The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
So No More 456 Tape For my Vortexion CBL6 15 ips 1/4 2 TR
Old 22nd February 2007
So No More 456 Tape For my Vortexion CBL6 15 ips 1/4 2 TR

OK Chaps! I want to know what to stick on it now Quantegy aint going to be making anymore 456. Problem is the old beast has 8 1/4 maximum reel size so its 7" probably
the limit or do you know different.
http://www.atkinsoft.com/cblad.html

Anybody else got one per chance.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Nut

RMGI have revived the EMTEC (nee BASF) tape range. I'd definitely go with their SM 911 tape, or it's 1 thou opposite number, LPR 35, as replacements for 456. Both available on a wide range of reels and pancakes. I'm not certain if 8 1/4" reels are in the range though. (Are these the same as the NAB-hub Ampex aluminium reels I have? They only can hold as much tape as a conventional 7 inch plastic reel.) Both of these tape types are available on 7 inch plastic reels though.
Old 22nd February 2007
Cheers Jay

I will have to get some as the old tube tape mastering is getting popular again round here, normally I just use the old beast for the pre amps and don't need any tape.
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear Nut

Glad to help! I'm getting good mileage still out of an Ampex 354 valve 2 track I have (7 1/2/15 IPS NAB or 7 1/2 NAB/15 AME--just switch out some EQ cans and off you go!) that was made in 1963. I'd love to hear what that Vortexion does for mixes too....
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for Jesus

The RMG tape is working GREAT here, Ive been rolling tape on every tracking session in the last 2 months

RMG 911 = 456
RMG 900 = GP9

Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

wow did not realise there are a few purists who still record on 2 inch 456 tape.I love the warmth and bottom end of tape dynamics providing the machine has been lined up accurately for 100 hz,1K and 10K.Sorry i cannot answer your question as i have not touched a tape for 12 years....we have all fallen into the convenient digital age not only in audio but sadly film as well.
Tambi Fernando
Tambi Studios - Dubai film production services company
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

I know its an old thread, but Zonal is still making 1/4" tape and on 7" reels. Their 700 is the 456 equivalent.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
RMG 911 = 456

That's an old post, but I quoted it just to say "not true." 911 = .

My favorite 456 was (still is) Quantegy's formula from the late 90's. Still got 8 reels here that see perpetual use and probably always will.

Haven't tried the Zonal. I wish someone somewhere would reissue Scotch 1XX or 2XX series, that stuff had such a color but every reel I manage to unearth sheds like crazy.

Hence, the reels of 456 in daily use.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search