The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADK Microphones-Custom Shop
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict

ADK Microphones-Custom Shop

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a good mic, and I'm considering the ADK CS line. This would be just for a home studio. The music I like is mostly 60s/70s...The Beatles, Elton John, Rolling Stones. I know they used mostly U47s and U67s and U87s. So the CS-47 or the CS-67 would probably be something I would like, right?

Also, I guess there is a choice of transformer, Jensen, Lundahl, Sowter. What might the recommendation be with that? Front End Audio says "Lundahl transformers are known for their flat-frequency-response. So, nothing is hyped here. This is a great choice with the CS-67 variant (makes the CS-67-L). The Lundahl keeps the top smooth and the perception of the midrange is that it is increased. The lows stay well behaved - not bloomy. But certainly not a boring choice of transformer! The music is in the mid-range. "

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Nut

I've got an ADK Area 51 TT 9-pattern tube microphone that is, more or less, the forerunner of the custom shop line. It has a less fancy paint job, the grill isn't chromed, it has a different capsule than the CS models and the transformer is made in China. Some of the other components were supposedly upgraded over the course of it's evolution from version II through IV, but it is a very respectable microphone. There is a 5dB rise between 10K and 15K with the stock capsule, however, and the CS designs supposedly address that issue by offering capsules that tame the peak. I have found Larry Villella (ADK founder) to be very approachable and extremely helpful when asking questions about his microphones. He'll send you private emails and even talk to you on the phone! Great customer service! I've never heard the CS versions of the TT, but I can't imagine that they would be all that different than the stock version, which would be a good thing. I use my TT all the time and consider it a real bargain in this bloated marketplace of re-tooled Chinese microphones.

Last edited by Scullyfan; 28th August 2016 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Addict

Thank you for the reply!

I see also that ADK has budget versions in the Custom Shop line, which are $2000 cheaper!

They say, "The Custom TC is an affordable tube mic for when you want the classic, delicious vintage sound, but don’t need the refinement, premium components, customization or quality finishing of ADK's flagship microphone: the Z-MOD."

I'd like a really good mic, so I wonder if the 2 grand extra would be worth it for me. Mics I use now are Rode NTK, AT4047, AT4033, Soundelux U195. Don't want to make a lateral move, and I know it's not all about price but finding the right mic.

If I were to go the 3 grand route, I imagine there are other choices I suppose I should consider in the U87, U67, U47 vein.

More feedback welcome.
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Nut

The TC is the cardioid-only version of the TT and it is somewhat less expensive, though it shares the same 'look' that is instantly recognizable as an inexpensive Chinese import. Looks aside, the TT is a very good microphone at any price. I've got the IV version and it holds its own with some of the classics. I'm not sure about the TC or the pre-hemi head grille versions of the TT, but you could certainly do worse in choosing a microphone for your home studio. I think the CS versions are a bit more refined at an elevated price point.
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullyfan View Post
The TC is the cardioid-only version of the TT and it is somewhat less expensive, though it shares the same 'look' that is instantly recognizable as an inexpensive Chinese import. Looks aside, the TT is a very good microphone at any price. I've got the IV version and it holds its own with some of the classics. I'm not sure about the TC or the pre-hemi head grille versions of the TT, but you could certainly do worse in choosing a microphone for your home studio. I think the CS versions are a bit more refined at an elevated price point.
Thanks once again Scullyfan!

They sure have a lot to choose from. And the Custom TC comes with a free Odin, which could be useful.

ADK seems to get good reviews. And they've got some good endorsements .

But maybe not too popular here?
Old 2nd September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by macle View Post
Thanks once again Scullyfan!

They sure have a lot to choose from. And the Custom TC comes with a free Odin, which could be useful.

ADK seems to get good reviews. And they've got some good endorsements .

But maybe not too popular here?
I don't know - I think there's lots of great publicity here for ADK.

Enough to make me want to check them out - I bought a 251 z mod after demoing it and others (I've not heard their other z mods, only the lower range models).

Great company to deal with too.
Old 3rd September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I don't know - I think there's lots of great publicity here for ADK.

Enough to make me want to check them out - I bought a 251 z mod after demoing it and others (I've not heard their other z mods, only the lower range models).

Great company to deal with too.
I did find this thread which is pretty positive.

adk-z-mods-anyone-using-them

I also saw a thread elsewhere where there seemed to be some sort of negativity but with no real explanation as to why.
Old 3rd September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by macle View Post
I did find this thread which is pretty positive.

adk-z-mods-anyone-using-them

I also saw a thread elsewhere where there seemed to be some sort of negativity but with no real explanation as to why.
Yes, I read another thread a while back which encouraged me to demo them.

I've been using my Z-mod 251 today on a girl singer (kinda Birdy-esque). We tried 67 (that I used on her last time), Wagner 47, and the 251 was the best - for this song, though all 3 sounded good.

From that other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
Just to add one more thing, while the Z-mods may be top of the line, the ADK Custom Shop Vienna 12-T-FET is no slouch either.

I got mine from Warren 4 months ago and just love the open, smooth top end on acoustic instruments. It is the only capacitor mic that I can stand to use on fiddle. Sounds great on my jangley old Gibson J-50 acoustic guitar.
I also agree with this comment!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search