The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UTA or RPNG? or Gordon? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Nut

UTA or RPNG? or Gordon?

I've had a lot of different preamps from BAE, GR, Capi, API, Purple, ADL presonus etc . I'm not doing much tracking these days, I've considered selling the preamps and getting one or two channels of versatile badass pre mainly for vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, sometimes electric guitar. Something with "resolution" pristine unhyped highs and nice bottom, not overly colored , not boring. but versatile.

RPNG , GORDON, UTA, or maybe John Hardy ? Don't have any experience at all with these 4, any recommendations? Pop ,Jazz, Blues, Hip Hop, Rock. (not heavy stuff)

Last edited by reflix; 26th August 2016 at 08:25 AM..
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

If I were you I'd keep the BAE you have, sell the rest and TEST in your place:
NPNG
UTA
Forssell
Hardy

And see what do YOU prefer with your mics. Send back to the dealer the stuff you don't want/need.

These are all great pieces, at this level it's a matter of taste.

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 27th August 2016 at 12:29 PM..
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'd definitely include the Gordon.

It won't do coloured, though.

But boring it is not IMOAE.
Pristine but never artificial.

Versatile?
Depends how you look at it.
I say yes.
Maybe later add a serious colour box like a Creamer Plus and you're done for good.
No single pre will do it all.

Last edited by legato; 26th August 2016 at 11:58 AM..
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

Is rpng ... npng (no pain no gain)?
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
getting one or two channels of versatile badass pre mainly for vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, sometimes electric guitar. Something with "resolution" pristine unhyped highs and nice bottom, not overly colored , not boring. but versatile.
For me, it has been the Forssell SMP-2. It really shines with any mic you throw at it.
It sounds 3D, true, unhyped with a lovely bottom. If I had to own only one preamp, this would be this one.

That being said, try it for yourself, along with some Gordon, NPNG, etc...and take the one you prefer, as cheu78 said.

From what I have heard here and there, the Thermionic Culture Earlybird could also be a nice one to try.
Old 26th August 2016
Big fan of the NPNG DMP-2NW here. BIG!!
Get the NPNG Active DI to go with it. Whoa.
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

What you want is the UTA!!!
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Nut

thank you all for the advice, how about the crane song pre? 19" any good?
Old 27th August 2016
Here for the gear

I always found the UTA pre to be a little bright. It's not a bad thing, but it definitely has a sound. I have also had the cranesong flamingo. It actually shared a lot of characteristics with the UTA. It's also a great preamp. If you haven't looked into Aurora Audio, it could be a great option. Their preamps sound so good... Just amazing on vocals and drums... And pretty much everything else .
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Nut

Aurora Audio, yes I've seen good comments, thats more in the Neve side I guess. I own the GR500NV, I love it too, the high end is hard sometimes depending on the singer, I got to try that one and the gordon, rpng, etc
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Buzz Audio MA2.2 and you're done with clean, pristine without being boring.

Btw the Aurora is a very fine pre but clean it is not IMVHO
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflix View Post
I've had a lot of different preamps from BAE, GR, Capi, API, Purple, ADL presonus etc . I'm not doing much tracking these days, I've considered selling the preamps and getting one or two channels of versatile badass pre mainly for vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, sometimes electric guitar. Something with "resolution" pristine unhyped highs and nice bottom, not overly colored , not boring. but versatile.

RPNG , GORDON, UTA, or maybe John Hardy ? Don't have any experience at all with these 4, any recommendations? Pop ,Jazz, Blues, Hip Hop, Rock. (not heavy stuff)
It sounds to me like you are describing the Hardy mic amps.

I recommend them here for versatility, beautiful even sound with detail, high headroom, clean never boring, and very well built. M-1 has continuous gain control, M2 has stepped gain. Special Sony Classical edition is stellar and that one is a Jensen Twin Servo design.

I also have Gordon and it is outstanding. However, I do not consider it a universal mic amp because it is so revealing. Some sources cannot handle that.

