The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 312 style line output question
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

API 312 style line output question

I'm considering buying an API or a clone, like the WA12, and I'm wondering if I would be able to drive it pretty hard for coloration without anything else after it just going straight into the Apollo twin. If the twin is all the way turned down, will I be able to hit it pretty hard or will I still overload it too easily? Also considering an 1176 in between the two.
Thanks
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Maniac

The API 512V with output level control lets you drive the preamp as hard as you wish and feed the twin at a level it likes.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedude View Post
I'm considering buying an API or a clone, like the WA12, and I'm wondering if I would be able to drive it pretty hard for coloration without anything else after it just going straight into the Apollo twin. If the twin is all the way turned down, will I be able to hit it pretty hard or will I still overload it too easily? Also considering an 1176 in between the two.
Thanks
Api 512v and some others companies does that but my choice would be the new Avedis MD7, which could also be a great reamper and have a stellar DI.

As said by Apisez you could "drive" the preamp as hard as you like, and with the attenuation knob enter in the interface with the desired level (which I'd suggest being at about -12 or -9 with max peaks).

Cheu
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

The WA12 doesn't have an attenuation knob, so when I want to drive it I just use an inline XLR pad going out into the interface.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search