The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the best hardware tape emulation Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Hmm... reminds me of a company, whose name rhymes with Swearinger.
Chris
Look at the now expired Rocktron Tape simulator patent. Then look who cited it and look at the design. How many other products did this spawn? How many people saw this and used it without citing it?

Considering that innovation is in high demand, but hard to attain, its in every designer/inventor's best interest to protect their IP. Sometimes that means resorting to methods that discourage the sharing of your designs. Let's be clear, plagiarism is real.

Thanks
-L.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Right on. You may have missed it, I edited my post to include that I was ripped off, from an (very profitable) innovative music idea I had-many years ago.

Out of respect for the deceased individual's family and extended family (who I'm still close with)...I won't post the name of the very well known Record Company involved.

But it still happened...
Chris
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
If they were older, I'd use "Tiny Dancer" if they saw the "Almost Famous" Bus scene.

Chris
You mean the scene where everyone singing on the bus knows they're supposed to skip the pre-chorus and jump straight to the chorus?
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Old 18th April 2019
I just finished a mix with some tape simulation. I have RND 542's on the Lead vocals - truly beautiful, sat them in the mix no question unlike plain digital. Same for a blues guitar part that was harsh in the top end, it just sat in the mix like I was using tape (no brittle glassiness). Then the whole bus hit the Anamod first on one of the brighter settings and it sounded great, really brought the mix to life but rounded off the transients of the kick and stuck ;-) the track together. There's no doubt in my mind that these tools, what ever the cost make mixing easier in the way I used to enjoy Studer's, Ampex and Otari's sound. Balancing on a console while this was happening really rocked too. I'm glad I wasted all this money and space and I don't miss real tape neither.
The only thing that scares me is that Acustica Taupe might sound better in the right applications. That plug is insane. Try it.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

I agree Paul. Taupe is the shiznik. Has vibe for days. CPU intensive tho.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

My only wish with Taupe was a few more options with how it rolls off down low.

Anamods allow you to keep all the super lows in. Same with the UAD 102.

I feel Taupe can be a little heavy handed when it comes to the high pass in most of the presets...
Old 20th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
My only wish with Taupe was a few more options with how it rolls off down low.

Anamods allow you to keep all the super lows in. Same with the UAD 102.

I feel Taupe can be a little heavy handed when it comes to the high pass in most of the presets...
It's true there are many "lo-fi" lighter papery shades but there are also many deeper settings and also not using presets.
Old 20th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I agree Paul. Taupe is the shiznik. Has vibe for days. CPU intensive tho.
I'm late to the Acustica party for that reason, the draw on the power of my old computers was too much. Anyway back to hardware....
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Nut

I know this might be saying water is wet to 95% on here.... but im starting to believe the "tape sound" isnt just the tape machine but a combo of the chain preceding it... and I think most importantly the musicians playing and the music being recorded.

For example If I ran an edm record through the best 60's rig with tube pre's and a tape recorder the end result still wouldnt make me go "thats the sound of tape".

But on the discussion now.... Ive now had hands on experience with zulu and overstayer MAS and to me they both do cool transient shaving especially of the top end which reminds me of tape. The main benefit of hardware IMO is the immediacy of the controls... being able to track with them and having to STICK to a decision.

I have gotten very acceptable and close results by running a HF compressor and a HPF with a resonant boost and decapitator.. all ITB no fancy tape plugs. The problem is you always second guess yourself with software because you can always tweak..... with hardware you print and move on.

I think that the "tape sound" that people crave is more in good musicians and a good arrangement rather than a studer or a tape emulation. Yes these devices sound awesome and I use them myself but just getting that off my chest.

And im guilty of this as well asking several forum members for their opinion of the "best" units. But im realizing all the units do one simple thing.... they produce saturation (and some eq and filtering obviously)... its all going to sound different just like one tape machine to the next is going to sound different. The critical part here is the MUSIC being recorded.

If the beatles recorded their album to a ****ty 4 track lets say... then some ****ty garage band recorded their album at EMI studios.. we would still look back and try to emulate the sound of the beatles record.

Anyway this is a very un-gearslutz thing to say. Especially because I love gear and believe it is a part of the process but ive seen too many people.... myself included get too hung up on the piece being used. I feel like there are many other factors that constitute the tape sound...... then you add the saturation that we all love that ties it together. And that saturation is just taste... One day I like zulu one day I like the overstayer circuit... one day I like plugins.. Decapitator is awesome...It doesnt say "tape simulator" on it but anything that saturates to me is a tape simulator pretty much.

Also I think that running things through these boxes MULTIPLE times gives the effect we all love. If you just slam it you get actual "distortion" but if you hit a box like the zulu... mas and I assume any other tape simulator very lightly and makes 2 or 3 passes I find that the results are much more pleasing... depending on what you are going for. I know a lot of you guys have chains with 3 or 4 units and I think that is the real key to getting the sound in one pass. Is lightly touching each one so you dont overdo it (unless you want that distortion obviously). My chain (when I get my modular channel in the mail) to get the "tape" sound will be a BAE 1073MP -> Overstayer Modular Channel with Zulu or Retro Revolver (also on order) on the Insert. Ill report back in when the two pieces in the mail are with me.

Also might buy a silver bullet. Was gonna sell the BAE to get one but Im going to test the BAE chain first because I love that unit.

