The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GENELEC 8050A or GENELEC 1031A? Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Maniac

GENELEC 8050A or GENELEC 1031A?

Hi - I currently use Yamaha HS8s in my home studio. The room is 11x 10, with an 8 ft ceiling. Not ideal, I know, but have made it work with some treatment.

I am looking to upgrade my monitors, and am going to rent a pair for a day to see how they work for me. It is really only feasible to rent one pair, so should I rent the 8050As, or 1031As? I understand that monitors are much a personal thing, and the room factors in of course, so I hope that this is a legitimate question here.

Also. seems as tho the As have been replaced with the Bs, but hopefully they are close enough to get a good idea.

Thanks.
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Nut

Hi.
I have and currently use in my room a pair of 8050As. They sound incredible - my humble opinion.

That said, I have come to believe that is the problem with them. Everything sounds good through them. They hype the sound and make it a little more endy. The difficulty arises when you take your mix and play it somewhere else often I found it sounded lifeless and the magic was gone.

In my home listening room I have a pair of Tannoy 215 DMT2s. Its a long story. These speakers are incredible because you can hear a night and day difference between mixes done during different decades. They are totally unforgiving - if the spectrum is not there it will be obvious.

I have heard 1031As and they are not 215s but come closer to that idea than the 8050s. I would try the 1031s.

Notwithstanding the forgoing comments, if you listen to the 8050s a lot - like I mean all the time to Internet radio and CDs, you will develop an ear for problems in a mix. It just seems harder on the 8050s because they sound "good" to me.

c.
Old 14th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdruzeta View Post
Hi.
I have and currently use in my room a pair of 8050As. They sound incredible - my humble opinion.

That said, I have come to believe that is the problem with them. Everything sounds good through them. They hype the sound and make it a little more endy. The difficulty arises when you take your mix and play it somewhere else often I found it sounded lifeless and the magic was gone.

In my home listening room I have a pair of Tannoy 215 DMT2s. Its a long story. These speakers are incredible because you can hear a night and day difference between mixes done during different decades. They are totally unforgiving - if the spectrum is not there it will be obvious.

I have heard 1031As and they are not 215s but come closer to that idea than the 8050s. I would try the 1031s.

Notwithstanding the forgoing comments, if you listen to the 8050s a lot - like I mean all the time to Internet radio and CDs, you will develop an ear for problems in a mix. It just seems harder on the 8050s because they sound "good" to me.

c.
I have to agree with that. I've heard the 8040's and 8050's and they both seem too flattering for my own taste. I know a lot of people that swear by them, but also swear at them when their mixes come off dull and missing things. If the two were my choices I would lean towards the 1031's.
Old 14th September 2016
It all come down to personal taste and learning the character of your monitors. I personally like the 8050's better than the older Genelec as several engineering improvements were made.

I also found you always need to listen to music through at least two different sources. I have the Focal Twins and the Yamaha HS5's as my second monitors which provide a different perspective. If my mixes sound great through both monitors my mixes sound great on any source. High end headphones can also be used once you learn the characteristics
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi guys - thanks for replying.

Are the 8050As and 1031As powered, or do thy require a power amp?
Old 18th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbinti View Post
Hi guys - thanks for replying.

Are the 8050As and 1031As powered, or do thy require a power amp?
Powered.....of course

8050a all the way.....maybe the best monitor ever created......
(I hate the 1032....translation) can't tell about the 1031...but the 1030a are very
good monitors.....the've improved the things
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

Genelcs are kinda like Bose. Everything sounds good thru them.
How some people mix on them is a mystery to me
Old 18th September 2016
I love my 8050s and work in a bunch of rooms with 1031s/1032s - the 8000 stuff seems a lot less flattering to me and translation when going to mastering is just awesome.
Old 18th September 2016
I got both 1030 and 1031. I prefer the 1031 over the 1030. Just feels more clear and revealing .
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Genelcs are kinda like Bose. Everything sounds good thru them.
How some people mix on them is a mystery to me
8050's translate perfectly, in my experience, but yes you can mix quicker on yamaha, krks, or jbls (newer models) , but sorta in a blind way.....(resolution, Image, depth