1st. Recommend is Hardy
Next is DW FEARn VT-2 or Tube-Tech MP2A
Then Gordon Model 5
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Everything hes describing is the Fearn.
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Addict

If you can DIY I can recommend the Seventh Circle Audio J99 which is a Jensen Twin Servo/John Hardy style pre.

https://seventhcircleaudio.com/products/J99

They're ftted with a Lundhal LL1538XL input transformer (Lundhal's best mic transformer), a high nickel Cinemag output transformer and two 990 opamps.

I fitted a pair of Sonic Imagery 990 opamps to mine.

http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/prod...Enh-Ticha.html

If you only need one or two you can buy the 'One Shot' cases instead of the 8 slot rack.
The 'One Shots' also provide a high quality DI input.

https://seventhcircleaudio.com/products/PC01

The J99's are big and detailed with just a hint of what I would call subtle hi-fi euphonic coloration.
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Nut

I did some guitar tracking today..., all I have to say is I'm not selling any of my pres.....maybe the ADL.......
Got to try the Hardy, RPNG , I love my capi with 990 opamp too....sounds amazing
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Don't sell the ADL

Do you mean NPNG?
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love my capi with 990 opamp too....sounds amazing
What CAPI model do you use with the 990?
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
Don't sell the ADL

Do you mean NPNG?
I second this.
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzjoe View Post
What CAPI model do you use with the 990?
vp26 capi
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
Don't sell the ADL

Do you mean NPNG?

yes NPNG....sorry

The one i got is the ADL700 , 3d sounding pre, clean with character, very dynamic, lots of headrom, not my favorite D.I, the compressor is ok but not for everything, very aggressive and unforgiving, the eq is alright, the unit is high end no doubt, I just got it (3 weeks).....used in good shape ,sounds great on acoustic guitar and vocals.

BTW, what are the main uses for the ADL in your studio?
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

I have the ADL 600 - I guess I don't know very much about the 700.

I have used it for acoustic guitar and vocals and a few other odds and ends. Also D.I. for electric guitar. Next I'm going to use it for overheads. To me the 600 is a great preamp that operates well above its price class, and now they stopped making them.

Last edited by antichef; 30th August 2016 at 10:37 PM..
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

When trying to replace a preamp collection with a single one, the main factor should be versatility.
One-trick ponies amongst the preamps can cover all recording needs only if they are 100% transparent. But then when you want a bit of "juice" they can't deliver. And also, can they also be used to insert into your mix-bus? And do they have a great DI input? All of these factors are important for the genres you work with.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Hardy is a good recommendation but, there was a similar thread last year or so, and they ended up falling in love with the Avalon AD2022 before they could get their hands on a Hardy.

There are so many choices now. Of the preamps I own, I would recommend the Rascal Two-V in a 500 format. Then again, it might not be pristine enough, or could be too similar to what you've already owned.

I've been wanting to try this one though.

Vertigo VSP-2
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

NPNG is great, fwiw. No D.I. or line input on the basic model, though.

I have the two channel version and I'm thinking about getting two more channels installed, but I honestly don't want to be without it for very long.
Old 11th September 2016
Gear Nut

Lotta good recommendations , the Vertigo sound preamp looks amazing........curious about the Avalon AD2022 too , I want to try the NPNG badly.
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Head

Has anyone mentioned the Pueblo Audio preamps yet? They'd have to be at (or near) the top of the heap here IMO.
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Addict

I tried to downsize as much as possible and went through a listening hunt with just about 'everything out there. I found the tools needed to quench my palet : the Neve 1073 staple, multiple channels NPNG , UTA with eq's , Fern and Pendulum. Just can't do without the group. Happy hunting and listening ! Going to test the Chandler REDD however, have a couple coming.
Old 24th November 2016
Gear Addict

+1 NPNG - Its hyper cool with driiiiiiive!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search