One more analogy.... when first learning piano I thought that If I learned my scales and got up to "virtuoso" speed than I would be as good as the best piano players on the planet. I **** you not I ONLY practiced scales for 2 years. I got really good at scales and still sucked at piano.... When I started to learn chords... rhythm... voicings... leaving space... musicality... it came together. Its the whole equation not one part.

Anyway I know this is "water is wet" to most people here. Discuss on.

EDIT: and to the people saying "just use tape" ..... We are supposed to progress as time goes on..... Why the **** would I ever want to deal with the hassle of tape ever again especially with all the great tools we have to achieve that same sound nowadays.
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamoleisgreen View Post
I know this might be saying water is wet to 95% on here.... but im starting to believe the "tape sound" isnt just the tape machine but a combo of the chain preceding it... and I think most importantly the musicians playing and the music being recorded.

For example If I ran an edm record through the best 60's rig with tube pre's and a tape recorder the end result still wouldnt make me go "thats the sound of tape".

But on the discussion now.... Ive now had hands on experience with zulu and overstayer MAS and to me they both do cool transient shaving especially of the top end which reminds me of tape. The main benefit of hardware IMO is the immediacy of the controls... being able to track with them and having to STICK to a decision.

I have gotten very acceptable and close results by running a HF compressor and a HPF with a resonant boost and decapitator.. all ITB no fancy tape plugs. The problem is you always second guess yourself with software because you can always tweak..... with hardware you print and move on.

I think that the "tape sound" that people crave is more in good musicians and a good arrangement rather than a studer or a tape emulation. Yes these devices sound awesome and I use them myself but just getting that off my chest.

And im guilty of this as well asking several forum members for their opinion of the "best" units. But im realizing all the units do one simple thing.... they produce saturation (and some eq and filtering obviously)... its all going to sound different just like one tape machine to the next is going to sound different. The critical part here is the MUSIC being recorded.

If the beatles recorded their album to a ****ty 4 track lets say... then some ****ty garage band recorded their album at EMI studios.. we would still look back and try to emulate the sound of the beatles record.

Anyway this is a very un-gearslutz thing to say. Especially because I love gear and believe it is a part of the process but ive seen too many people.... myself included get too hung up on the piece being used. I feel like there are many other factors that constitute the tape sound...... then you add the saturation that we all love that ties it together. And that saturation is just taste... One day I like zulu one day I like the overstayer circuit... one day I like plugins.. Decapitator is awesome...It doesnt say "tape simulator" on it but anything that saturates to me is a tape simulator pretty much.

Also I think that running things through these boxes MULTIPLE times gives the effect we all love. If you just slam it you get actual "distortion" but if you hit a box like the zulu... mas and I assume any other tape simulator very lightly and makes 2 or 3 passes I find that the results are much more pleasing... depending on what you are going for. I know a lot of you guys have chains with 3 or 4 units and I think that is the real key to getting the sound in one pass. Is lightly touching each one so you dont overdo it (unless you want that distortion obviously). My chain (when I get my modular channel in the mail) to get the "tape" sound will be a BAE 1073MP -> Overstayer Modular Channel with Zulu or Retro Revolver (also on order) on the Insert. Ill report back in when the two pieces in the mail are with me.

Also might buy a silver bullet. Was gonna sell the BAE to get one but Im going to test the BAE chain first because I love that unit.

One more analogy.... when first learning piano I thought that If I learned my scales and got up to "virtuoso" speed than I would be as good as the best piano players on the planet. I **** you not I ONLY practiced scales for 2 years. I got really good at scales and still sucked at piano.... When I started to learn chords... rhythm... voicings... leaving space... musicality... it came together. Its the whole equation not one part.

Anyway I know this is "water is wet" to most people here. Discuss on.

EDIT: and to the people saying "just use tape" ..... We are supposed to progress as time goes on..... Why the **** would I ever want to deal with the hassle of tape ever again especially with all the great tools we have to achieve that same sound nowadays.
Good stuff. I would also say that part of the “tape sound” aside from what it does to individual tracks is the glueing effect of having it on every track, similar to recording everything with the same preamp or running subtle amounts of multiple tracks through the same reverb.
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Head

I want a Zulu.
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamoleisgreen View Post
I would love to have a tape deck. I think it would be fun to use, and it will have a distinctive sonic signature, that'll be different than any tape emulator that one can get ATM. Whether it's better or worse would most likely vary depending on how it's used and for what.

The dissuading factors would be the cost and dealing with maintenance, but other than that I don't see how it'll be that much more of a hassle than any other music production task.

I respect people who go through that "trouble", if it's that. I respect those who crave for authenticity at all costs. That's a good thing, not necessarily something to belittle. I once saw a cooking show with the great chef Masaharu Morimoto, where he was making sushi, and while discussing the importance of preparing the rice, he pulls out his own rice husker. The dude had his own effin' rice huller! - how intense is that? Who has one, who does that? Likewise, an audio person who loves it so much they're still using tape, that's something to be admired...
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear
There is no such plug-in. They all fall way short.

Sorry, but its the truth.
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
There is no such plug-in. They all fall way short.

Sorry, but its the truth.
"its the truth" to who? you? But im not going to argue because the thread is named "best hardware simulation"

But read a few responses up and you'll see a good contender from multiple people...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search