Last edited by reflix; 19th September 2016 at 06:58 AM..
Old 19th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflix View Post
8050's translate perfectly, in my experience, but yes you can mix quicker on yamaha, krks, or jbls (newer models) , but sorta in a blind way.....(resolution, Image, depth
I dont find that you can mix faster on them. I find the less detailed and more budget monitors while great tools at their price tend to take longer to mix on as its a struggle to hear exactly whats happening in the mix at times.

I like genelecs as listening speakers with detail. As a sole mixing tool i just find them too flattering as well. As a secondary set they are great though. Great company as well.
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

Having worked with almost any commercially available monitor I can't imagine mixing on something more truthful as Genelecs. They sound good when the mix sounds good and bad when the mix sounds bad.

The majority of the issues people attribute to Genelecs are actually caused by acoustical issues of their rooms.
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celinara View Post
I dont find that you can mix faster on them. I find the less detailed and more budget monitors while great tools at their price tend to take longer to mix on as its a struggle to hear exactly whats happening in the mix at times.

I like genelecs as listening speakers with detail. As a sole mixing tool i just find them too flattering as well. As a secondary set they are great though. Great company as well.
Jantex

Celinara, Remember genelec not only leads as music studio monitor , but also in audio post rooms, thousands of pro mixers use the 80 series in a daily basis without any complaint , flatter? no you may be talking about mastering speakers instead, genelec are very detailed because tweeter, waveguide...... actually more "hyped" than mastering speakers.

As Jantex said, bad mixes sound bad on the genelec, good mixes sound good. A friend of mine uses 1032 only, I could't learn the 1032 enough to feel safe for mixing, but the 8050a is a different beast (for me) and is all I need , no second monitor required.

Also, Genelec's sound is adjustable (deep switches and software) I got to say I prefer analogue switches, . without adjustment genelec will "lie" flat settings are for measurement only.

Also the room is very important
Old 19th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflix View Post
Jantex

Celinara, Remember genelec not only leads as music studio monitor , but also in audio post rooms, thousands of pro mixers use the 80 series in a daily basis without any complaint , flatter? no you may be talking about mastering speakers instead, genelec are very detailed because tweeter, waveguide...... actually more "hyped" than mastering speakers.

As Jantex said, bad mixes sound bad on the genelec, good mixes sound good. A friend of mine uses 1032 only, I could't learn the 1032 enough to feel safe for mixing, but the 8050a is a different beast (for me) and is all I need , no second monitor required.

Also, Genelec's sound is adjustable (deep switches and software) I got to say I prefer analogue switches, . without adjustment genelec will "lie" flat settings are for measurement only.

Also the room is very important
Oh I'm well aware that Genelec is very popular. I'm not saying they are bad by any means. They are great monitors. They just dont work for me personally as sole mixing monitors in my space. Monitors are a very subjective thing of course and everyone tends to hear them differently. I probably should have ended my post with YMMV.
Old 19th September 2016
Genelec SAM Series

I have a brand, new pair of 8340A SAM monitors with the 7360A SAM sub on the way. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I'm also grabbing the GLM calibration kit (with the microphone).

I always wanted a reasonably sized 2.1 system with a calibration kit.

I think the build, features, and quality look fantastic, and my retailer was able to get a phenominal deal.

I've mixed former stuff on PMC TWOTWO6 monitors, and Focal Solo speakers.

IMO, it all comes down to learning the speakers.., regardless of brand. It's also important to have a great headphone set.

My needs/wants require something that can go loud for tracking, and fits on my custom desk. I also wanted a sub that can be switched on and off (and be calibrated) quite easily.

I'll report back on my thoughts, after I try them out.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 19th September 2016
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it! Maybe if you have a free afternoon I'll pop by and check them out myself (noticed your in the same city as I).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search