The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help: Orion 32+ w B2 ADC vs. RME Madi + B80 Mothership
Old 25th December 2016
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
As far as DAC duties I am very pleased with the Orion 32+ discrete dac that comes from their pure 2. In this case the difference between the regular Orion dac's and the pure is pretty striking . More so than the burl and Orion adc. I am very happy with that as a feature as well as the improved audio quality it exudes on all levels over the first gen Orion which I liked but still left me wanting more. It sounded no better than the 192's I often use in a SSL 8000 room I work out of.

Understood about the 2 monitoring DAC's in the Orion 32+, but what about the 32 "normal" DAC's? According to Antelope there should be no audible difference between the Ver1 of the Orion32 and the +. Are you hearing a difference there?
Old 25th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
I have used both and both sound great.

Get one and make some music.
Skyblue's answer the right answer. Use either - in the end your clients will never, ever, ever care one way or the other.
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Nut
I think I can hear a difference between the old Orion and the newer one. I think it might be due to power supply upgrades and other subtle but important design evolution. The newer one just sounds cleaner ,less congested to my ears, for what it's worth....
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Antelope Orion cannot be compared to Burl. Orion sounds a bit below mediocre, good price for a number of channels and shiny front panel but the sound quality itself cannot be compared to really good converters - a kind of plain, slightly sterile sound, without subtle details and depth. Burl is in a different audio quality level, sounds great but it adds something to the sound (that can be flattering at times). Apogee sounds better than Orion too.
Do you happen to have a Burl B2 / Orion? Have you had the chance to use both together in a real world situation for a good enough time to make these evaluations. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I've been testing both Burl Mothership and Orion 32 clocked off my Trinity / 10M and now 10MX for quite sometime. All I can say is that I enjoy the AD of the Burl a lot and also the Orion depending on what I'm tracking. Sometimes the Orion AD is what the track calls for if I'm coming from my Prophet 5 into a NEVE flavor pre through into an 1176 to distort a sound and need the material to be less analog to fit into a 100 track project. I have a Burl Mothership with an AD4/DA8 going to my SSL 4056 E/G, Pultec EQP1S3's/SHADOW HILLS MC . I feel depending on the program material and what I'm tracking the AD is always depending. After two years of real world the Orion is a great box that offers 32 Stellar DA's out to my SSL Console. I could easily buy more DA8's which I'm going to buy but for now I have 40 outs to my console and the Orion outs sound exactly what I need. I feel that my Tracks sometimes sound a bit less 3D coming out of the mothership and break up when the fader is pushed up higher in the CPU and SSL Faders compared to the Orion DA's. It could be that I track with the Burl and have a lot of analog on the two buss as well as the way I get my sounds from my front end. The Orion at first to me wasn't as big or warm until I was able to test at higher sample rates and possibly I'm a bit spoiled using a great 10MX in the past 10M clock. I now have the 10MX going into my Orion 32 out of Orion 32 Word Clock to Burl WC in and boyyy I feel spoiled at 96Khz. Anyway those are my real world evaluations. For anyone thinking about getting an Orion , adding a 10M/10MX does make it sound better but what it offers for me is incredible value. BTW Calvin Harris was making hits with a 2408 and many of hits were recorded using less. Dr Luke won awards using 192's and a Chandler TG2. It's the producer , ears , talent , not your converters ... I use them as examples because they seem to be incredible at tracking material on the front end and converters seem to be less important at this stage of production. Just my 2 Cents.

CAPITAL

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search