with or without the delay.
Old 15th September 2016
  #6
Not hardware but Apollo does a really nice emulation of the BX20. I certainly wouldn't buy one without having it fully inspected. The yellow foam that's used in damping degrades after all this time. We have a BX10 with one channel that needed repair for about 15 years now and your thread reminded me it's in the store room and we're gonna get it out tonight and see how it sounds after all this time. A fully functional BX20 sounds great and hard to beat.
Old 15th September 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
Sonically much better than BX20 is BX25, love it.
Old 16th September 2016
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Not hardware but Apollo does a really nice emulation of the BX20. I certainly wouldn't buy one without having it fully inspected. The yellow foam that's used in damping degrades after all this time. We have a BX10 with one channel that needed repair for about 15 years now and your thread reminded me it's in the store room and we're gonna get it out tonight and see how it sounds after all this time. A fully functional BX20 sounds great and hard to beat.
Sell it to me.
Old 16th September 2016
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSamurai View Post
Hey guys! I'm looking for a good real spring reverb mainly for vocals. Something akin to the AKG BX-10 or 20. Is there anyone making anything like that these days? I've noticed Vermona is making a spring reverb but I'm not sure how it sounds as there are not many demos of it out there. Does any one have any advice? My budget for this is around 1.5k but I would like to spend under a grand if possible. I would just buy an AKG but I've been searching for months and have not found anyone selling.

Some units I've seen that may be good but I can't find any reliable demonstrations or info on them:

VERMONA -ReTubeVerb

ENDLESS SUMMER DELUXE True Hand-Wired Studio Spring Reverb Ever wonder why there isn’t a decent stereo spring reverb made for studio use? Us too. We’ve searched high and low for a low-noise, rack-mountable, classic, real, stereo spring reverb. If you

Thank you for any help or advice!
I saw this thing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG38EWa6hRM
IGS Springtime - sounds pretty cool in the demonstration
Old 16th September 2016
  #10
Gear Nut
 

I've got a BX10 and an older Lexicon PCM reverb. Guess which one I'd never get rid of in a thousand years?
Old 16th September 2016
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPursuitOfPrfxn View Post
I saw this thing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG38EWa6hRM
IGS Springtime - sounds pretty cool in the demonstration
That would be cool if they didn't want over 3k for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullyfan View Post
I've got a BX10 and an older Lexicon PCM reverb. Guess which one I'd never get rid of in a thousand years?
May I offer you my first born child's soul for your BX10?
Old 16th September 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
Before and after my emt and BX days ...have gotten good results with the little accutronics.
Old 16th September 2016
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSamurai View Post
Sell it to me.
Got the BX 10 out last evening and for some reason both channels work fine. We going to let it sit for awhile turned on and see if my memory has failed me or it is a working unit. Right now it sounds like a BX10 should sound with all the pots working fine.

We had a few BX20s pass through here back then and I may have gotten it mixed up with one of those that did have serious issues. It still weighs a ton. I'll post tomorrow after it has sat, turned on for 24 hrs.
Old 17th September 2016
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Got the BX 10 out last evening and for some reason both channels work fine. We going to let it sit for awhile turned on and see if my memory has failed me or it is a working unit. Right now it sounds like a BX10 should sound with all the pots working fine.

We had a few BX20s pass through here back then and I may have gotten it mixed up with one of those that did have serious issues. It still weighs a ton. I'll post tomorrow after it has sat, turned on for 24 hrs.
Where are you located? I would seriously be interested if everything tests out ok on it if you wanted to sell it.
Old 17th September 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Demeter makes a nice one for well under a grand. They make good stuff.

Demeter RV-1D Real Spring Reverb - Vintage King
Old 17th September 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
MickeyMassacre's Avatar
You can also buy used spring tanks from guitar amps on eBay and get a radial 500 tank driver module. Those things are really fun, and being able to buy different old tanks will yield varying results.
Old 17th September 2016
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSamurai View Post
Where are you located? I would seriously be interested if everything tests out ok on it if you wanted to sell it.
I'm in the Wash DC area. Left the unit on over night and we carefully checked each channel. One of the channels is not quite as full (less low end) as the other, the volume is fine. You can't really hear the difference when used in stereo.

My dad bought it new, at least thirty years ago and used it as his main reverb in his home studio for a couple decades. It's cosmetically in great shape but because of the one channel being not as "fat" as the other it probably needs to be looked at to bring it back to "showroom new" condition.

If you live anywhere close, you're welcome to check it out. I wouldn't even know where to start on setting a price but it's available. We were all surprised at how good these units sound in comparison to the rack units on sale these days.
Old 17th September 2016
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
Demeter makes a nice one for well under a grand. They make good stuff.

