The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Voxbox (UAD unison) + cash OR Heritage DMA73 with u67
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Nut

Manley Voxbox (UAD unison) + cash OR Heritage DMA73 with u67

Hey!

My plan was to sell some gear to buy a Heritage Audio DMA73 preamp for my u67 but trying the new Manley Voxbox UNISON preamp had me wondering if it's really worth it?

I demo'd both the NEVE 1073 and Manley Voxbox UNISON pre's and I REALLY like the sound of the Manley, SOOOOO good.... The Neve unison pre sounds good but too much in the mids (because the mic already got a lot of mids).

I guess my question is if it's worth it or not? I mean how much better does the Heritage sound compared to the Neve Unison PRE? Do you think I'll still feel like it's too much mids even with the hardware?

The Manley Voxbox evens out everything instead of putting even more mids.. Love the sound of the plug-in / unison.

So 1700$ (1350$ after I've bought the manley unison) left for other stuff or 0$ and a heritage audio DMA73.

What do you guys think?

Best Regards
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Honestly, the Unison pres are so good, I would just go with those. In a mix, i doubt anyone will be able to point out "Hey those sound like Unison pres" Lol
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

If you really like how it sounds, isn't that ultimately what matters?
Old 25th August 2016
Sounds like you know what you like. You could check out some Manley HW pres since you like the emulation. Also, the Heritage is going to be more of that tone/ sound profile you say you do not prefer with your U67.
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

do not be deceived.

hardware>plugins…period.

ej
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Nut
Hardware/Software, i don't care.

But owning a u67 and pluggin it directly into a an Interface.
Not really Gentleman like
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

I sold my console and all of my outboard pres and only use the preamps in an Apollo 8 now. Drastically simplified so I could focus more on creating than engineering.

Whether or not you buy that external pre probably won't matter in terms of simplicity, but if you don't hear a decent amount of benefit from the unison pres to that piece then maybe your money would be better spent somewhere else. As for me, once I downsized and kept just the pieces that I felt really made a great impact on my sounds, I became a lot more proficient in my creativity.

Obviously to each his own. There is not right or wrong way here - only what you feel is best for you.
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
I sold my console and all of my outboard pres and only use the preamps in an Apollo 8 now. Drastically simplified so I could focus more on creating than engineering.

Whether or not you buy that external pre probably won't matter in terms of simplicity, but if you don't hear a decent amount of benefit from the unison pres to that piece then maybe your money would be better spent somewhere else. As for me, once I downsized and kept just the pieces that I felt really made a great impact on my sounds, I became a lot more proficient in my creativity.

Obviously to each his own. There is not right or wrong way here - only what you feel is best for you.
THIS^^^

Fact is if the legendary engineers of yesteryear could have had 20 1073s on a uad octo card when the 1073 was introduced in the A88 console (and for faaaaar less $) which do you think they would have chosen?

Yes hardware sounds great, software sounds great and no the audience can not tell a bit of difference.

Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

Try the unison API with VOXBOX! The API sounds more like a hardware pre to me!

Ill E trying the VOXBOX this weekend. The 610 A and B are pretty good as well!

I Focusrite ISA One seems cleaner than the unison but it's also slighter flatter in a less flattering way! I maybe going 100% unison soon!

The pre 73 was a little thin to me.
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Addict

A U67 with 1073 pre is a classic chain. Get the sound right in analog and then process it in the box. It is my aproach.
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
As for me, once I downsized and kept just the pieces that I felt really made a great impact on my sounds, I became a lot more proficient in my creativity.
Curious, what are the pieces that you decided to keep that made the great impact on your sound?

The Unison pres are really amazing. If you feel comfortable with them then spend the money elsewhere in my opinion.
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Nut

I have to say two things:

1. Vox box hardware is an average sounding unite. Nothing special.
2. If you want to enjoy the truth of analog - get analog.
3. based on some recent virtual analog synth test and voting that another company ran, we now enter into an era that people do not really know what analog is.

I think I lost my ability to count....
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducedByRiot View Post
Curious, what are the pieces that you decided to keep that made the great impact on your sound?

The Unison pres are really amazing. If you feel comfortable with them then spend the money elsewhere in my opinion.
Kept:
Bricasti
Aurora Audio GTC2 compressor
Rupert Neve MBP

Sold:
AML ez1073 (2)
AML 54f50 (2)
UA 1176
Warm Audio WA76
UBK FATSO
Kush Electra (2)
Serpent Audio SB4001
UA M610
UA LA610 MkII
UA 6176
Lexicon PCM 91
Retro Instruments Sta Level
DBX 160a (2)
Trident Series T24 console

I don't miss any of it. With maybe the exception of the Electras - they just have this cool ability to pinpoint things in the upper freqs. The Sta Level was great on my vox too but I really like the Aurora GTC2 in combo mode now. All of this stuff was great and I really appreciate it - but honestly I could get what I felt was virtually the same effect with plugins. Keep in mind I'm a musician and songwriter first and an engineer second. All I really care about is good arrangements, good performances and gear that does what I want - I no longer care if that's hardware or software.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search