The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL mix bus question
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

SSL mix bus question

I was just reading that most of the older SSL desks have transformerless line amps.

If this is the case, what is it that makes them saturate when you push the mix bus hard ?

thanks for the info in advance.

Brett
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett 123 View Post
I was just reading that most of the older SSL desks have transformerless line amps.

If this is the case, what is it that makes them saturate when you push the mix bus hard ?

thanks for the info in advance.

Brett
All of the SSL 4k/6k that I worked on in the 80's/90's had no transformers on the line inputs. I wouldn't want to saturate them either. Sometimes we even bypassed them by patching into the insert returns.
The mix buss does have a sweet spot though when pushed right.....
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

I used a 4064 the other week for the first time and loved the sweet spot and it certainly doesn't mind being hit hard.

Mixed a few dance tracks and the mix buss just loved the high energy of the kicks and snares and really let the transients come through.

Was getting really into the channel comps too!

As NB mentioned it was only the very early E series as well the A and B series that had transformers. I've only seen a handful of E series with transformers and they were jensens.

I had no issues hitting the line inputs with hot kicks snares and bass.. Granted it's not as sweet as a 1073 but still very functional and cleaner!

Can't wait to get behind it again next weekend.

Wiggy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search