Demeter RV-1D Real Spring Reverb - Vintage King
+1!
Old 27th September 2016
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Digital Black's Avatar
 

There's a BX20 on ebay right now that toured with the Beach Boys.. looks pretty clean. Personally I'm about to buy a UAD card for the BX20 emu alone...
Old 27th September 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

I have the Demeter spring rv1d and love it
Old 29th September 2016
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

I've got a spring in a roland tape echo which is cool for a certain sound but have been looking out a more high end spring like a bx25 to do vocals, strings etc. That IGS Spring time and the Demeter look very interesting. But are the Akg Bx20 and 25 (and one of the Master Room's?) different to these type of spring reverbs in that the size of the springs is dramatically larger on the bx20 and that makes a difference? Am I right in thinking that the BX20 / bx 25 might also have more than one spring and it feeds the signal first through one then the other - and also maybe feeds some of the left channel into the right and some of the right into the left etc? Is that how they achieve the complexity / smoothness within their tail and also get away from the kind of spring sound in a traditional guitar amp or modular synth set up? The Bx25 seems to sound much closer to a plate than to the kind of spring sound that might be awesome on say, a rockabilly guitar part. - ??
Old 29th September 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Bliss View Post
I've got a spring in a roland tape echo which is cool for a certain sound but have been looking out a more high end spring like a bx25 to do vocals, strings etc. That IGS Spring time and the Demeter look very interesting. But are the Akg Bx20 and 25 (and one of the Master Room's?) different to these type of spring reverbs in that the size of the springs is dramatically larger on the bx20 and that makes a difference? Am I right in thinking that the BX20 / bx 25 might also have more than one spring and it feeds the signal first through one then the other - and also maybe feeds some of the left channel into the right and some of the right into the left etc? Is that how they achieve the complexity / smoothness within their tail and also get away from the kind of spring sound in a traditional guitar amp or modular synth set up? The Bx25 seems to sound much closer to a plate than to the kind of spring sound that might be awesome on say, a rockabilly guitar part. - ??
BX 25 has actually longer spring than BX20.(although is smaller)You can read more here - I added BX25 manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BX25E.pdf (1.66 MB, 114 views)
Old 29th September 2016
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
BX 25 has actually longer spring than BX20.(although is smaller)You can read more here - I added BX25 manual.
Thanks for that, very interesting. I notice the incoming signal excites the spring from both ends, is that standard in older spring reverb designs too or is that a BX25 e innovation?
Do you have a 25E for sale? If so, could you ship to London?
Old 29th September 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Bliss View Post
Thanks for that, very interesting. I notice the incoming signal excites the spring from both ends, is that standard in older spring reverb designs too or is that a BX25 e innovation?
Do you have a 25E for sale? If so, could you ship to London?
I'm not sure about that is standard.BX25 was AKG last design of springs and is really the best ( I owned BX15 and BX20 yet)
Unfortunately my BX25 is not for sale.I'm using it daily. And I believe it will get more and more pricey.
Old 29th September 2016
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
I'm not sure about that is standard.BX25 was AKG last design of springs and is really the best ( I owned BX15 and BX20 yet)
Unfortunately my BX25 is not for sale.I'm using it daily. And I believe it will get more and more pricey.
You're fortunate to have it, there's not many around - good for you! Enjoy!
It does seem to be the best one, from what I can tell. Though maybe the Bx20 is more "vintage / retro" sounding and some would prefer that?

Do you know, does the 25e actually have 4 springs or 2? And the bx20? 2 springs? I've seen a photo of a Master Room that seems to have two separate springs that are about the size of the bx20, not sure how that compares to the akg boxes though. I do wonder if that kind of design is just a fundamentally different category of reverb to the small, single tank springs and they're really doing a whole other sound - that maybe isn't even what people think of as "spring-y"- ?
Old 29th September 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Bliss View Post
You're fortunate to have it, there's not many around - good for you! Enjoy!
It does seem to be the best one, from what I can tell. Though maybe the Bx20 is more "vintage / retro" sounding and some would prefer that?

Do you know, does the 25e actually have 4 springs or 2? And the bx20? 2 springs? I've seen a photo of a Master Room that seems to have two separate springs that are about the size of the bx20, not sure how that compares to the akg boxes though. I do wonder if that kind of design is just a fundamentally different category of reverb to the small, single tank springs and they're really doing a whole other sound - that maybe isn't even what people think of as "spring-y"- ?
I guess BX20 has more noise usually also takes much more space.Sonically are alike , BX25 sounds lush and bigger to my ears.
Check the english manual bellow added, could help
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump