The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shock mount for Neumann SM69 Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Shock mount for Neumann SM69

I just got a Neumann SM69, and I already love it, but I can't do much with it until I have a good mount. I have accumulated a bunch of shock mounts and regular clips but none of them seems right - either too big or too small. Any suggestions?
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

They don't make the EA30A anymore, and I'm not sure who makes a shock mount that will securely fit the 69. Rycote has some options that may work.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks - I guess I figured that. The OD is 30mm, I think. I'll look at the Rycote mounts, and I bet I'll be in great shape.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

I looked. The Rycote INV8, or the Universal Shock Mount will both fit. Just depends which form factor you want. BH Photo has them the cheapest.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Awesome. I had actually just ordered both of those based on your earlier comment. I think the universal mount will be good generally and the inv8 for tighter spots like pianos and stuff. Thanks again
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Just stumbled on this. I wonder how well this works:

AT8481 - Innovative Isolation Clamp for 50 Series | Audio-Technica

Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Sexx - aay that is. I don't have the inv8 yet but if it doesn't work well I'm definitely looking into that one
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

well... I have to say the INV8 is not appropriate - it fits the diameter of the mic really well, but the weight of the mic puts a lot of stress on the suspension part of the mount, and the mic winds up sagging and joggle-bouncing around a lot. I attached a picture (although a video would probably be more appropriate so you could see the bounciness) - the picture is supposed to be with the mic pointing upward - sometimes they get rotated. You can see the mic sagging.

But otherwise the INV8 is a fine piece of kit - I'll be able to use it with lighter mics I'm sure. The Rycote universal mount works fine, as well, but it doesn't have the side aspect bias that the INV8 has.

So now.. to check out that AT mount! It says it's intended for the 50 series of AT mics. I looked at the 5045 specs, and that one is 25mm in diameter, and the 5040 is 57mm, while the SM69 is 30mm - encouraging...
Attached Thumbnails
Shock mount for Neumann SM69-_20160901_173710.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

I can tell you that the Neumann IC6 is an excellent swivel mount for the stereomic.

Always puts the mic in the proper position and angle for a great pick up.

NOt a shock mount but an excellent accessory.
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Oh, man. Sorry I gave you a bum steer. :(
Old 3rd September 2016
Lives for gear

I had already identified and ordered it before you posted. Definitely looked like the way to go.

I'm now going to check out the AT (thanks again jjblair) and the Neumann mounts (thanks Plush). But with the Rycote universal, I can already actually use the mic, which is a great thing - I was dead in the water before that. I doubt many things could bug us sltz worse than having a great sounding mic like that without being able to use it

Last edited by antichef; 3rd September 2016 at 02:40 PM..
Old 5th September 2016
Gear Guru

The Rycote USM (or USM-L) is the one to get - the INV-8 is designed for horizontal mounting and the SM 69 is mounted vertically.
Old 26th November 2016
Gear Head

I've been looking as well.

Can't find a U.S. distributor who sells the AT8481. Worries me that it's intended for a 25mm diameter mic tho. Noticed that the AT5040 you mentioned has its own shock mount (AT8480) so I doubt that the 8481 works for the whole 50 series. I could be wrong!

This company makes a copy of the original Neumann mount: VSM02 - Violet-Design

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search