The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSD analog mixer Consoles
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Nut
DSD analog mixer

I'm looking for a small format console to mix from DSD... I'd like to hear from people who actually utilize the DSD format. I'll be mixing in a smaller room..
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Guru

Your user name, this thread... that can't be a coincidence can it?

Alistair
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

The quicker the kill the better, right?
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Nut
This isn't Mr Woo, from Woo audio.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR WOO View Post
I'm looking for a small format console to mix from DSD... I'd like to hear from people who actually utilize the DSD format. I'll be mixing in a smaller room..
How many tracks will you be using and at what sample rate? You will need something with a lot of headroom.
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Nut
I will be utilizing a minimum of 8 tracks @ 5.6Mhz and 11.2Mhz.
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
The quicker the kill the better, right?
Since when does the source matter to the quality of the console? Surely a high quality clean analogue mixer is a high quality clean analogue mixer regardless of what you feed it. So the question combined with the user name really looked like a joke... apparently it isn't.

Alistair
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Nut
I posted in the wrong forum. I was supposed to have posted in the pyramix forum. sorry...Wasn't thinking..
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Mr. Woo, you've got mail.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will be utilizing a minimum of 8 tracks @ 5.6Mhz and 11.2Mhz.
11.2Mhz and noise buildup won't be a problem at all. 8 tracks at 5.6Mhz should be OK if you've got a high headroom console.

I haven't mixed multitrack DSD before, but I remember reading that when they were mixing John Hiatt's Master of Disaster, recorded on Sonoma at 2.8mhz, they found that the SSL channels were struggling with DSD, but it ended up working pretty well with a Neve. You just want something with lots of headroom, that is flat beyond 50khz and that isn't prone to intermodulation distortion in the ultrasonic frequencies.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
You just want something with lots of headroom, that is flat beyond 50khz and that isn't prone to intermodulation distortion in the ultrasonic frequencies.
Here the Zähl AM1 comes to mind. A friend of mine did a mix with it for a DSD project and it sounded grest.

AM1 Mixing Console | Zähl Elektronik-Tontechnik
Attached Thumbnails
DSD analog mixer-am1_smallest_8ch.png  
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Nut
Thanks adebar...I emailed the company and I'm waiting on a response..
Old 15th September 2016
Deleted User
Also consider something custom from Rens Heijnis
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Maybe a Jim Williams modded 8 channel delta?
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Also consider something custom from Rens Heijnis
Yep, this is the way I would go, and am thinking about now. or this.
Old 15th September 2016
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear

I was destined to get that toolmod console but communication left something to be desired. I was dead set on it too
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Nut
Hey David, I didn't expect to see you on gearslutz. Dave,for mix down from the hapi,I was looking for a small mixing console,not a summing mixer..I may have to make some EQ tweaks,and volume changes on playback from DSD.
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Mr Woo,

If you need to do much to it then the whole DSD analog thing is probably not worth it. I am considering a direct to disc type approach only, where record multi-tracks in DSD, then mix with very high quality line mixer, no EQ, minimal gain change only then re-record to stereo DSD for publication.

If I need EQ then I will record DXD and produce from all ITB mastering.

I am not convinced about all this yet, but have been listening to a lot of SACD's recently and have been doing some DSD recording myself on a few projects.

SACD's just seem to be mixed and mastered a hell of a lot better than their CD counterparts, I think this was and still is a kind of fraud.
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Nut
Hey David their is a mix and mastering engineer that I know, that takes his DSD audio out to some tube equipment,does some tweaks and then back to DSD. His projects sound awesome...All of the stuff he does sounds like it was done for surround sound..The audio spectrum is full and balanced...He has some really old gear that you cannot find anymore..
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey David their is a mix and mastering engineer that I know, that takes his DSD audio out to some tube equipment,does some tweaks and then back to DSD. His projects sound awesome...All of the stuff he does sounds like it was done for surround sound..The audio spectrum is full and balanced...He has some really old gear that you cannot find anymore..
Have you considered a good old Studer 169 or a Studer 961?

With a 10 channels 169 you could also have a great reverb (like the bricasti) on an aux send.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Nut
I was looking at a Studer mixing console, I just haven't found one that was in good shape..I really want to find something that will be reliable....Something newer..
Old 19th September 2016
Quote:
their is a mix and mastering engineer that I know, that takes his DSD audio out to some tube equipment,does some tweaks and then back to DSD.
If you'd like to go that route, maybe check out the Roots console from Tree Audio. gl Tree Audio Recording Product Home Page
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
If you'd like to go that route, maybe check out the Roots console from Tree Audio. gl Tree Audio Recording Product Home Page
I was wondering if this piece would have a certain character? Have you gotten a chance to listen to it?
Old 19th September 2016
Quote:
I was wondering if this piece would have a certain character? Have you gotten a chance to listen to it?
I've worked on a couple projects that were mixed through the console.
The company "Tree Audio" has some good lineage (Steve Firlotte & Ian Gardiner)
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Nut
Hey thanks...I'll check into it.
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

I built a remote recording rig quite a few years ago, based around a Genex 9048 recorder and a Aurora audio GTM-822 mixer.
Recorded a number of records with that setup.
It was sonic bliss..(for a while)
A few months........

The Genex recorder was friggin amazing sonically
(until it stopped working correctly) and the company went belly up!
This is a story unto itself.

And the GTM-822 was sublime, until it broke down, again, again, and again...
Geoff fixed it a few times, but it was in his shop for repair more then I had it.

It was good while it lasted, (amazingly good)
but I took a major hit in the thousands of $$$ for those two pieces...
What a waste. Lost clients and lots of money.
As I couldn't count on them to work day in and day out, so I sold both at a MAJOR loss.
And made sure the perspective buyers new the problems that each unit had.
I guess this is what happens sometimes when you want to be on the bleeding edge.
So be it.

Sadly a huge waste of time and $$$
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was looking at a Studer mixing console, I just haven't found one that was in good shape..I really want to find something that will be reliable....Something newer..
The 169 are VERY reliable, IF they're in good conditions of course.
Check only reputable sellers.

Cheu
Old 20th September 2016
I'm unsure of what kind of setup you'd want, but perhaps try a Speck Lilo with some outboard clean preamps (if tracking) like Grace or Millennia, and maybe some nice clean EQs and Compressors of sorts, as the Lilo is just the mixer. I have heard the thing though, and it sounds pretty phenomenal. Perhaps you'd like that.
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Any console will do for your proposed work. As long as it is not a Chinese console. High end console is not necessary.

Buy any Soundcraft or Audio Developments. Any console at a studio will do. I wouldn't buy anything--just go rent time at a studio for this experiment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search