The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drawmer MC3.1 vs Grace Design m905
Old 25th November 2016
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
It's excellent. Very clean sounding, nice precise master level control. Overall ok build quality, a slight step up from mackie bigknob.
I like that all the switches is latching so you can listen to whatever whenever.
Thank you for the response. Glad to hear that it is clean sounding.
Old 25th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's excellent. Very clean sounding, nice precise master level control. Overall ok build quality, a slight step up from mackie bigknob.
I like that all the switches is latching so you can listen to whatever whenever.
I just bristled a little bit over the "slight step up". Drawmer (all Drawmer) is hand made in the UK, the Big Knob is a mass produced thing made far far away. They are not similar, the manufactured cost of the two are drastically different.
Brad
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
I just bristled a little bit over the "slight step up". Drawmer (all Drawmer) is hand made in the UK, the Big Knob is a mass produced thing made far far away. They are not similar, the manufactured cost of the two are drastically different.
Brad
And yet a quite respected Gearslutz member uses his ears to come to this conclusion; interesting...I guess China is not a bad word anymore...

Peace
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoWheelock View Post
And yet a quite respected Gearslutz member uses his ears to come to this conclusion; interesting...I guess China is not a bad word anymore...

Peace
I thought Tobias was commenting more about the Drawmer being s slight step up on the build quality, not commenting on comparison of sonics. Mr Lindell- can you clarify?

About China, you can get good stuff, you can get bad stuff. Few can build cheaper than China, so its really about what the company wants in performance and how much money they want to make selling it. I am big on locally owned manufacturers with a dedicated staff of people who work only for them and their brand. ALL the high stuff is like that. Not much of the low to mid priced gear manufacturing is like that anymore. SO while Drawmer has a under $1000 monitor controller, their company structure looks more like Crane Song than it does Mackie.

Brad
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Maniac

R2D2 is watching u
Attached Thumbnails
Drawmer MC3.1 vs Grace Design m905-img_1497.jpg  
Old 11th July 2017
Quote:
Is ANYTHING 100% transparent? I think its more "colors" and "features" and "sound for the money" kinds of evaluations.
HI Brad, hoping you may be able to help me out here.

I have just purchased an MC3.1, and I and wondering what cable I need to connect the SPDIF (RCA) output from my Motu 1248 to the combo jack on the digital input of the MC 3.1 - seems like RCA to 1/4"but I can't seem to find a 75 ohm cable like this for sale?

Any help on what is needed to make this connection here would be great
Old 30th July 2017
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds good! Have you tried it next to the Dangerous MONITOR ST or any other high level monitor controllers? I'm looking into either the MC3.1 or the SPL MTC.

What's nice about the MC3.1 is it has 2 headphone outs vs. 1 and a separate sub out so you would have to use 1 of your 3 monitor outs for a sub from what I can tell.

The only other option would be the Coleman MKIII but again, no separate sub out and only 1 headphone outs. It is in a rack which is nice but I think I'd prefer the desktop of the MC3.1.

Thanks!
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Looking into the MC3.1 as well.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
HI Brad, hoping you may be able to help me out here.

I have just purchased an MC3.1, and I and wondering what cable I need to connect the SPDIF (RCA) output from my Motu 1248 to the combo jack on the digital input of the MC 3.1 - seems like RCA to 1/4"but I can't seem to find a 75 ohm cable like this for sale?

Any help on what is needed to make this connection here would be great
Hey Hardtoe

http://www.drawmer.com/uploads/manua...ors_manual.pdf

Here's a link to the owners manual where they ho over all that.

The SPDIF 1/4 inch is tip hot (signal) and the sleeve is shield or ground. Just like an RCA: tip is hot, and the little spades (on the male RCA plug) are ground or shield.

You can make one or have someone like Redco make it for you?

Brad
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Am I right in thinking that the Grace cannot monitor more than one input at once?
Old 29th September 2017
Quote:
Hey Hardtoe

The SPDIF 1/4 inch is tip hot (signal) and the sleeve is shield or ground. Just like an RCA: tip is hot, and the little spades (on the male RCA plug) are ground or shield.

Brad
Thanks Brad,

Just been using a SPDIF RCA with an adapter to 1/4" - sounds great - is there a sound quality issue to this solution that could be improved by a custom cable?

Very impressed with the DA in the MC3.1 - it sounds clean, controlled and accurate - very much like high quality monitoring should.

I also like the DA in my Motu 1248, but the presentation there is much more like a hi-fi tone, looser focus and sweeter

(both these clocked off an Apogee Big Ben)

I love having the ability to switch back n forth between these sources, as both are useful points of view on a mix
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Thanks Brad,

Just been using a SPDIF RCA with an adapter to 1/4" - sounds great - is there an sound quality issue that could be improved by a custom cable?

Very impressed with the DA in the MC3.1 - it sounds clean, controlled and accurate - very much like high quality monitoring should.

I also like the DA in my Motu 1248, but the presentation there is much more like a hi-fi tone

I love having the ability to switch back n forth between these sources, as both are useful points of view on a mix
I personally would not use an adaptor only because they are notoriously unreliable. I would not sue one for analog either! That being said, from your comments it sounds like its working fine and you can certainly work on it later.

Brad
Old 29th September 2017
Ok I see Brad - I am still unsure if it is possible to degrade the digital signal just a little bit with an adapter, or is it a "works or doesn't" situation?
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

I had the drawmer MC3.1 , a great tool but it's messing with your signal
to your speakers.

i got it out and connected my monitors directly to the ssl alphalink, and wow what a difference, now i had depth and stereo imaging!

i patched a midi controller to the RME's madiface controller and used an extra pair outs for the small monitors (i listen to psi a17 and ns10's).
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

I've got an m905 and I think it might be the best piece of gear that I own. When inputs and outputs change, as they always do with compressors and 2 buss setups etc, the grace always has a way to handle it.

It is the epicenter of my rig. It will be the last thing that I sell if I ever get out of this crazy recording world.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Hardtoe

Brad
Looking into this as well.
Just for more clarify, is the "combo jack" the same digital signal path or just used to allow a connection choice of the two formats at one physical input.

I see Mogami makes a 6ft TS to RCA and an XLR to RCA. I'm trying to decide which one to grab. My signal is coming out of my Omni HD (and may have an HD I/O soon) into the MC3.1

www.mogamicable.com/category/products/gold_TS-RCA_6_12.php
www.mogamicable.com/category/products/gold-XLRM-RCA_6_12.php

Last edited by nukmusic; 7th November 2017 at 05:54 PM..
Old 25th December 2019
Just got rid of my drawmer mc3.1 yesterday morning. Tbh it did it's job but the complaints just out numbered the benefits and ultimately I'm awaiting my m905 in the mail as I type this.
The buttons stuck, the talk back was crazy noisy, the features were great but ultimately when I started monitoring straight out of my antelope audio goliath it was the return of my depth and clarity. Thus being the final nail in the coffin and she's off to a new home in Florida. She brought me far, I just wish she could've brought me even further.

Last edited by illsoulprod; 25th December 2019 at 09:11 PM..
📝 Reply